collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Problems with an eBay Seller -- am I being unreasonable? *UPDATED*  (Read 1534 times)

sunshine29102

• Trade Count: (0)
UPDATE:  Seller issued a refund of $4.35 and stated "I spent $7.64 on postage, $2.15 on envelope, and refund you of $4.35.  My cost is for shipping AND handling, not just shipping".     So, basically I've paid $8 for shipping on the ponies, which is closer to "reasonable" shipping costs. But wow, what a horrible attitude from the seller.  Guess this is now a "closed" thread.  Thanks to all who offered input! :D

Ok, I just purchased three G1 Big Brother ponies from an eBay seller.  The ponies all sold for ridiculously low ($9.50, $11.33, and $14.00).  They arrived today, and are absolutely minty, with minimal flaws.  Tex even came with his hat and bandana!  I am pleased with them, but still have a problem with the seller.

The background info: 

His feedback score is 156, mine is currently 539 - with a great deal of my feedback being the seller.   I have shipped quite a few ponies, action figures, etc. via USPS and I'm pretty up to speed on what they charge to ship inside the US.  About one day prior to the auctions' end times, I had emailed the seller asking if he combined shipping.  He said "yes".  I asked how much but he never responded until after the auctions ended, so before they auctions ended, I sent him another quick message saying that I had calculated shipping to be about $5.99 for the items via USPS, and looked forward to - hopefully - winning the three ponies he had up for auction.   

Upon the end of the three auctions (all ended just a few minutes apart), he immediately sent me an invoice with combined shipping charges of $16.00.  I again emailed him and very politely reminded him that he said he would combine shipping, and I had previously asked how much he intended to charge for shipping.  I also politely mentioned to him that by my estimate it should cost about $7.99 to mail them to me in a box via USPS, or that he could send them to me in a well padded bubble mailer if he would wrap them all in several layers of bubble wrap if that was cheaper. 
     He apologized and sent a revised invoice for $12.35.  I again stated that the shipping charges seemed a bit high, but he said that was the cheapest he could do for priority shipping in a box. I grudgingly paid the invoice, but asked that he send them in a box and to be sent Priority Mail (as he stated in his auction).  I begrudgingly paid the invoice, but to me I had the gut feeling that he didn't want to sell the ponies to me because he thought they sold for too low, and that he would try to jack up the shipping charges to cover his losses. 
     The ponies arrived today IN A BUBBLE MAILER marked with $1.88 in postage paid!!! It cost him less than $2.00 postage to mail them to me, but he charged 6x that ?!!?!  He also opted to have delivery confirmation on the items (his policy, not my request).

The ponies really are beautiful.  I had to clean them up a bit, but they're really great.  I mean, really really minty.  Minimal flaws, beautiful hair, no scratches/rubs to any of their symbols/eyes, Tex had his hat and bandana, and 4-Speed had his bandana, too. 

From a buyer's standpoint, I am irate over the cost of shipping.  The shipping cost was more than any of the ponies were!  Also, I've had people ship ponies from Canada to the US for less than or close to what he charged to ship from the same coast of the US.   I myself wouldn't have charged more than probably $5.99 to ship them (and that would include tracking).

I emailed him about the cost of shipping, and he stated that he paid for a box, but it cost him too much to ship that way, so then he had to buy a bubble mailer and shp them that way.  He said his charges included "the inconvenience of having to go to the post office to mail the package", plus 'the cost of a box" (which he said cost too much, so he then chose to send them in the bubble mailer instead), and also the $2.00 for the bubble mailer along with the almost $2.00 in postage".  He then replied that he also "had to have delivery confirmation to know that I didn't rip him off when they arrived, as some buyers tend to do on eBay".  He also -and not very politely - stated that he had issued me a refund of $3.25 to my email address (which was an email address that was not even mine -- he didn't even take the time to check who he was sending a refund to!)

As a seller, I try to be fair in my shipping charges.  Often times, the shipping charges include the cost of a box/envelope/etc, and I totally get that.  I've been there before.  But, as a buyer, I always look at the cost of shipping before bidding/buying - and I always ask ahead of time if the listing does not state "combined shipping available".  I also factor cost of shipping into any bids I place or any purchases I make. 

Am I being unreasonable? How do I/How should I respond or proceed to this matter?  I try to be friendly, honest, and reasonable, but THIS one seller... ugh!  Should I just let it go and leave negative feedback??? I tried to give him a chance to "make it right" with the shipping charges, but I'm pretty sure he won't.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!  Thanks for letting me vent, too! :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:47:29 PM by sunshine29102 »

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with an eBay Seller -- am I being unreasonable?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 04:05:11 PM »
I think you're probably right that he's trying to make up for selling them too low. His estimates about boxes being wrong or whatnot is not your fault so even if that was the case, you shouldn't have to pay for his errors. I guess at the end of the day it depends on how much you care. If you're very annoyed and want to pay the correct shipping then you could always contact customer support, as he doesn't seem very willing to communicate and reason himself. Otherwise you could just let it go to save hassle. Mind you, I don't think you'd be losing anything by trying to get some postage money back. So you might as well try.

You could try telling him that unless he refunds some of your shipping cost then you won't be leaving positive feedback? Sounds a bit harsh but it might make him cough up.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 04:20:08 PM »
I don't think you are being unreasonable in the least bit. I'd be steaming mad if I shelled out $12 for shipping and the seller opted to pocket the difference. If he's unwilling to refund you the difference, contact paypal/ebay and let them know!

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »

You could try telling him that unless he refunds some of your shipping cost then you won't be leaving positive feedback? Sounds a bit harsh but it might make him cough up.

I would advise against mentioning feedback when communicating otherwise the seller can go to eBay for feedback extortion and you will loose all credibility going forward. 
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 04:25:39 PM »
I would insist on a refund for the difference as he stated he was shipping them in a box, hence the expensive shipping, then shipped them via another, significantly cheaper method (his reasoning is rubbish, he's not paying for the postage!, and it's not your problem that he bought both the box and the bubble mailer, you shouldn't be paying because he's disorganised). Normally I'd eat the cost of postage if I'd got a great deal, but this guy's attitude stinks  :mad:
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 04:27:19 PM »
Also, there is no reason he couldn't return any extra shipping material he bought.
If he altered or wrote on the box, that's his own fault.

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 04:35:54 PM »

I would advise against mentioning feedback when communicating otherwise the seller can go to eBay for feedback extortion and you will loose all credibility going forward.

Is that a thing? I didn't know that. I didn't think there'd be a problem with saying that you wouldn't be leaving positive feedback because you were unhappy. Oh well, my bad  :blush:

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 04:38:58 PM »
You're not being unreasonable. That's ridiculous. I'm dealing with it from one seller too. I bought an item and they sent a new invoice with a much higher shipping price, $15 for this one item. I mail them and say is there a cheaper way of shipping it, that seems reallyy steep for this one thing. They haven't even responded to me AT ALL so idk what to do in my case either.

If he won't right it, leave neg feedback or at least dock the stars and maybe a neutral.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 04:41:13 PM »
Ding those stars sunshine! Communication - terrible - avoided your questions. Postage cost - terrible - 6 x actual postage. I'd leave Positive or Neutral (up to you) FB, "Great items, but shipping 6 x actual postage cost!"

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 05:09:02 PM »
Ding those stars sunshine! Communication - terrible - avoided your questions. Postage cost - terrible - 6 x actual postage. I'd leave Positive or Neutral (up to you) FB, "Great items, but shipping 6 x actual postage cost!"

I agree with this.  Especially if you cannot get him to refund the difference!  :(  So sorry to hear you are having this problem but CONGRATS on your beautiful ponies!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

sunshine29102

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 05:17:54 PM »

That's what I was thinking, also.  I didn't want to mention it for that very reason.  However, if unresolved, I will be leaving negative feedback.

Post Merge: July 31, 2014, 05:19:41 PM

Thank you all so much for the advice!  I mostly just wanted to know whether or not I was being unreasonable.  Looks like I'm not crazy after all~! :) LOL
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:19:41 PM by sunshine29102 »

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with an eBay Seller -- am I being unreasonable? *UPDATED*
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 04:05:45 AM »
I'm glad you got a shipping refund but wow the sellers attitude was bad  , and to ship in an envelope instead of a box , when the box was stated - thats a no-no  :crazy: 
I think it was far from a positive experience even though the ponies were nice. He did refund you so I would probably not go with a neg, but a neutral maybe , or if you feel you really do want to give him a positive I would definitely ding the stars on communication etc.   :awake:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 11:18:41 AM »
something no one else has pointed out...Priority boxes are FREE from the post office, so he would not have had to pay for a box at all, just the shipping cost.  tracking is also INCLUDED in priority mail now, no extra cost.  there's only a fee for tracking if it is sent first class?
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 05:01:41 PM »
Wth did he need that extra $6 for? To bum a ride with someone? (No, probably just being greedy, especially if what the previous person said is true). Oy.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

sunshine29102

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 07:58:08 PM »
something no one else has pointed out...Priority boxes are FREE from the post office, so he would not have had to pay for a box at all, just the shipping cost.  tracking is also INCLUDED in priority mail now, no extra cost.  there's only a fee for tracking if it is sent first class?
I had forgotten about the free priority boxes! I knew tracking was included in the cost, but this person also charged for (and received) delivery confirmation as well, which I find a little unnecessary since the item's tracking number would show it delivered to my address (which is paypal confirmed), etc. 

Long story short now, I received the refund for the shipping.  I haven't left feedback, and as Ringlets mentioned, I will def dock their stars for communication, shipping cost/speed, etc.  but probably just leave neutral feedback. 

Thanks everyone!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal