collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Offer more and more to get a pony that is not for sale ??!!  (Read 5113 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Offer more and more to get a pony that is not for sale ??!!
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 04:24:49 PM »
So cute she is!

I haven't had that happen with ponies- but to a minor degree with some prototype dolls-

I think a straight up offer to buy is a bit rude if the item isn't for sale.  It is okay for someone to make it very clear that they love your item and should you ever decide to sell, that they would be very interested...  But to make a straight up offer?  Seems a bit pushy.

If in response to your firm declination someone follows up with more offers?  Well I think that is plain rude.

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 04:35:48 PM »
Hum. So in proper pony manners, is it ok to pm offers if done respectfully?

PKW, I wish I were so kind. I like to toss rare stuff in sale bins like it's nothing and see if anyone notices and what they do. I've never attended a MLP only event. So I don't think I'd get away with it there, it's like where's waldo. I have met in person with collector's that asked to see things however and that was always a good experience.

Plushroo, thank you! My puppy is all grown up now,  but I like dragging that photo out every fall :)

hamsteh

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 04:53:58 PM »
My mum had a similar issue, not on a forum or with ponies, but on Flickr with a doll. You're not even meant to sell on Flickr, and this person messaged my mum several times on Flickr, and then messaged her on ebay! She even got her friend involved, messaging her and adding her as a contact and stuff after my mum got too annoyed and reported her.
Some people just need to learn where to draw the line. D:

Before she took it too far, we were just like "yeah fair enough, make sure to let her know if you decide to sell the doll" but after that, we kinda thought it best not to have anything to do with them, their offer was poor anyway. My mum didn't even ask what they were gonna offer because she wasn't selling, but they told her anyway.  -_-

Such a shame really, cause it does make people reluctant to share their pictures of their collections, my mum has thought twice about uploading pictures to Flickr since then. ><;

I'm not sure I really own anything rare enough that anyone would message me about it thought. ^^;
There's still time though! Haha. xD
(Hope it's alright to mention, since it's not pony related. ; _ ; On topic, though...)

Offline Glacia471

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 07:36:40 PM »
@Plushroo- no worries ;) In some aspects it's flattering (to me anyway), since I'm very proud to own my Lickety, but I've also never been constantly asked to sell her either. If I ever decided to sell my Lickety, it'd be here on the Arena via auction-style 'listing'. I'd probably advertise it for like a month or something too so people would have time to save up. However, my Lickety is very special to me, so I can't imagine ever parting with her :lovey: I have a mess of other Nirvanas that would go before she would.

I think I've only had 1 offer to buy something coming from my collection pictures (unless I stated in my post that I was considering selling), and that was for a white DnW bottle for $5. I didn't realize at the time that it was MO Mommy & Baby's, but thankfully decided to pass since I didn't have an extra. That member who made the offer was later banned for being a scammer. They claimed they 'hadn't seen one before' but now I believe they were just trying to low-ball me.

Offline TwoMore

• Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 09:25:17 PM »
I am rather surprised that people would be so persistent about buying. I understand sending an "if you ever want to sell think of me message" but anything more pressuring then that is a bit much.
I never even thought about people not wanting to share pictures because of the issue. What a shame. I love seeing pictures of rare and interesting ponies even when I know they are not for sale. I can always have a custom made!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 04:02:25 AM »
oh gosh, i am now starting to realise that there are more and more people who have had problems because they have shared pictures on the internet :( i thought it might happen that people would track down the pictures owners, but i really had no idea that it could be such i problem and cause such hurt and upset and to the extect and which it does happen.

i guess it goes to show how naive i am, as it would never cross my mind to do such a thing and keep throwing money at someone and pestering them. i maybe would make a little joke with the owner now and again in a thread, but only to be light hearted as i always accept that the pony belongs to the other person and i am happy for them. i accept and understand that some ponies are and always will be out of my reach.

PKW, I wish I were so kind. I like to toss rare stuff in sale bins like it's nothing and see if anyone notices and what they do. I've never attended a MLP only event. So I don't think I'd get away with it there, it's like where's waldo. I have met in person with collector's that asked to see things however and that was always a good experience.

ooh sneaky, i love that!!! i bet you had great fun watching peoples faces! i usually manage to spot something special from across the room and make a bee-line :P

i am glad you had a good experience with another collector :hug:

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Cide85

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 04:28:32 AM »
Yeah, there's a lot of beautiful nirvana ponies, that I would love to have a change of getting, but I try to never pester anyone about it though. And I certainly hope that someone will say straight to me if they feel that I would be doing so.

Though there certainly can only be one such pony who I might have pestered someone about at the moment. And that's Ember's Greek green Baby Cuddels.... But she is kind of special to me, when she is the exact pony I had as a teenager before stupidly selling her in the flea market. But I hope Ember had not felt I would have annoyed her for it, as I am still happy I know where Baby Cuddels is and she certainly has a great home. ^^

Offline ponindepedenza!

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 04:41:23 AM »
Thanks for your answers, I think people sometimes don't think that what they are doing is unpleasant for other people. The member pm'd me back telling me she will stop and that she is sorry :)

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 04:53:26 AM »
Hi Cide85.. No ofcourse I didn't take offense hun. I totally understand being passionate about a pony.. its why we collect.
And in no way do I take offense to you wanting to find a way to get your old pony back:) Pmed you :)

*hugs*
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 05:17:29 AM »
I don't have any really rare G1's, but I've had a few people PM regarding my G4 Rainbow Flash... Strawberry reef wanted a hair colour match, and I said I'd PM her with one.... I got soo many offers! If I'd received repeat offers from the same person, I'd sure have been annoyed. Thankfully they were respectful of my choice not to sell. Obviously the person now realises how upsetting that can be for the pony's owner, which is a good thing to know.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 06:15:46 AM »
Oof yeah I had the same once. I posted something in the Brag Arena, it was one of my grail ponies and someone pm'd me and asked me if I wanted to sell my grail pony >.> uhmmm no...

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 06:57:04 AM »
I can understand asking if a pony is for sale once and making a possible offer, but to keep going back and increasing the offer to pressure the person to sell...I would be highly annoyed and would probably call the person out publicly for being a jerk.

But that is me...it's probably good that I don't have anyone doing that to me.

I am glad the person apologized and will leave you alone now! :)
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »
The person who sent the message has asked me to post on her behalf, as she doesn't want to cause anymore trouble than it already has. There were two messages, sent a couple of months apart. She didn't intend to offend or pressurise, and is very sorry for what happened and will learn from the experience.

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
  Good for her! (To learn from her mistake, I mean.)
  There is a way to go about this if you see something in someone else's possession that you are really really interested in. The polite thing to do, both in real life and the internet, is to send a message saying to "let me know if you ever plan to sell ____." One message, no offer of price. Maybe give a reason why you're interested to help the person know you better and think to themselves "This person would be a good home for my pony/house/painting/etc," but no sob stories, obviously. Just a message that's short and friendly that puts NO pressure on the person you are soliciting. After that, never bother the person again, and understand that it could come to nothing.
  And of course, the thing should be one of a kind or incredibly hard to find. Otherwise it'd be silly to bother someone about something you could get in a store. :)
I'll put something here some time

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2012, 12:17:37 PM »
Well now, thanks to this post I really really want a Suntie!  I didn't even know she existed.  Bah!  Are there more of her out there?

I have had someone persist on asking me to sell something.  It was a stuffed animal and the person asking was a mother of a friend who was younger than me.  The little girl was someone I baby sat and played with and she happened to have the exact same animal but all beat up and worn out.  My plushie was in great condition because I was very good to my toys.  Her mom kept telling me I should sell mine so her daughter could have a nice new one.  This was her daughter's favorite toy and if I did give her mine it would end up like that one.  There was no way I was selling it for any amount.  It also happened to be my very first ever stuffed animal so it was special to me.  I still have it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal