collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: USPS to cut Saturday Mail  (Read 1262 times)

Offline CrazyCatLady

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: USPS to cut Saturday Mail
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 05:59:14 AM »
Big, long explanation-http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2013/pr13_019.htm
Basically, packages will still be delivered, and if your post office is normally open on Saturdays, it will continue to be open. I'm not really expecting this to effect me, I don't care if my bills come on Saturday or the following Monday. But if you get Netflix DVD delivered I guess you'll have to order them early.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 07:37:20 AM »
TL;DR:  Ponies won't be affected, as there will still be 6 days of package/parcel delivery.  For those who shipped via that method, of course.  ;)  USPS had to balance it out somewhere... if now all First Class has "tracking" through the customs number, then higher-class services had to be delivered more often and faster to remain a premium service.

Also sadly all the money we spend at the counter on packages is NOT going to the operation costs - that all is going to the retirees claiming pension.  STAMPS are where they pay for operating costs from.  So buy lots and lots of POSTAGE STAMPS.  Start another collection!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 07:44:45 AM »
First Class mail International does not all have tracking now, only from the US to Canada  ;)

Also sadly all the money we spend at the counter on packages is NOT going to the operation costs - that all is going to the retirees claiming pension.  STAMPS are where they pay for operating costs from.  So buy lots and lots of POSTAGE STAMPS.  Start another collection!
The Postal Service relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations. It does not solely rest on postage stamps alone.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:56:32 AM by ponylady »
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 09:00:43 AM »
Seriously this is just the beginning. I am almost certain that we will go down a day again before this is all over and it will probably be Monday. Sit and watch. It might take a year or two...but it will probably happen.  It doesn't bother me really, I am just glad I do not sell anymore that much. This will affect shipping times on smaller packages and buyers are going to rate sellers lower for slower shipping even though it has nothing to do with the seller.  This will have an affect on that. A friend of mine and I were discussing not too long ago on the phone the fact that they may quit delivering mail one day street side.  Think of all the money they would save on gas and what not if you had to have a po box. My mother's neighborhood has no house delivery. Its all po box.  She lives in a very nice neighborhood too, very upscale.  I see this in the future where all people will have PO boxes and the mail carrier coming to the house will be a thing of the past.
For now we have lost Saturday.  It just shows how bad things are getting.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 09:09:33 AM »
Honestly, I'm all for this mail cut. If it means Congress will reduce spending by doing this, then let's do it until our debt is under control.

I'd like to see Congress stop paying themselves more money every year. That would cut a ton of spending.

As for no mail on Saturdays? Well, it's not like I can do anything about it. I'm a little bit PO'ed that we have to pay more money for shipping, but are getting less service overall. There doesn't seem to be a consensus as to whether all packages will continue to be delivered on Saturday, or only certain packages. So, I guess we'll see.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline babylofty

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 11:15:38 AM »
Honestly, I'm all for this mail cut. If it means Congress will reduce spending by doing this, then let's do it until our debt is under control.

I'd like to see Congress stop paying themselves more money every year. That would cut a ton of spending.

As for no mail on Saturdays? Well, it's not like I can do anything about it. I'm a little bit PO'ed that we have to pay more money for shipping, but are getting less service overall. There doesn't seem to be a consensus as to whether all packages will continue to be delivered on Saturday, or only certain packages. So, I guess we'll see.

I don't want to start a political argument, but I agree with you on Congress cutting their payroll. I'm wondering if this is a political move to go "Oh look! We saved 2 billion dollars by doing this! Ignore our new pay raise over here!" Or something like that. :P

And I think you're right that there is no straight answer on the Saturday packages.  I have heard three different versions: 1) There will be no mail, no packages, nothing on Saturdays. 2) There will only be express and medicine deliveries 3) There will be only package mails on Saturday.

And not to give USPS any ideas, but if the carriers aren't out, why not just shut down the mailrooms as well? Let's not just save 2B, let's save 7B!  However, they MUST upgrade the automatic package machines to include international packages. I find it SO frustrating when I have to mail something internationally and HAVE to wait in line for it, especially if it's a small rinky-dink package.

I know, first world problems. Going to cry a river now. :-P
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:17:32 AM by babylofty »
darcerin on the TP, arinaketchum on ebay, Salvia on PI

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 11:42:07 AM »
I don't want to start a political argument, but I agree with you on Congress cutting their payroll. I'm wondering if this is a political move to go "Oh look! We saved 2 billion dollars by doing this! Ignore our new pay raise over here!" Or something like that.

It's always like this. -_-

Also, my fiance's father is a mail carrier, so this whole thing personally affects me. Thankfully his pay doesn't go down, but the overtime on Monday's are going to be hell. Not just for him, but for us who have to deal with him when he comes home. :lol:

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 12:04:01 PM »
the thing I don't get, is why don't they raise the price for presorted, mass mailers(junkmail)and so on? 

periodicals(magazines) are mailed for $0.75 a POUND.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »
This is sad news :( The only thing I don't like about Sundays is no mail, now it's Saturdays too :silly: Ah well, if this helps them stay in business then it's a good thing :) I would hate to have to send everything UPS or FedEx :shocked:
My Wish List

Offline MoonHawke

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Gaming is Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 12:10:31 PM »
On one hand, I understand why they're cutting out Saturdays (to cut cost). But at the same time, it's like: isn't the post office already overworked? Now they're expected to do the same amount of work they normally do in 6 days to 5 days?

Oh well, maybe they'll change their minds before the change takes effect.
Wishlist: Cherry Blossom :heart: Fairy Dust

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal