collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ponies in Dishwasher - Yay or Neigh?  (Read 449 times)

Offline AnotherTonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
Ponies in Dishwasher - Yay or Neigh?
« on: June 11, 2022, 11:57:29 AM »
New to restoration and customization here and trying.  Have any of you ever put a pony in the dishwasher?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 05:01:40 PM by AnotherTonic »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Ponies in Dishwasher - Yay or Neigh?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 12:21:58 PM »
Why would you put them in the dishwasher?

Also, going to bump this over to the corral so you can get some more answers, this seems more linked to restoration than customizing. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 12:24:33 PM »
I wouldn't. The cleaner is probably too abrasive for ponies and would make the hair feel icky, so you'd have to wash and condition it afterwards anyway.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 12:43:34 PM »
Ah, yes, trying to cut corners when restoring and customizing... Most of us have been there in the beginning I'm sure  :biggrin: It's certainly giving me flashbacks.
I once ruined a perfectly fine Lullabye Nursery using a cleaning product that was waayyyyy to abrasive. It simply started to eat the hard plastic away, never seen anything like it  :cry:

I highly suggest to take your time and go with a hand wash/scrub. Maybe you could use a mild tooth brush. But a dishwasher doesn't even fully clean basic plates sometimes, it's not really going to do much for properly cleaning a toy I'm afraid.

See it as a mindful zen exercise  ;)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 12:45:09 PM by DreamvalleyMLP »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 01:50:21 PM »
Only if you're using the wrack to dry them out I guess. Did that with some sea ponies I had to clean inside. Would never put ponies in there while it's running.

Post Merge: June 11, 2022, 01:51:12 PM

Ah, yes, trying to cut corners when restoring and customizing... Most of us have been there in the beginning I'm sure  :biggrin: It's certainly giving me flashbacks.
I once ruined a perfectly fine Lullabye Nursery using a cleaning product that was waayyyyy to abrasive. It simply started to eat the hard plastic away, never seen anything like it  :cry:

I highly suggest to take your time and go with a hand wash/scrub. Maybe you could use a mild tooth brush. But a dishwasher doesn't even fully clean basic plates sometimes, it's not really going to do much for properly cleaning a toy I'm afraid.

See it as a mindful zen exercise  ;)

:(
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 07:02:14 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 04:07:29 PM »
I too have suffered the fate of the over eager new collector. Trust these wise words from older collectors!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline maxfieldstanton

• Magic Motion Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 09:48:01 PM »
Yeah I'd give that a big ol' no - only if it was a dissembled pony with no hair!

Offline Trinity

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Also known as Elfwink.
    • View Profile
    • Elfwink's Pixels
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2022, 11:34:55 PM »
I wouldn't. The cleaner is probably too abrasive for ponies and would make the hair feel icky, so you'd have to wash and condition it afterwards anyway.

This. And if there was a metal washer in the pony, it could corrode.

Hand wash all the way!
:rainbow: also known as Elfwink | pixel art!

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2022, 12:02:05 AM »
I once had a plastic lid fall through the dish rack and land on the heating element.   It melted very badly.  There is some serious heat produced by some dishwashers.  Just being in there could warp the plastic, let alone if something slips through the cracks and gets somewhere it doesn’t belong. If the washing up chemicals didn’t ruin things, the heat very well could. I also don’t want to find out what those chemicals do to hair long term.

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2022, 04:23:26 AM »
My initial reaction was NOOOOO! But I guess if you really want to, you could just try it with a very baity common pony and see what happens? I would still agree with everyone else, though, and say that I would just stick with hand washing and see it as part of the process of collecting vintage toys.
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2022, 07:44:42 AM »
I agree with the prior comment about using the drying rack and experimenting with completely stripped baits. But also, I GOTTA commend your out of the box thinking. I am all about that innovation!
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • May the Force be with you. Always.
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2022, 09:59:07 AM »
I think you might be confusing vinyl plastic for silicone-based plastic. The vinyl in ponies--new and old--is not able to withstand extreme heat, as other pony collectors here have said. I've lost plastic acrylic cups and straws to my dishwasher, so I don't think that ponies could withstand it at all.

Silicone is different, it's able to withstand and absorb heat due to its chemistry.

Adding my .02 here to say: Don't do this! You will lose your ponies. Hand washing with Dawn dish detergent and a mild shampoo/conditioner, combing and letting air dry works best. If your pony smells of cigarette smoke, or other unpleasant odors, you will need to wash and dry them by hand, then set them in a Ziploc with baking soda for a week or two to remove the smell, along with setting them in the sunshine if possible (though sunfading is something to be careful with too!).
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
My pronouns-She/her and they/them  ^.^

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2022, 11:46:44 AM »
The more I come back to this thread to read the responses, the more I want to actually put one in the dishwasher just to see what will happen...  :facepalm:

But why stop there? What has the laundry machine done to be excluded from this (other than transporting socks to alternative universes one at a time)...?  (:nuts: I know)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 11:50:42 AM by DreamvalleyMLP »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2022, 02:11:46 PM »
I prefer the washing machine to the dish washer, the dish washer cleaner seemed to mattify the pony vinyl. I pop them in a net bag, then put through the machine on a 40 degree wash with rinse hold since they don't need to be spun.

Dishwasher or washing machine is really only best for grubby bait ponies, it will damage symbols, twinkle eyes and princess medallions.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2022, 05:37:49 PM »
Eesh!! I've had Tupperware get wrecked in the dishwasher, so I can't imagine what it does to 40-year-old vinyl. Washing machine, maybe? But either would probably make the hair feel gross.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal