collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions, anyone?  (Read 5054 times)

spookysage

• Trade Count: (0)
Unpopular Opinions, anyone?
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:44:27 PM »
And other peccadilloes of personal taste! I did search up another thread on this, but it's a little over a year old, so if nobody minds...

- I just realized this one and it's why I started the thread - I don't care much for TAFs, and even I admit that's weird! I don't dislike them, but given the choice, I'd take them all with a normal symbol. Sugarberry's pretty cute though - I think since she's covered in vines it just looks more natural to me. (Although I'd love to see a TAF Mimic - covered in birds like the brightest Hitchcock film you ever saw!)

- I don't get what's so ugly about G2s - sure, their proportions are different than other normal ponies and that can be pretty strange, but you'd think they'd grow on more people eventually. Is it just a longstanding grudge in play?

- Maybe it's because I'm just starting out, but I get the feeling I have lower standards than a lot of people for not deflocking a So Soft. Glue yellowing? Slightly thinned flocking in a few spots? No big deal! And I could never bring myself to deflock one just for the colors unless she was in really poor shape and/or I had an army, I think I'd resort to a custom first (seems easier than some of the stories I've read, too :lol:)
Right now there's one on eBay in pretty good shape - except there's a hole in one of her feet, with a small bald patch around it. Unfortunately I've agreed to not getting any ponies online until I find a job, but there's a few hours left in that auction and it breaks my heart, because the pony probably has deflocking and baiting in her future. I'd give that pony a home just as she is, darnit, maybe track down a set of pony shoes if the hole gets to me. I admit I would not be having this reaction if she were a basic pony, though - maybe I'd have the same reaction to a TE?

- FiM related, everyone puts humanized Fluttershy in flowy, feminine bohemian clothes, or something a little preppier, but still with a skirt and probably a sweater or cardigan. Don't get me wrong, I love the mori girl look, it fits her so well! But since she works with animals, I think she should be wearing more practical clothes (ignore the Star Trek uniform) you see zoologists and zookeepers wear - windbreakers, khaki things with lots of pockets, rugged boots for traipsing through the forest and so on. She still dresses up for special occasions, of course, but if she were wearing more flattering clothes day-to-day, people might have noticed she was model material before Rarity put her in a fancy dress :biggrin:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:46:59 PM by spookysage »

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Opinions, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 12:53:36 PM »
I also dont get why G2 is so unpopular. I didnt mind their looks but maybe because those were the first ponies I ever got.  :3 They were one of my favourite toyrs besides my lego and  Playmobil. X3

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 12:55:34 PM »
Here is my unpopular opinion: I don't like princess ponies. I have one whom I like, but as a whole, those gaudy thick symbols just really look wonky to me *dodges fakies*
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline PitterPatter

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Rhinos are just fat unicorns...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 12:57:50 PM »
Ha, I kinda agree with you on some of these.
 - I totally don't see why G2 is ugly. Sure they are different, but I like them and their shiny eyes.
- And I so see the practical side of Fluttershy - if she were human - needing trousers and boots.

I guess my unpopular opinion at the moment would be:
- G4s, I really love them at the moment! I know they are mostly the same, and I know they are perhaps cheap (stickers, same moulds, no tinsel in the tail) but I like that. It means they are £5 for a single here and that means I can afford them. Lack of variety also means I can collect those, as well as older gens simultaneously as I can afford to spread my money all across all of them. I like their cute little faces, I don't care if they aren't show accurate - I can only watch the show online anyway  :P  So there, I like the G4s the way they are ^_^

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 01:02:10 PM »
I don't understand why G3.5 is so hated. Sure, we had basically 6 characters released over and over again, but that's close to the same thing G4 has with a few other characters tossed in, and I find G3.5's body type much more distinguishable as an actually pony than G4 is.

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 01:03:12 PM »
My unpopular opinion is that vintage toys are still toys! If a child loves to play with a G1 pony no collector (or greedy parent for that matter) should take it away from them!  ;)

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 01:05:15 PM »
My unpopular opinion is that the Big Brother molds are clunky and unappealing.  Give me a male pony in a supposedly "female" pose (like Sportstime) any day of the week.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 01:05:35 PM »
The pony of my youth was G1 so it will always be my favorite. I've never related to G2, I've seen the odd nice one and owned a couple because of a bundle purchase but I'm just not into them. I dont like the body, face or eyes I can't explain what it is that puts me off so much.
Fluttershy should defo be all shorts and safari shirts with wooly socks and hiking boots. She can wear boho dresses at parties lol
TAF hmm I must admit the only TAFs I really like are Sugarberry and Milkyway. None of the others have really grabbed me, I believe as a child I owned Up and Away (she got a serious haircut if I remember rightly haha). I may one day buy Dancing Butterflies but with the others I just don't know.
I like Princess Ponies I have three, I never liked the hats for them always thought they could have done with more flare and am disappointed that every time I see Primrose up for auction she's got wonky leg syndrome.
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
I'll admit to guilty pleasure with the current way they release G4's - I can keep up! While there's no new ponies, I can get my hands on the US only releases, and the HTF's online. I actually stopped collecting in G3, because I'm such a completionist, and I simply couldn't afford to keep up. we were so far behind, we'd get the whole year's ponies at once, and it was insane! Thank goodness I got back into it, but those g3's are still my least fave gen (aside from 3.5) and I generally only buy in lots or at markets and thrift!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

spookysage

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 01:14:37 PM »
- G4s, I really love them at the moment! I know they are mostly the same, and I know they are perhaps cheap (stickers, same moulds, no tinsel in the tail) but I like that. It means they are £5 for a single here and that means I can afford them. Lack of variety also means I can collect those, as well as older gens simultaneously as I can afford to spread my money all across all of them. I like their cute little faces, I don't care if they aren't show accurate - I can only watch the show online anyway  :P  So there, I like the G4s the way they are ^_^

I feel pretty close to the same way, not just on ponies but on a lot of things - I can like them while acknowledging their faults, but I can also acknowledge their faults and still like them! If we didn't like them so much to begin with, we wouldn't want more - more characters, more brushables, more boy ponies, more quality control, etc.

I do get why some people like to shoot for show accuracy on their toys, just because the designs are so pretty it's nice to actually have them around. TV Twilight Sparkle's bangs are adorable, and I think everyone's happy about Fluttershy's new blind bag mold - both so she looks more like herself, and to add more variety. At the same time, I don't mind the little things, like how their eyes aren't precisely show-accurate, or the various colors Applejack's hat comes in. Either way, there's always customizing!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 01:16:38 PM by spookysage »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 01:24:15 PM »
I want G4 to end and for Hasbro to either sit on the MLP toyline brand for 10 years or release G5.  But enough G4!!!!  *rips out hair and cries*
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 01:35:19 PM »
While I always hated the way they keep releasing the 6 same girls in G4, I'll admit something recently dawned on me - this means a lot more easy-to-find ponies for customizers to use. I think G4s make adorable customs (especially when using G1 designs) and hopefully more G4s will be used as bait and less early generations will. So I guess in that sense I've stopped caring so much about the constant re-releases.

I also have some seemingly unpopular opinions regarding what constitutes a bait pony or a pony who should to be rehaired... :/
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

majikarte

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 01:35:51 PM »
I don't really get why the Tootsie pose isn't more popular? I think the way the head is, is really cute.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 01:42:43 PM »
-I don't get the hate for G2 or G3.5 either! I used to really dislike the latter, but when I saw them in person I just fell in love. I like them quite a bit now, actually. I guess I just really like odd ponies.

-I don't really care for FiM anymore. I still collect G4, but the show is just getting old to me. It was still the reason I became interested in ponies in the first place so I will always owe it that, but I just don't find the cartoon that entertaining anymore. It's still cute, but I don't really follow it anymore.

-You know, I used to think that I was a picky SS collector, but I'm learning that I'm really not! I still like the flocking to look nice, but I'm okay with thinning and rubs in the usual spots (ears. horns, wings, and hooves). I still don't like them patchy though. I've never deflocked before, but if I ever did, I would love to try re-flocking. (I know this isn't recommended, but hey, I'll experiment with anything at least once!)

-I LOVE FAKIES! They were the first ponies I wanted to collect.

-I LOVE SEA PONIES! They were the other first ponies I wanted to collect. It was a slippery slope from there.

-I'm not really a Mimic fan. I would pick her up if I found her, but otherwise, she's just kind of meh to me.

-I'm not really a fan of Twinkle Eyes in general. There are a lot of Ponies that are TE that I like, and a pony having TE wouldn't stop me from wanting it, but I don't like the concept at all. I think their eyes are sort of creepy. Whenever I see one (especially a red-eyed one like Party Time) I always think "when I killed your brother, I talked.... just... like... THIIIIISSS!!!"

-No accessories for me, thanks. I'd rather just have the Pony!

-I always pop off G1 heads to make sure that there are no problems on the inside. The idea of 30-year-old grime on plastic that hasn't seen the light since the 1980s really grosses me out. I like for them to be clean, or at least as clean as I can get them!

-Munchy's symbols are soy-based vegetarian products, because cannibal Ponies aren't nice.

-Moondancer's chubby pose is adorable, not ugly.

-Megan in the G1 cartoon is a dork.

-I don't love Drama Pony as much as I'm apparently supposed to.

That's all I can think of, and also, please don't hate me. :|

Wishing Well

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 01:46:36 PM »
My unpopular opinion?

I do not care for, and in fact, do not like a grand majority of G1 ponies. There are a few that I do like, for colour combinations (Lemon Drop, Alt Birthflowers), Poses (Bubbles) or just being bizarre looking (South Africans). Bust most of them? Don't care for them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal