collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you De-card MOC ponies?

Yes, I want them to be free, be free my beauties!
26 (21.5%)
No. No way, it devalues them waaay too much/ I'm a MOC collector!
41 (33.9%)
Well, it depends on the value of the pony really...
37 (30.6%)
Hmm I don't really have an opinion on this?!
3 (2.5%)
..... All I can think about is food....
14 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: ***The incredible unmentionable.....Do you De-Card the MOC pony?***  (Read 3416 times)

Offline VanillaBean

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.VanillaTwist.deviantart.com
Re: ***The incredible unmentionable.....Do you De-Card the MOC pony?***
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 07:00:05 AM »
If a MOC G1 So soft somehow managed to find its way into my hands, I wouldn't be able to resist opening her...  * ducks fakies *
Hunting for G2 MLP & Pretty Pony Club magazines! :)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 07:10:51 AM »
I'd seriously love to decard just one. I'd never tell anyone though!
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 07:20:04 AM »
The only G1 I've ever decarded the pony was obviously in bait condition from being in the water damaged packaging! SS fifi, now a prize pony in my collection. She went for 10 dollars on ebay that's how bad of shape this MOC was in! I was born at the end of the 80s so G2s were my childhood pony gen. It really depends for me I pass on MOCs because I prefer loose.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 07:42:52 AM »
I tend to avoid buying mib/moc ponies, but the few that have passed through here have all been opened.

G1s - I've had two out; the first was in a badly damaged box so I specifically bought her to open, the second can be put back into the box (but the tape was open) and I left the accessories in.

G2s - I haven't had a MOC G2 since I was a child buying them to play with

G3s - Open but I've only received common enough MIB in swaps and I don't have room for their packaging. TBH the only one that I want to buy MIP to open is SLH Precious Gem because I've had zero luck finding one with mint tail curls.

G4s - Open.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 07:43:36 AM »
I'm someone who would open it. :) I've opened MIB G1s before, and it was a really fantastic feeling. It like brings you back that childhood feeling of opening a toy on xmas day (or something). With that said, since my want list for ponies is so tiny-- and I know other people appreciate them-- I have no desire to do it again*.

* with the exception of specific nirvanas, which I wouldn't think twice about.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 08:11:12 AM »
Someone's probably going to drop an anvil on my head now but meh...I'm a human.

I would open any MIB/MOC pony I purchased regardless of generation. As far as I'm concerned if I buy a pony it is my right to to open it, I've paid for it. It belongs in my collection and I don't buy high value ponies to sell on later. I'm the same with my Monster High dolls.

I don't see the point in buying a pony if you can't hold it in your hand or arrange it amongst your other ponies in a position to suit you. I get that people keep them wrapped up to keep value, fair enough but that's not me.

I'm being honest and I know its an unpopular thing, I've not had a G1 MOC/MIB as yet because I do prefer to buy loose ponies because it's cheaper. The value of ponies only concerns me when I'm buying them as loose ponies are cheaper. But I would open A MIB/MOC pony no matter how much it cost me because I buy ponies to be PART of my collection not stand on the sidelines.

I'm probably public enemy number 1 now. I know most people will cry out in horror but it's the way I collect, I want to be able to move my ponies around and brush their manes and tails not dust a box.
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 08:12:52 AM »
Someone's probably going to drop an anvil on my head now but meh...I'm a human.

I would open any MIB/MOC pony I purchased regardless of generation. As far as I'm concerned if I buy a pony it is my right to to open it, I've paid for it. It belongs in my collection and I don't buy high value ponies to sell on later. I'm the same with my Monster High dolls.

I don't see the point in buying a pony if you can't hold it in your hand or arrange it amongst your other ponies in a position to suit you. I get that people keep them wrapped up to keep value, fair enough but that's not me.

I'm being honest and I know its an unpopular thing, I've not had a G1 MOC/MIB as yet because I do prefer to buy loose ponies because it's cheaper. The value of ponies only concerns me when I'm buying them as loose ponies are cheaper. But I would open A MIB/MOC pony no matter how much it cost me because I buy ponies to be PART of my collection not stand on the sidelines.

I'm probably public enemy number 1 now. I know most people will cry out in horror but it's the way I collect, I want to be able to move my ponies around and brush their manes and tails not dust a box.

That's how I feel about this. :)

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 09:08:06 AM »
Lol I'm glad I'm not the only one
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 09:10:11 AM »
Lol I'm glad I'm not the only one

Indeed, I mean, if you paid for it, you wanted it, and you saved and spent for it, it's yours. Surely if you own it, you choose what to do with it? Or are we all governed by opinion? Personally, I wouldn't open a really expensive pony (just me) because I would want to keep it's value, but if I couldn't find this pony mint loose, I would open it...! x

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 09:45:34 AM »
I de-card or whatever if the packaging is in terrible shape.  If it can be easily repaired, then I will try to fix it but I don't hold guilt about opening something that has mold/water damage/chew marks/rips/tape marks/spills & gunk.

If the packaging is nice, I keep it that way because I understand some collectors are into that.  All of these are limited and finite as to their supply, so I would be inconsiderate of other members in the community if I "destroyed" them.  I am sure I will get comments from this next example but it's how I feel.

Pretend you are in charge of distributing the bagged lunches for ticketholders at an event.  Pretend you are NOT gluten-free.  Do you throw all the gluten-free lunches in the trash or throw a wheat roll in the bag because you think they need some gluten?  No.  Same deal with ponies.  If you are not into MIB/MOC, don't buy them!  Don't buy them to open them!  Just buy a loose one!  Save them for the collectors who DO collect that thing. 

It's very similar to the "Do I bait this perfectly good pony because I have it here in my hands?" debate.  ;)  There's room for everyone's opinions!  :D
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 09:59:22 AM »
I would not decard a MOC G1 unless the packaging endangered the pony somehow.  Not because of the money issue, but because there are only a certain number of MOCs left and it's a waste.   It's not like a MOC pony is even guaranteed to be "mint";  they can have cheek rubs, symbol rubs, off-center symbol paint (I had a MOC Beach Ball who was like that), maybe even cancer.  So what's the point of opening the pony instead of buying a loose pony that you know is mint from the seller's description?

Also, even though everyone is entitled to do what they want with their ponies, remember that no matter how much a collector love ponies now, they probably will not be in the community forever.  Very few people I knew ten years ago are still around.  A MOC pony may get you through a financial emergency.

I guess the way I see it is . . . would you buy a Posey with stunningly pink hair and then set her on a shelf in direct sunlight?  Wouldn't it be better just to buy a Posey who already had white hair, if you like her with white hair?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 10:11:20 AM »
MOC G1? NEVER!!! MOC G2 - no, MIB G3 - maybe, MIB G4 - yes (though I kept the Crystal Empire ones MOC because their packaging reminds me of G1s!)
My Wish List

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 10:20:37 AM »
I'm not a MOC collector so I don't buy MOC ponies unless they're G4 because I love the feeling of opening a new toy ^.^ But if I somehow ended up with a MOC pony from a previous gen, I would let it stay MOC forever.
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline relcelestia

• Trade Count: (+107)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Argie Obsessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 10:22:13 AM »
i have deboxed all gens ;)

HOWEVER i would never debox a US G1 pony...

i have totally decarded several G1 Argentina ponies.. they are EXTREMELy HTF in NM or even great condition but many are easy to find MOC. and consequently they don't seem to lose much value once decarded
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:47:18 AM by relcelestia »
HEY [you]! Sell me your Argies! :dribble: Wishlist

Click HERE to see my 125 Argies!

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 10:31:01 AM »
If it's a G1, why not just buy a mint loose one? It will be cheaper, probably easier to find (I guess there could be exceptions, but not many), and you won't be destroying something that other collectors would really cherish. I prefer loose ponies...so I buy loose ponies. Would it be cool to open a G1? Yeah, probably, as I've never done it myself. But I just think it's a waste of a really cool piece of nostalgia to do so.

I feel similarly about G2, I'm not as concerned with G3 or 3.5 and I don't care what you do with G4.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal