collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: (dry) rotting hair on G4 styling pony?  (Read 569 times)

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
(dry) rotting hair on G4 styling pony?
« on: November 20, 2014, 06:56:05 AM »
Hi there :) calling all G4 hair experts!
I recieved a used Styling Strands Fluttershy today (she was a real bargain, 3€ only, had to get her). Sadly she had really really tight braids and when I untangled the hair... it fell off. Well, not everything but in an alarming amount. I also noticed that her hair is kinda brittle and it will strip off once I gently pull it. It reminds me of dry rot; I had a few fakies and Perfume Puff ponies that had suffered from it.
Anyone else noticed the same on their Styling Strands Fluttershy? I wonder if its her general hair texture or if maybe this particular pony had been treated with anything wrong in its (short) past.
Since shes looking all mangy now, I am thinking of customizing her :/

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
Re: (dry) rotting hair on G4 styling pony?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 07:03:41 AM »
I would personally try washing it with shampoo veeeeeeeery gently (without pulling on it or combing) just to wash off any residue of who knows what and letting it fully dry.
I've had ponies with scary hair that was breaking off in pieces but washing helped a considerable amount, leading me to wonder if there was residue of something causing the mass breakage.

If she's too far gone, there's no shame in customizing. :D
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:30:26 AM »
Perhaps you can also use some fabric softenener. I'm not sure but it makes the hair more soft. Just fill a bowl with water and some softener and let her float in it for some time.

AlmostApplejack

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
This hasn't been an unheard of incident with this pony, unfortunately. I've heard of other members having problems with this pony, and she does have a different kind of hair that is not your standard nylon pony hair. People were complaining that you can't brush her too hard or she would start to shed really bad. Combine that with the tight braids and yikes!

Have no shame in customizing this pony, if it's what you wish. I don't think there's any way to fix her  :(

CottonTALE

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 01:23:47 PM »
With the Styling Strands G4 line, Hasbro seems to have used a cotton-like blend for their hair...  While the original velcro clips it came with stick to the hair because of this, it makes brushing it a pain in the butt. I had a hard time brushing her hair as soon as she came out of the box, so she stays on the shelf and doesn't get brushed as often.

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »
Thank you all for the replys! Aww yes, cotton-like, thats what is it. It feels super strange when you touch it.
I already tried hot water, fabric softener and stuff but it didnt really do any good. For now her tail is not too bad but her mane is. Maybe Ill find a place on the shelf where I can put her so you dont see much of that crumbled messy hair, lol.
Its bad to hear other peoples have issues with this particular pony too, what a shame! I was close to buy her new at TRU one day, glad now I did not and saved a lot of money (she was darn expensive, thats why I left her there that day).

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 04:01:02 PM »
I have seen people say she looses hair much more than any other pony but as has been mentioned thats probably due to the type of hair and if it has been been slightly mis treated (slightly defeats the purpose of a pony who is supposed to be all about styling). However I think its more just the type of hair than the same rotting we see with G3.

Sounds like you got her for a bargain price though!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Silver_mirror46

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Check out my art store @La Poyoshop on Etsy
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 09:17:27 AM »
yeah her hair is a bit too delicate, I might rehair her in the future :B
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thank you PonyWithnoCrown afor the lovely pony in siggie :3
My DA page  My Tumblr Art Tag  Commissions   Trader Feedback

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal