collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hair Styling Affecting Value?  (Read 947 times)

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hair Styling Affecting Value?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 02:48:15 AM »
In my opinion, flattening, curling or whatever doesn't matter. However, i wouldn't like to buy a pony with chopped hair  :cold:

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 03:07:37 AM »
Hair cuts, good or bad, don't effect my buying as I can easily re hair a pony. The over all condition is what I consider before buying. If I think I can restore it, I'd give my hand at trying.
Avvie By Watercolors

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »
I am going to assume this question is in the context of G4. :)

For me no matter the generation I find styling by trimming of hair odd but maybe thats because I am looking at this as a G1 collector. I think perhaps it depends on how you look on the item - if you are considering it a "collectors item" then even with the brony market I dont think hair trimming is a good idea - any changes to the original piece is devaluing. However, in the current climate people may well pay the same for a styled pony [styled with trim] as for a non styled pony - as show accuracy seems important for some.

But in the long run, outside rares, most of these ponies [especially the main 6] exist in such terrifying quantities that they are not going to hold much value at all. Therefore I dont think there is any harm in styling as you wish - in the long term it should be easy enough to pick up most of these ponies for well under retail in the future if you decide to trim the hair on your own.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »
When I first started collecting, my younger sister tried to make my ponies look 'show accurate'

..Cheerilee has an afro, the CMC have really weird hair cuts (the Applebloom I have was apparently giving a forelock that is adorable though xD) Rainbow Dash's hair is just...

Thankfully, she only trimmed my Rarity's hair. x-x She was my first pony.

But like everyone else has said, the mane 6 have so much quanity, I don't think they are ever gonna gain value.

I mean, so far:

12 rereleases of Rainbow Dash

16 rereleases of Pinkie Pie

9 rereleases of Twilight Sparkle

6 rereleases of Rarity

10 rereleases of Applejack

11 rereleases of Fluttershy

That's a rough number, there may be a few more re releases.

So that's 64 times the mane 6 have been re released.

So yea, don't see value going up them.

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 04:26:17 PM »
With the G4s, at least the mane six, they're so common, so it doesn't really matter. Regardless of what happens, I don't think G4 Rainbow Dash will ever become rare. With some of the other ponies, like exclusives or the ones that have become a little rarer (Wave 3 seems like it's getting harder to find?) it might not be as good an idea, but they're your ponies. (and with the exception of Blossomforth and the SDCC FS, none of those ponies have show counterparts.)
Ahen, Lyra, Trixie, Cherry Berry, Sunny rays, Cheerilee, the CMC all have show counterparts.

So does Twinkleshine, though she's a slightly different color in the show. :)
Not really, she's more different.
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 04:34:02 PM »
Hair cuts, good or bad, don't effect my buying as I can easily re hair a pony.

Rehairing may be easy, but it may be only my opinion that a rehaired pony is less desirable to me than a pony with it's original hair. That is, unless, it's for my own personal collection and amusement. I don't think I would ever purposely buy a pony that's been rehaired. Just my two cents <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal