collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to get her tail back in?  (Read 2245 times)

Offline JessicaAFM

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Ponies
Re: How to get her tail back in?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 04:00:47 PM »
I don't remove the clasps unless I have to. However that being said if there is any sign of rust going on at all, I will remove them. Quite honestly, I don't think it makes that significant difference in an off of card, played with condition pony. If you had your hands on a rare, mint or on card pony, then I could see a reason to leave them unaltered as possible. But loose, what difference does it make? Its not like someone is going to come check out your pony butts unless they are a buyer in which case they may be better served if they don't have to worry about rust... Just some thoughts.

I should add that most of my ponies do have the bracket and a lot of them still have the washer. But I am the original owner of more than half of them and I took very good care of them when I was a little girl.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:06:58 PM by JessicaAFM »
~Jessica~ My Ponies

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to sd_dreamcrystal for my adoptable.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 04:03:12 PM »
I don't remove the metal clasp on G1's. It rarely rusts. I only remove the washer. So the tail pushed back in easy. Now that I know you people remove the clasp I really don't want to buy any pony from a collector.

I have to admit when I heard this I was shocked.  There isn't much of any reason at all to remove this and removing the metal bracket really reduces the value of the pony as you will never then be able to prove it was the pony's original tail.  Yikes.  Just remove the washer if you have to. Don't ever take off the metal clasp.  Inserting the tail is so easy. I just poke it back through with the metal clasp going in the bum first and use pliers to pull it back through and position it. I never use zip ties either as the tails stay in really well when the metal piece is turned horizontal on the inside of the pony.  I was always taught by toy and doll restorationists that above all the very minimal should be done to keep the original as much as its original as possible.  To remove things reduces values so much that one day it may mean the sale or not sale of an item as most collectors who are willing to put money down on antiques want as much original as possible.  So minimal care even if you think you will never get rid of it...in the antique world cleaning rust is a big no no lol unless its a painting.  I keep all of my washers in case I am to ever resell a pony so that the original can go back in. I rust treat the washers.  As long as they don't get wet again they should survive without rusting out all over the pony tail.  I really think its the water and the bathing with the pony thats the biggest problem with tail rust. I can't tell you how many children I babysat in the 1980's that in almost ever case there was a pile of wet ponies in the bathtub near the drain. LOL
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:11:08 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 04:48:38 PM »
I don't remove the metal clasp on G1's. It rarely rusts. I only remove the washer. So the tail pushed back in easy. Now that I know you people remove the clasp I really don't want to buy any pony from a collector.

I have to admit when I heard this I was shocked.  There isn't much of any reason at all to remove this and removing the metal bracket really reduces the value of the pony as you will never then be able to prove it was the pony's original tail.  Yikes.  Just remove the washer if you have to. Don't ever take off the metal clasp.

hehe you know the tail is original when a rusty clasp has come off.. trust me.. the rust mark still pretty much stays there

Offline Henpatch

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 06:59:19 PM »
I have done many pony tails - 99% okay!

However - I go the other way.......Head first!

After washing and cleaning the tail NEVER removing the metal clasp...... I put on a new washer (easily obtained from hardware stores)

Then I wind a fine but strong wire around from the tip of the tail back to the washer and pull from head to tail. - (naturally you have to have the head off.....but if pony has tail rust you can bet her whole inside needs cleaning anyway - so off with her head!)

Tail comes out - wire comes off and you have a new fresh washer so the tail won't ever pull out!
Not always right first go (wire slips off - tail comes through crooked!)....but very good result at the end! (pun intended!)
Works for me!!!

Thank you SDS for my lovely Jumble pony

Wilford B Wolf

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
ive yet to do it..but...im rather curious as to why no one puts the washer back....and better yet a STAINLESS washer from a hardware or hobby shop....ive done tons of modeling work and know how bad it is to get things pulled thru holes..and the trick i always used was a straightened paperclip(or piano wire) bent to the shape i needed and some WIDE waxy dentlefloss as it helps slip back out of place but is thin and crazy strong

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 02:01:25 AM »
I dont put a washer back in as I dont need to...sounds silly and I know there are plastic and other options which wont rust but they are as equally unoriginal as not having an original washer therefore for me I dont bother. I always note in my collection if ponies have had "work done" so that I can declare it at sale...much as I would with my car!

I dont know why other people dont replace them...I can only speak on my own preference!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal