collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Growing Up is Hard to Do  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Growing Up is Hard to Do
« on: September 28, 2019, 02:56:55 PM »
Well, that happened.  It was entertaining which is more than I can say of the second half of this season.

Spoiler
I noticed they never asked Pinkie Pie.  If you'll allow me a TeamFourStar references.
CMC: We need an adult!
Pinkie Pie: I am an adult!
CMC: No. No you are not.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 03:17:11 PM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline milkywaymochi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Up is Hard to Do
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 10:25:23 AM »
True, you could see the moral/resolution coming from a mile off, but that wasn't really an issue for me this time. The journey to said resolution was entertaining, and the episode as a whole was enjoyable enough for me, which is a big upgrade from almost every other episode in this season.
I liked spur and adult sweetie belle's designs, and I forget what the name of the tornado creature was, but it was pretty cute!

This episode also basically confirmed that scootaloo will never be able to fly. if you look at it as the pegasus equivalent of being physically disabled, I can kind of appreciate them going for that option; though who knows if that's what they intended, or if they just couldn't be bothered to give a definite answer.  :shrug:

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 10:36:32 AM »
This is one of the latest episodes ever. And by that, I mean this episode really should have been done ages ago - like season 3 or 4.  :|
It feels weird that the CMC are talked down as little kids despite them having matured quite a bit up to this point.
That said, it is cool to finally see them in their canonical adult forms. I absolutely love Sweetie Belle's design. Her thick eyeliner stands out.  :biggrin:
I also like the subtle touch with their voices. It's not too little that it's unnoticeable, but not too much that it becomes distracting.
Glad to see that crazy station pony again. And apparently he has asthma.
The two kids, Spur and Biscuit, were okay. I really like Spur's design though.  ^.^
Bloofy, the "whirling mungtooth", is pretty cute. Fyi, I looked it up. I don't think it's based on any existing creature.
And of course I have to mention the Dorothy cameo.  :P
This was a fun episode with an admittedly standard plot. Plus some of the dialogue is a little too on the nose.
Oh, and the song was fine. I'm not an expert in the slightest when it comes to music.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 05:17:45 PM by TJgamer »
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 11:46:33 AM »
I really liked this episode! I have been quite disappointed with most episodes in this season, but this one was a good one. :) It was so fun seeing the CMCs as grown-ups, and Sweetie Belle was sooooo pretty! I just loved her design, those eyelashes! <3 Spur's design was really good as well, wow the colors they chose on her! So unusual, and so eye-catching. Loved it!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 11:58:03 AM »
I liked this episode! Not too much to say that hasn't already been said. I just enjoyed seeing the designs.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 05:03:08 PM »
The Dorothy reference was a given with a tornado monster.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 01:25:26 PM »

This episode also basically confirmed that scootaloo will never be able to fly. if you look at it as the pegasus equivalent of being physically disabled, I can kind of appreciate them going for that option; though who knows if that's what they intended, or if they just couldn't be bothered to give a definite answer.  :shrug:
Has this been outright confirmed in this episode via words?  Because;

The size of the wings shouldn't really make a difference.

Even if they do, it could just be that they litterally grew as they were - it doesn't have to reflect their true growth, unless the episode says it does (I have not watched any Season 9 episodes yet, but will soon.)

As a side note; anyone else think the CMC don't even look grown up in this?  I've seen pictures of them, and it just looks like they made their foal forms bigger - I think this is something the fandom did better.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 04:11:18 PM »
I still want to know how her wings can produce the thrust needed to push her scooter through the dirt, but not to get her off the ground.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 04:18:27 PM »
I still want to know how her wings can produce the thrust needed to push her scooter through the dirt, but not to get her off the ground.
It would make sense if they had just gone with "She hasn't figured it out yet" which is what Lauren said once (no, I'm not saying everything she says is gospel, this is just something she said.)  It would make it sound like there's no physical problem, she just doesn't know how to do it yet.

I'm definitely not saying my headcanon is gospel (especially as this particular one has been proved wrong), but if my headcanon of her parents being earth ponies had been right, it would have also helped.  Though I think her canon parents aren't around much, so it could still work - like she hasn't anyone to help her learn for years, so she never did.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 09:13:20 AM »
This ep (like some other S9 ones) felt to me like it should have happened in an earlier season. It wasn't bad, just too late somehow.

I don't mind Scootaloo having small wings still. I take it as a form of disability or stunted growth.

I do mind Sweetie Belle getting instant eyeliner, tho :P That's dumb. She didn't inherit thick eyelashes, either. We all know Rarity's are fake :lol:

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 01:13:51 PM »
This ep (like some other S9 ones) felt to me like it should have happened in an earlier season. It wasn't bad, just too late somehow.
I tend to get that feeling with some of the later-season episodes, like season four-onwards (I know season four isn't recent), like they would have made more sense in season one, or even before season one - if that was possible.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 09:11:35 AM »
Spoiler
It felt like they were learning the same lesson from seasons ago about waiting to grow up. I also didn't get the out-of-the-blue transformation with the dog. There wasn't any explanation for it. It just happened and then of course Fluttershy came in and spent 5 seconds on it and everything was hunky dory again. Getting pretty tired of that with Fluttershy.

Offline Shadowperla

• Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 12:54:54 PM »
I always assumed that Scootaloo not flying was a hidden jab at non-g4 having stylised small wings...still hoped she'll grow working :(

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 02:53:40 AM »
I always assumed that Scootaloo not flying was a hidden jab at non-g4 having stylised small wings.

It really says something about G4 when so many things can be interpreted as "jabs" at G1-G3 :|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 03:45:28 AM »
To be honest, I always found myself assuming there were more homages to G1-G3.5 than "jabs" - I was wrong on a few accounts, like (pegasus) G1 Twilight's cutie mark being on Twilight Sparkle's door at the Golden Oak Library (it was a coincidence), but I always founded it easier to assume they were celebrating the older generations than mocking them, especially in a bad way.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal