collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 526
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: BJD jewelry?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
BJD jewelry?
« on: May 21, 2015, 12:35:10 PM »
So I really like when BJD companies/artists do metal jewelry/crowns/helmets/corsets/shoes.  I want some of it for my dolls, but usually it is only available when you buy a fancy set, or if loose (like Chateau has a helmet I love) it fits only a specific doll and is very expensive to boot.

So I took a lost wax casting class.  It was easier than I expected - and also a little harder, as you basically have to CARVE wax (some very soft and unforgiving of much handling) and some very hard (which takes a lot of patience and is unforgiving if you clip off more than you should have).  I can sculpt just a bit but carving is so much different.

But I really want some doll jewelry/crowns/helmets/ect.  And nobody is making this stuff for me! 

So here is my first project.   I really wanted THIS crown or something like it:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This is the Snow Queen by Tomislav Tomic (fairy tail illustrator)

I decided to use this thin soft wax- because the thick hard wax just wouldn't work with this design. But I made it way too elaborate, overhandled it- and... had to start all over.  On my second try, I simplified the design a lot. I added a helmet piece because a) I like helmets and b) I'm not entirely sure how it would be easily worn otherwise...  It was also too wide to fit into the cheaper casting bucket- so I narrowed a pretty good amount and shortened some spikes a lot.

I added some blue wax "dots" with a dental wax pen- definitely a technique I need to practice a lot more before my next project... I then attached blue "wax wire" to act as sprues (so the metal coudl fill evenly). Here it is ready to get cooked!

Since it is a Snow Queen crown- I really wanted to do it in silver-  but it turns out that silver casting is super expensive.  Also-  while I like what I made- I will be the first to admit my design has a lot of issues.  There are uneven places the triangles on top of the spikes are uneven- the "dots" not of uniform size or spaced very well- and really a lot that makes me blush.  But I didn't have time to do it all over again- and so rather than scrap the idea I decided to cast it in something cheap and see if I could sand out the issues- and try a better crown later-  :) 

So I had it cast- imperfections and all!  I was going to get it in bronze (which is surprisingly cheap) but let the casting assistant guy (art student) talk me into copper - he was so cute and really thought it would look cool in gold  ^.^

Here it is so far-  I still need to pick it up, clip the "sprues" off- and sand it and finish it- but I am liking how it is turning out!  (the crown bit will fit onto the helmet bit and I will solder the pieces together once I get it sanded and polished)

So far I've sunk a fair bit of time into it- so I am starting to see why this stuff isn't cheap, hehe  I guess if I ever get a design that is really nice and perfect-  what most jewelry people do is make a resin cast of the object, get it wax injected- and then cast a bunch of copies.  But I'm not there yet...

Still- I do wish that more people made doll accessories out of metal!  Have any of you done lost wax casting or metal work of any kind? I tried pretty hard to talk the art students/my teacher into getting into BJD accessories- and they seemed very interested (although they are not DOLL people if you know what I mean) but I don't really think they will be able to do much without an actual doll in hand to make it for- and I wasn't about to give them one of mine  :biggrin:

Oh and my inspiration? Looking at all of the ridiculously amazing helmets and bodices and crowns by Marina Bychova  http://www.enchanteddoll.com/ 

I have no idea how she manages her incredibly complex and intricate designs- she is such an inspiration!

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:43:45 PM by Galactica »

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: BJD jewelry?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 01:20:32 PM »
Like I already said: AMAZING! I need to commission you! Maybe a trade?

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 01:47:56 PM »
Omgosh! What talent! This is goooorgeous.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 02:16:10 PM »
Gosh thanks you guys :D

Karen once I've got this down, for sure we can trade ;)

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 03:55:12 PM »
That is seriously impressive! You should be very proud of your work!

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 03:21:19 PM »
WOW, looking great so far...I can't wait to see it all finished and on a model :D

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline Hervoyel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Box Revenge
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 01:35:47 PM »
Wow, those are some gorgeous pieces!

Blog

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 02:31:12 PM »
Thanks! I got a lot of it done- but haven't had the opportunity to solder it - since I don't have easy access to a soldering gun it may be a while  :blush:

Here's just the crown part-

Here it is stuck onto the helmet piece but unattached (you can see the gap- which will disappear when soldered)

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 02:53:08 PM »
Nice work. Sometimes when you can't find something, you just have to create it yourself!

Wow, those headdresses by enchanteddoll are surreal. I need some of that in my life!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal