collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Cotton Candy Variant, perhaps?  (Read 856 times)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: G1 Cotton Candy Variant, perhaps?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 04:58:15 AM »
I have a Cotton Candy with truly blue eyes (not blurple) -- I should take a picture, but I can't get to her easily right now. I also have the normal Cotton Candies with purple eyes. My theory has been that for some reason a portion of the mail order Cotton Candies were made with blue eyes. Maybe I can get a picture up soon . . .

The purple colour truly does turn a very proper blue over time and depending on the original shade/batch :) You really would think it was originally that colour. All of the ponies with this shade vary in eye colour from purple through blurple and right into blue :) Its pretty common for this colour when its used in all aspects of print. However the sheer volume in which Cotton Candy was released its not that surprising that even to start with there was enough variety in  her manufacture to cause so much variety 30 years ageing later.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 07:41:18 AM »
Hey! Maybe we should all meet up someplace and bring our Cotton Candys. Then, we can have contests and prizes for who has the most blue eyes, purple eyes etc. :p
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 12:18:17 PM »
I have a Cotton Candy with truly blue eyes (not blurple) -- I should take a picture, but I can't get to her easily right now. I also have the normal Cotton Candies with purple eyes. My theory has been that for some reason a portion of the mail order Cotton Candies were made with blue eyes. Maybe I can get a picture up soon . . .

The purple colour truly does turn a very proper blue over time and depending on the original shade/batch :) You really would think it was originally that colour. All of the ponies with this shade vary in eye colour from purple through blurple and right into blue :) Its pretty common for this colour when its used in all aspects of print. However the sheer volume in which Cotton Candy was released its not that surprising that even to start with there was enough variety in  her manufacture to cause so much variety 30 years ageing later.

Hmm . . . I got out my Cotton Candies, and I think you're right, Hathorcat. My blue-eyed one looks quite faded next to the others, so her eyes probably are a by-product of the fading.

Here she is alone . . .

She has the same hoof stamps as the regular store-bought one on her right (made in Hong Kong, etc.)

It would be cool if they had made blue-eyed Cotton Candies in the U.S., but until more of them turn up I'll assume this one's faded, like you said. :)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 02:24:25 PM »
I think it's because purple is made from red + blue.  Red seems very vulnerable to fading for some reason? Some ponies with pink or purple symbols have the red pigment leech out, leaving the symbol either white or pale blue.

It actually can look pretty cool!  I had a "blue symboled" Scoops and I still have a "white symboled" Love Melody around somewhere.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 06:34:35 AM »
Wow, I really like that one with light blue eyes! Very pretty.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 02:16:57 PM »
I think it's because purple is made from red + blue.  Red seems very vulnerable to fading for some reason? Some ponies with pink or purple symbols have the red pigment leech out, leaving the symbol either white or pale blue.

It actually can look pretty cool!  I had a "blue symboled" Scoops and I still have a "white symboled" Love Melody around somewhere.

Yup - its the red pigment its a pain in the bottom. Red is notoriously the least stable dye and fades the most under UV exposure as well.

I have an old book which shows a perfect example of the way this colour change can happen; it was stored with its spine exposed to the sunlight for many years but the front was completely covered. The spine is a lovely blue (kind of like your Cotton Candy's eyes) and the rest of the cover is a blueish purple shade. It truly looks like 2 different colours were intended originally.

I had a good example as well floating around of taking the red from a purple...play around in something like photoshop and you will see how the lack of that one colour can make such a difference.

I think blue eyed CC is adorable though :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal