collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you actively collect ponies?

Yes, all of them!
29 (22%)
Yes, but only the ones I like.
74 (56.1%)
No, but I might pick up one everynow and then.
24 (18.2%)
No.
5 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Are you an active or retired collector?  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Are you an active or retired collector?
« on: August 14, 2013, 08:31:29 AM »
The question is in the title: Do you actively collect ponies anymore?

I've been seriously collecting since I was about ten. When I became a tween, I was a bit more selective and only chose the ones whose colors I liked. Now, I've thinned my herd considerably and have only kept the ones that I absolutely can't do without. I don't have the money or space for the hobby anymore, and I'd much rather have a few of my favorites then none at all.  :)
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
Re: Are you an active or retired collector?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 08:34:07 AM »
Yes I am, but only for ones I like ^.^

I took a year long break last year when I became obsessed with MH, and violently burnt out, sold off all my dolls (have three left) and focused on my pride and joys again: ponies. :)

Offline Alipes

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Custom and Diorama Photo Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »
I'm active at the moment, but I'm also pretty choosy.  :lol:  I only tend to buy ponies that I really like, and lately I've been customizing new ponies for my collection more than buying.

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 09:13:29 AM »
I'm more of a retired collector. I do pick up ponies I might happen across when I actually get to a fleamarket, but my days as an active collector are pretty much gone. I still do pony trades occasionally, but really I just no longer have the funds to actively collect. Ponies are much more expensive now that everyone knows they are worth something. ;)   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline bladed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »
I must admit I'm somewhere between "only the ones I like" and "no".

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 09:30:42 AM »
Unless there's a deal too hard to pass up, I am not actively collecting at the moment. Now that I'm out of uni and earning pennies I really have to contain my spending. It's very sad and I'm actually selling off part of my collection at the UK ponycon in September but it's for the best!

That said... I still cannot say no to accessories :D they're my one weakness!

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 09:34:03 AM »
I haven't been actively collecting for a while now.
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »
I just came out of a four or five year retirement, lol!  I collected CRAZY actively from 2003 until about 2009ish when the Core 7/G3.5 transition came along.  Then, I fell off the face of the collecting community.  The G4s almost helped until I saw how trendy they became, then whenever I mentioned anything about ponies I was either instantly mugged by "OMGAREYOUABRONY?!" or "UGH!  I can't *believe* you're one of *them*" and it really disheartened me.  My husband urging me to make a couple customs one day got me to buy three G4s... that I ended up feeling guilty for baiting because I didn't already have them in my collection, so I had to go get three more... and then... then... well... Now I'm collecting again, lol!

*DISCLAIMER* I have no problem with Bronies or people who are only into MLP due to FiM.  It's just frustrating being an old-school collector who's into MLP for a different reason having those assumptions being made just because that's what's "in" right now.  I love all Pony people :)

Offline ponybanker

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 10:20:32 AM »
I am retired but i pick them up when i find them, how can I not? :)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 10:20:40 AM »
The G4s almost helped until I saw how trendy they became, then whenever I mentioned anything about ponies I was either instantly mugged by "OMGAREYOUABRONY?!" or "UGH!  I can't *believe* you're one of *them*" and it really disheartened me.  My husband urging me to make a couple customs one day got me to buy three G4s... that I ended up feeling guilty for baiting because I didn't already have them in my collection, so I had to go get three more... and then... then... well... Now I'm collecting again, lol!
If anything were to make me step away from pony collecting, it would be this. I have a tendency to back away from things I like when they become super, super popular, because I'm really fairly anti-social and don't like to have to discuss my personal hobbies with everyone in the world. Fortunately, we have such a great collector community, and when I go to our local pony meets I have faith that the collecting community is still alive and strong, and not being overrun!

I love the new TV show, and the new line of ponies, and I have used the Brony phenomenon to sway some of my non-pony friends over into liking ponies, but sometimes the volume of new pony stuff surrounding me at all times gives me a headache.

Offline Mandy85

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 10:39:41 AM »
I'm not an active MLP collector anymore, but I have more ponies than I could ever want, and then some. I've actually been slowly going through and getting rid of a lot of them, and only keeping the ones that really mean something to me. I sold off all of my G2's, and all but one of my G3's (March Daffodil was always my favorite). I'm good on G1's, which is what most of my collection is comprised of, but every now and then I'll grab a G4.

I love the FIM cartoon and I was really excited about G4 when it first premiered, but admittedly, the toy line has gotten a bit stale for me. I have a few of the blind bag-sized figures, and while I think they're cute, they're not something I wish to collect, and this seems to be where Hasbro's focus for the franchise is at the moment. I much prefer their brushable ponies, but they're not putting out anything that's new and different enough in this regard to hold my interest for long. Wysteria and Sunset Shimmer appeal to me though, so I may have to pick them up eventually.

All in all, I haven't purchased anything but a Funko vinyl when it comes to ponies this year. I still love MLP, it was the toy that defined my childhood and it will always hold a special  place in my heart, but aside from the random addition here and there, I think I'm pretty content with my collection at the moment. I've also been more into Monster High dolls for the past three years, and for my wallet's sake, I'd like to only focus on one collection right now.

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • View Profile
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 10:40:44 AM »
I am a very ACTIVE collector!.....I put all on the poll....but what I really mean when I say all is all G1s :biggrin:

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 10:52:34 AM »
I pick up one every now and then but accessories are my first love :lovey:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline lockette

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • twice as fancy as you
    • View Profile
    • toylockette.tumblr
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 10:57:02 AM »
I went with "No, but I might pick up one everynow and then." because I don't actively collect all the time. Probably once or twice a year I get pony fever and purchase a handful of ponies over a few weeks, but that's usually it right now. In college I averaged buying a pony once per week (plus any new G3s that were in stores) but that was when I first really got into collecting and also lived at home! ^^; After the first year and a half to two years of initial buzz of collecting, I tapered off.

I'd say I'm more of an off-and-on collector rather than retired though!
:rainbow: toylockette on tumblr & instagram!
& check out g1mlp & g3mlp on tumblr!

☆☆ wish list! ☆☆ ISO baby sparkle Firefly w/ dark gold tail factory error!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 11:19:29 AM »
I said I pick up the ones I like but I'm not sure how true that is.  I still go to the thrift store at least once a week, mainly for pony hunting and I have a decent wishlist but at the moment I'm not actively hunting.  That's mainly a budget concern but even when I have money, I'm still only actively hunting ponies (like eBay) every few months.

I do still buy g4s on occasion but I'm also selling off parts of my collection so that sort of evens out in my head.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal