collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Southampton is creeped out by Bronies  (Read 4225 times)

Hexi

• Trade Count: (0)
Southampton is creeped out by Bronies
« on: May 22, 2013, 08:27:09 AM »
This always makes me giggle (and feel shame that i'm even considered part of the same fandom) but my local Toys 'R' Us store in Southampton (UK) has moved their MLP section to the front of the store because mums were complaining about the crowds of 20+ year old males hanging around the little girls' section.

it's pretty cringe worthy that i am even considered a member of the same fandom but at the same time it makes me laugh at how ridiculous my mental image of all those men skulking around the girls' section is.

at least it makes the ponies easier to find, i don't have to go hunting around the entire section and be tempted by all the other cool toys now!

has anyone had anything similar in stores near them? Have any of the mums here complained about bronies in a store?

(DISCLAIMER: I'm not asking to judge people. creepy bronies are creepy. i'm just curious.  ^.^)

[by hathorcat]
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:11:57 PM by hathorcat »

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
Re: Southampton is creeped out by Bronies
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 08:39:58 AM »
What on earth were they doing that was 'move the section' complaint worthy? That's the worrying part.

And no, nothing like that has happened in stores where I am. The only problems I  ever see in the toy sections is when two carts collide or a toddler decides that it's 'spread everything on the floor' hour.

...which is pretty cute, but I never say that to their frustrated parent. I just help pick up.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Aednatia

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 09:12:59 AM »
I do like the idea of the section moving to say the end cap so it isn't in the actually isle its self. I too get easily distracted by the other toys, every time I pass the LaLa Loopies I really want to start collecting them. Also kinda interested in the Monster High, Novi Stars and some others but they are in a different isle.

Sad to say we seem to have a different prominent perversion with men in the the little boys areas then in the girls.

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:16:37 AM »
What on earth were they doing that was 'move the section' complaint worthy? That's the worrying part.

And no, nothing like that has happened in stores where I am. The only problems I  ever see in the toy sections is when two carts collide or a toddler decides that it's 'spread everything on the floor' hour.

...which is pretty cute, but I never say that to their frustrated parent. I just help pick up.

They might have not been doing anything. The mothers probably felt uncomfortable that men (that are most likely not parents) were in the girl section and enough complained to have it moved.
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »
I have to agree with Bow Tie on this one. The moms are probably unfamiliar with the fan base and are nervous.  They have a right to feel that way. This whole thing is unusual for parents who are not toy collectors or don't know male toy collectors.  If it was concerning to enough moms, it hurts nothing to move the display. I think its a grand idea personally, the move is a quiet way to solve a difficult situation without offending any of the customer base.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:02:05 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 09:58:09 AM »
Adding to the chorus of "I don't blame them and it's a pretty elegant situation." I kind of wish that'd happen here, I've not quite lost that trace of embarrassment that comes from wandering around the bright pink kids' toy aisles looking for ponies.  ^^;

When I was working retail, that was the most confusing thing because "D'awwwwwww, you're playing, it's adorable! Wait, I'm gonna have to clean that up... :c"

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 09:59:54 AM »

They might have not been doing anything. The mothers probably felt uncomfortable that men (that are most likely not parents) were in the girl section and enough complained to have it moved.
Wow... that's actually kind of depressing. 

Does anyone else miss the days when an adult/teenager could just be seen in toyshop and the first thought of those who saw him would just assume he was simply remincing about being a child?
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 10:06:06 AM »

That's most likely the case. I've been to TRU many times and seen bronies about my age (mid-twenties) there. I've seen one step aside to let a little girl look at the ponies and then help get the pony that she wanted down for her.

I can only recall one time where there was some tomfoolery and it was a pair of guys who didn't keep their language child-appropriate. I told them to mind where they were and that their language was not pony-appropriate. That shut them up pretty fast.

I get why there were complaints, but it's still pretty sad that they're judged as creepers just because they're men buying ponies. If they're not hurting anyone or causing a scene, then let them get ponies.

Duster reference]

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 10:18:04 AM »

That's most likely the case. I've been to TRU many times and seen bronies about my age (mid-twenties) there. I've seen one step aside to let a little girl look at the ponies and then help get the pony that she wanted down for her.

I can only recall one time where there was some tomfoolery and it was a pair of guys who didn't keep their language child-appropriate. I told them to mind where they were and that their language was not pony-appropriate. That shut them up pretty fast.

I get why there were complaints, but it's still pretty sad that they're judged as creepers just because they're men buying ponies. If they're not hurting anyone or causing a scene, then let them get ponies.

Well I think that answers the question.  If YOU saw a pair of mid-twenties guys in the toy isle that didn't keep their language appropriate- chances are some mom saw the same thing at some point at the store in question.  Probably twice.  That may have been all that it took.  I think anyone can agree that while not always true, teen/young twenty somethings can be pretty boisterous and offensive at times.

On the other hand, I hope it's not because the parents wanted to feel comfortable with dropping their kids off in the toy isles while they do their shopping.  I HATE when parents do that.  The toy section is not a playground.  :huh:

This whole scenario would never happen at my Target in downtown Seattle- I have never seen a child in the toy isle.  Scalpers and even moms, sometimes bronies, but never a kid.  I think that it helps that the downtown Target is across the street from the McDonalds where the junkies accumulate to transact business.  People are maybe less inclined to take their kids to this Target and let them roam free in the toy isle (for which I am grateful).

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »
I think part of the problem is some bronies are embarrassed to be looking at ponies so they kind of... Well for lack of a better word lurk around the isle. I've seen it happen where a brony (I assume) will kind of pace nervously around the ponies and try to not get caught looking at them and buying them. And I mean honestly if you don't understand what's going on its totally creepy looking. If they dive in and act totally normal it's no problem people assume they have a daughter or they and shopping for a party or something. It's when they act like something is going on that makes people nervous. I don't blame the moms out there, they just don't know what's happening.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »
I think part of the problem is some bronies are embarrassed to be looking at ponies so they kind of... Well for lack of a better word lurk around the isle. I've seen it happen where a brony (I assume) will kind of pace nervously around the ponies and try to not get caught looking at them and buying them. And I mean honestly if you don't understand what's going on its totally creepy looking. If they dive in and act totally normal it's no problem people assume they have a daughter or they and shopping for a party or something. It's when they act like something is going on that makes people nervous. I don't blame the moms out there, they just don't know what's happening.

You know- I think you are right.  The teens I've seen looked more guilty than boisterous-  I knew what they were doing (buying ponies and feeling self conscious about it) but a shifty-eyed teen that seems to be sneaking around in the toy isle probably makes the momma bears nervous. 

I'd probably feel a little sheepish myself, but fortunately I have the handy disguise of being a 35 year old lady.  Everyone assumes I'm there for my kids.  :biggrin:

Offline Dludnerad

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • ice cream and llamas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 11:29:51 AM »
People should be able to buy whatever they want and not have to feel embarressed that 'someone might see them'. And parents shouldn't panic just because the toy buying demographic has changed.

At the moment the world is in a frenzy of fear about everything.  A lot of parents believe there are people everywhere just waiting to pounce on their children. I've had personal experience listening to mothers talking about this and working themselves into hysteria.
The world is not as bad as the TV says it is.

I am hoping for saner days in the future...

think happy thoughts.
Ice cream and llamas!

I see it... Can you see it too...? :shocked:

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 12:18:01 PM »
It makes sense a bit too also if you consider how easily those darn blind bags get nabbed.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 12:55:30 PM »
People should be able to buy whatever they want and not have to feel embarressed that 'someone might see them'. And parents shouldn't panic just because the toy buying demographic has changed.

At the moment the world is in a frenzy of fear about everything.  A lot of parents believe there are people everywhere just waiting to pounce on their children. I've had personal experience listening to mothers talking about this and working themselves into hysteria.
The world is not as bad as the TV says it is.

I am hoping for saner days in the future...

think happy thoughts.
Ice cream and llamas!

I am sorry, but I have to say that the world is not always a safe place.  I will tell my own story because I am lucky to be alive actually even with all the training I had as a child, nothing could have prepared me at age 11 for what happened to a friend of mine and myself while walking home from the corner store.  A white van started speeding down the street right at us.  As soon as it got to the driveway we ran to, it stopped.  The sliding doors flew open and two men started out through the neighborhood after my best friend and myself.  Their intent?  They were going to kidnap both of us.  My friend disappeared quickly as she ran one say and I the other.  I ran up to another house and climbed underneath the car and my friend had hopped a fence and was hiding in a backyard.  The men searched for us, ran to the van and took off in lightening speed.

So, I for one do not ever feel that we can be all to cautions as it only takes an instant for a child to be harmed.  I am a testimony to how fast it happens.  We were very lucky that day.  I think its not until you realize what it feels like to be nearly kidnapped and possibly killed that you know how important it is to be cautious.  We were on a neighborhood street near my best friends house.  Children go missing from stores often.  Its not a good world and I will never apologize for protecting my child from ever having to encounter the level of fear I had that day.  Call it fearful, call it over protective...I would do everything I could to make sure my child was safe.  So my thought for your comment is the frenzy of fear comes from experience, loss and horror.  Its a very real thing sadly.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Dludnerad

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • ice cream and llamas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 01:02:33 PM »
I'm not saying there is no danger in the world...
It's just that some people see ONLY the danger and treat everyone with suspicion and fear.

I see it... Can you see it too...? :shocked:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal