collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does anyone know if there is going to be a new "The Last Unicorn" movie?  (Read 6565 times)

Offline Gypsy_Nights

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolute Night Owl!
    • View Profile
So my cousin and I LOVE the animated film "The Last Unicorn".  And she had told me like 5 years ago that she had heard that they were remaking it.  She hadn't heard anything about it since so it seems like it must have been a rumor or did they just cancel it???  Had anyone else heard something about this?  Does anyone know if it was true? 

I just happen to think about it all of the sudden and wondered.  I would love it if it was just still in the making or something.   :)
~~~Me and My FiM Family~~~
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Sales Thread     My deviantART Page

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know if there is going to be a new "The Last Unicorn" movie?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 02:43:10 AM »
Oh I loved that book.  I actually just reread it for about the 10th time a few months ago.  I do no think I saw the film though.
It would be cool to see it remade but not animated.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline dollhands

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Collection
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 02:51:55 AM »
I read a live action version was announced, but they haven't made much progress so who knows if it'll ever come out.

They are re-releasing the animated version :lovey: Can't wait!! The Last Unicorn was one of my fav cartoons as a kid. :)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/10/17-1/the-last-unicorn-heads-back-to-theaters
=^x^=
~*~*~Wishlist~*~*~

Offline Gypsy_Nights

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolute Night Owl!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 04:04:07 AM »
I read a live action version was announced, but they haven't made much progress so who knows if it'll ever come out.

They are re-releasing the animated version :lovey: Can't wait!! The Last Unicorn was one of my fav cartoons as a kid. :)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/10/17-1/the-last-unicorn-heads-back-to-theaters

So the live action version rummer was true!  But it just might not actually come out, huh?  That stinks.  I hope they finish it!!    Maybe they will make more progress with it if the turn outs from the re-release of the animated version goes well.  *crossing fingers* 

Thanks so much Dollhands for giving the link!!  :heart:  I am super excited about the animated version coming out in 3D!!   :biggrin: That will be sooo Cool!!  Not to mention that they are adding a few new scenes!  Yay!!  :biggrin: I can't wait!!  But from the sound of it, it may be in select movie theaters?  Is that what you gather too?

Offline dollhands

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Collection
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 04:22:31 AM »

So the live action version rummer was true!  But it just might not actually come out, huh?  That stinks.  I hope they finish it!!    Maybe they will make more progress with it if the turn outs from the re-release of the animated version goes well.  *crossing fingers* 

Thanks so much Dollhands for giving the link!!  :heart:  I am super excited about the animated version coming out in 3D!!   :biggrin: That will be sooo Cool!!  Not to mention that they are adding a few new scenes!  Yay!!  :biggrin: I can't wait!!  But from the sound of it, it may be in select movie theaters?  Is that what you gather too?

Yes :/ This is what it said on wikipedia:

"Continent Films
In addition, a live-action adaptation of the original book has been announced as in development for several years, but it is not clear what progress (if any) has been made towards production. A minor controversy erupted in 2005 over the producers' plans to create their screen unicorn by filming trained horses and then using CGI to modify them. This runs directly counter to the physical description of the unicorn in the book, which explicitly states that the unicorn looks nothing at all like "a horned horse".
In February 2006, Continent Films unveiled a new official website for the project which made clear that the film was still in development.[7] It was not yet funded, did not have a shooting script, and had not been cast. In the new website, all actor names but Christopher Lee's had been removed; and even Lee's involvement was revealed to be nothing more than a promise to appear in the film if he was available and if terms could be worked out with his agent."

So at this point, doesn't look very likely.

No worries, happy to help :D Me too, I am so looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. :lovey: 

By the sound of it they are having special screenings of the film in certain countries, and the author Peter S Beagle will be at every one to answer questions, meet people and sign autographs.  Then later it will be released worldwide for everyone in 2D and 3D. Woohoo! :cheer:
=^x^=
~*~*~Wishlist~*~*~

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 05:26:28 AM »
Interesting. I had no idea!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline SurfStar

• Surfer Pony
  • Trade Count: (+61)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Wind, waves, 'n Sun...
    • View Profile
    • Spunsugar Confections
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 07:43:04 AM »
Mmm. I remember that rumor. I know that for a while the Live-action version was listed on IMDB.com too. It was something I was looking forward to since the animated version holds a special place in my heart.

Nesferxty

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 07:52:03 AM »
I literally just bought this film on DVD :) I used to love it as a child but my VHS player broke so I caved and got it on DVD haha! Can't wait for the 3D version to come out now!

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 07:54:03 AM »
Yeah, but will the $5 million renovation keep the "questionable" parts in the movie like the breasted tree and the swears? I know certain releases of the movie had parts edited out. I want all of it like I remember!

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 07:54:07 AM »

Oh my god. I'm so excited I'm practically vibrating

Offline EStRanger

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 10:03:54 AM »

Yeah, but will the $5 million renovation keep the "questionable" parts in the movie like the breasted tree and the swears? I know certain releases of the movie had parts edited out. I want all of it like I remember!

I hope they keep everything intact! I know Beagle really wants it all left alone. The Blu-Ray release has the unedited version, I'm happy to say! (But you have to go in the menu and choose it. The version that plays by default is the edited one.)

I hope the renovation uses the singer on the German release of the movie/soundtrack, who replaced Mia Farrow's awful warbling that we got on the US release (but still in English, not German). XD I guess they could also replace Jeff Bridges' singing voice. *I* don't mind it at all. It's in-character for Prince Lír; I LIKE the fact that he's not a brilliant singer because the whole point of his character is that he's an average guy stuck in unusual circumstances. But a lot of people seemed to miss that bit (mostly people who never read the book, at least in my experience!) and just complain that Bridges' singing wasn't very good. So I could understand if it got replaced...though that doesn't mean I have to like it.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:12:19 AM by Mystagic »
Don't look for me!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 12:39:38 PM »
Last I heard, they were still going full force with this, so there should eventually be somethng :D

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Gypsy_Nights

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolute Night Owl!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »

I guess if they kept those parts they would have to rate it PG-13.  But they may not do that since they will probably want young children to be able to watch it too.  After all that would be more money made on the movie if kids can go too.  Not to mention they probably realize that the fan base will probably go see it no matter what.  I know I would go see it anyway! 

At least if they come out with the live action version they might keep it the same.   Since it will be a movie instead of a cartoon maybe they will steer it more towards an older crowd and leave everything in it.  :)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 08:20:23 AM »
They had a full website with production stills, cgi test, etc. I think they got stalled though.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 11:14:17 AM »

from what i've remember hearing, they're supposed to be keeping the 'questionable' parts, finishing up animation on several scenes, renovating parts and putting in material that had been cut out of the original due to time/cost restraints.
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal