collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to get her tail back in?  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Skelletonimp

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.typicaltish.webs.com
How to get her tail back in?
« on: June 20, 2012, 05:49:36 AM »
A new pony arrived at my house today and I really want to clean her on the inside. She has tailrust an there are some small parts of rust inside her body. Now I'm finding a lot of tutorials about "how to clean tail rust", but none of them show how to get the tail back in. Can someone show it to me with pics?  :blush:

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
Re: How to get her tail back in?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 05:59:19 AM »
I don't do any pics but I'm sure there's a pic tutorial out there somewhere...

The easiest way I have found is when the tail is clean, at the fold of the tail where you fold it in two put a cable tie and tighten it. Poke the long end of the cable tie through the tail hole, thread it through the neck and pull. It should pop through. Pull it so the cable tie comes through the neck hole, pop another cable tie around all of the hair below the first cable tie and tighten it off. Trim the ends of the cable tie off and pull the end of the tail to seat it correctly in the tail hole.

Simple concept but hard to explain :blush: Pics would be way better!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:15:25 AM »
If the head is off, I use tweasers to pull a ribbon, folded in half, part way through the body so that theres a 'U' coming out of the neck. Make sure the ribbon end don't get pulled all the way through the body. I lace the end of the tail into the 'U' and then, I pull the ribbon ends coming out of the ponies butt, give it a good yank and 'pop', pony tail is back in :)

Offline Skelletonimp

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 06:25:13 AM »
How small are the "cable ties" you use? I use small tie rips but they apparently are to big...

Post Merge: June 20, 2012, 06:27:43 AM

I might use your technique kissthethunder :)

Thanks for the suggestions :D

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 06:32:44 AM »
I use 4/5" cable ties, never had a problem with those :)

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Moonracer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 06:39:30 AM »
Here's my most effective strategy:

- secure the tail with a ribbon in place where the original metallic clip was placed

- place the ribboned part against the tail hole

- "push it" into the tail hole with a pointed object (scissors work best), be cautious though not to damage the plastic

- once the ribboned part is in, use pliers to pull the tail all up to the neck hole

- secure each side of the ribboned part with cable ties (I use two for better security)

- once this is done, pull the tail back until the secured part meets the tail hole

And that's basically it.

Offline Skelletonimp

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 10:53:45 AM »
I used kissthethunder her technique  :)
I have tried it a few times before but I always used yarn and such for it and that was to weak.
This time I used something stronger and it worked :)

Here's my beautiful new girl, her tail is much much much cleaner then when I got her, but still not all of the rust is out :(

(Auriken Sundae Best Banana Surprise, she's a set completer ^^)

Sternenstaub

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 11:04:08 AM »
Have you tried to clean the rust with toothpaste?
It's very helpful to clean up tailrust. :)

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »
I used kissthethunder her technique  :)
I have tried it a few times before but I always used yarn and such for it and that was to weak.
This time I used something stronger and it worked :)

Here's my beautiful new girl, her tail is much much much cleaner then when I got her, but still not all of the rust is out :(

(Auriken Sundae Best Banana Surprise, she's a set completer ^^)

I'm so glad it worked for you! :hug: Banana Surprise looks so much happier! Such a pretty girl!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 04:32:46 PM »
I don't do any pics but I'm sure there's a pic tutorial out there somewhere...

The easiest way I have found is when the tail is clean, at the fold of the tail where you fold it in two put a cable tie and tighten it. Poke the long end of the cable tie through the tail hole, thread it through the neck and pull. It should pop through. Pull it so the cable tie comes through the neck hole, pop another cable tie around all of the hair below the first cable tie and tighten it off. Trim the ends of the cable tie off and pull the end of the tail to seat it correctly in the tail hole.

Simple concept but hard to explain :blush: Pics would be way better!

This is how I do it as well! I find the advantage to this is usually if your cable tie head is large enough then you can still give your pony's tail a proper brush without worrying about the tail popping back out again!

And as Stern says - toothpaste or bicarbonate should shift that tail rust after some repeat scrubbing!

She looks lovely - congrats on adding her to your collection.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

angela22

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
I have to say:

there is a MUCH easier way to get tails back in (at least to my mind, and these other ways are great too)... but.... for ME, the easiest way to get tail back in is:

wrap it in a small square of aluminum foil, twisted tight, and sharpened toward the tip of the tail. Poke the tail back through pointed tip first and pull through. Remove foil. The End.

:biggrin:

Post Merge: June 20, 2012, 07:27:23 PM

Oh and by the way, now that my secret strategy is out, I must kill you all.

Nah, I'm only serious.

:P

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 07:34:02 PM »
ok I have to say I found the easiest way ever... I wish I did it sooner.
I do the cable tie thing to but some plastics r so hard is impossible or very diffcult to say the least to push the tail back through the tail hole... this is what  have just learnt... put the ponies butt in some boiling water once the plastic is soft the cable tie can pull through so easily! It even works on g3s... its a winner ; )

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 04:29:05 AM »
I don't remove the metal clasp on G1's. It rarely rusts. I only remove the washer. So the tail pushed back in easy. Now that I know you people remove the clasp I really don't want to buy any pony from a collector.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 12:28:40 PM »
I don't remove the metal clasp on G1's. It rarely rusts. I only remove the washer. So the tail pushed back in easy. Now that I know you people remove the clasp I really don't want to buy any pony from a collector.

I just dont find it worth the risk...they are just as likely to have rust as a tail washer even though they may not suffer from it as often - if I am going to the effort of cleaning a tail and removing the washer and head I may as well get rid of any potential remaining future problems.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 03:39:37 PM »

I just dont find it worth the risk...they are just as likely to have rust as a tail washer even though they may not suffer from it as often - if I am going to the effort of cleaning a tail and removing the washer and head I may as well get rid of any potential remaining future problems.

This! The clasp most certainly does rust! Wait to you get a serve case of tail rust you will see its not fun.. 90 % of the time the rust under the clasp doesnt come out either.
I would 100 % prefer buying a pony with 'cable ties instead of tail rust'.  Firstly cause cleaning its a pain and taking of the clasp is hard so I would rather not have to do it myself. Secondly because rust causes cancer.. I cant tell you how many ponies I have opened up to find there cause of cancer was cause of rust spots grr, lots of the time I cant even see they have tail rust but are opening them up to investage a cancer spot or replace a tail or something and I see the rust! So back to the point I am glad someone has taking the time to fix a tail as I know further down the track there is going to be no hidden surprise!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal