collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Safety of MLP Arena?  (Read 1813 times)

Offline BrinnyTheBrave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: The Safety of MLP Arena?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 03:57:35 PM »
When I'm trading with someone who has 0 feedback, I ask them to send first.  That's how I got my feedback started here, and now I'm fairly established.  Honestly, though, I've never worried about giving out my address by PM.  I've been at it for 15years or so, and my only bad experience was through ebay, over a decade ago.  I've never had a bad experience within the community.

Getting tracking or insurance to cover yourself is a good idea, though, in case someone's half goes missing.  Trading is really fun!!

Oh, well, I'm more concerned about the safety of my whereabouts rather than the trade gone wrong (but equally concerned about that)

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 06:37:59 PM »
When I'm trading with someone who has 0 feedback, I ask them to send first.  That's how I got my feedback started here, and now I'm fairly established.  Honestly, though, I've never worried about giving out my address by PM.  I've been at it for 15years or so, and my only bad experience was through ebay, over a decade ago.  I've never had a bad experience within the community.

Getting tracking or insurance to cover yourself is a good idea, though, in case someone's half goes missing.  Trading is really fun!!

Oh, well, I'm more concerned about the safety of my whereabouts rather than the trade gone wrong (but equally concerned about that)
I suppose if you have doubts then you should not be trading here. I would stick to Ebay and the likes. How old are you anyways, just out of curiosity?
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 06:51:56 PM »
I would say if you're really worried then just don't do it. You could always sell your pony then buy one with the money on Ebay or something. I haven't ever heard of someone on the Arena going after someone in the real world. I mean positive feedback or not doesn't always indicate a good seller/trader. It goes that way with any transaction though. I'd stick with Ebay if you're worried.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline BrinnyTheBrave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »

I suppose if you have doubts then you should not be trading here. I would stick to Ebay and the likes. How old are you anyways, just out of curiosity?

21, but, I like to take my precautions.

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 10:28:14 PM »
Some people can tell me my address before I even have to give it to them already on the Arena...

You wanna come to my house and cause trouble? You'll have to deal with the guard geese!!
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 05:51:31 AM »
Some people can tell me my address before I even have to give it to them already on the Arena...

You wanna come to my house and cause trouble? You'll have to deal with the guard geese!!

*LIKE*

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 07:22:07 AM »
I would say if you're really worried then just don't do it. You could always sell your pony then buy one with the money on Ebay or something. I haven't ever heard of someone on the Arena going after someone in the real world. I mean positive feedback or not doesn't always indicate a good seller/trader. It goes that way with any transaction though. I'd stick with Ebay if you're worried.

Agreed. If you're concerned about someone having your address, then maybe trading or buying is not for you. Maybe you can go to a pony meet and trade in person or buy in person there. Or stick to Ebay.

I understand being scared.  Maybe look into a PO Box.

https://poboxes.usps.com/poboxonline/search/landingPage.do

http://www.theupsstore.com/mailboxes/Pages/index.aspx
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:32:44 AM by StoryDreamer »
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 07:25:23 AM »
I have done lot so thing on here to and have turned out great :)

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 07:42:50 AM »
Also if there is someone you trust you could see if they would middle man for you.  It would cost more to have the person ship to them and then to you, and there would be more risk of loss, but I think it's within the rules here if you have friends here willing to do that. :)
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 04:25:14 PM »
I suppose you could stick to buying/trading overseas, there's less chance someone will 'visit' you, but obviously it will cost you far more. But in my many transactions here and on the TP, as well as ebay, I've never had ANY trouble regarding my address being out there, I even put my return addy on packages I send out just in case they get lost... although I do mostly use my PO box now, just because our Postie here is super crap, lol!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 05:27:48 PM »
The worst I ever got from a pony purchase/trade was a bunch of pamphlets on veganism included with my pony.

But, I remember weaving a rather elaborate web of lies to conceal my identity (long story, nothing illegal or against forum rules) when I was young and that just got weird after a while.

If you don't feel comfortable, don't do it. Your personal and emotional well-being is more important than a toy.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 05:30:57 PM »
You can always use an initial :) Like I use B. (last name) on all my packages.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 05:32:36 PM »
oh, as a note of caution. It helps to have at least one name you use in common with your ID on packages. Back when I was using John Cabot, which is not on my id, the post office started giving me trouble about picking up my packages.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2013, 04:04:36 AM »
Theres a lot of good advice in this thread already :)  I honestly wouldnt worry about someone turning up for a visit. Check the feedback, check the bad trader list,  or even get the parcels sent to another address rather than the one you live at - all of this lowers any risk, but TBH its no more risky buying here than on ebay or other places online  - its probably safer than a lot of them   :awake:

Cat do I have to get out the spanky wand?  :shakefist:

Yes you do!  *reaches for my own spanky wand to give Cat an extra spank! *  :lol:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal