collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Have you read the book the last Unicorn?  (Read 1798 times)

Empress Celestia

• Trade Count: (0)
Have you read the book the last Unicorn?
« on: April 15, 2014, 02:06:31 PM »
My girlfriend gave me a copy and I just wanted to find out if it was worth reading? I'm guessing the plotline would be kind of similar to MLP.

Sarah Jo

Re: Have you read the book the last Unicorn?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 02:09:25 PM »
It's an amazing book, if you like fantasy. :) Despite being about a unicorn, it's really not overly girly or cutsie - at all. It has some serious and even sad tones to it. Have you never heard of or seen the animated movie based on it ?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:10:58 PM by Sarah Jo »

Offline happycootie

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • G1 collector & animal lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 02:09:50 PM »
To be honest, I've never read the book. The movie based on it is wonderful though! :biggrin: It's one of my childhood favorites. The book is on my 'to read eventually' list.

Empress Celestia

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 02:10:58 PM »
It's an amazing book, if you like fantasy. :) Have you never heard of or seen the animated movie based on it ?

I have. Didn't it have Jeff Bridges in it?

Sarah Jo

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 02:12:16 PM »
Yep ! And Christopher Lee. :) You could maybe watch that and then decide whether to read the book ? There's enough differences to keep you from being bored even after knowing the general ending, I think.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 02:19:18 PM »
I haven't read it. I guess you can say it's in the top 10 for my bucket list... LOL.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 02:37:36 PM »
I haven't read the original book but instead I read the Graphic Novel version. Stunning artwork in it. If you enjoy reading it maybe give the graphic novel version a try and also the movie.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Empress Celestia

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 02:43:15 PM »
I haven't read the original book but instead I read the Graphic Novel version. Stunning artwork in it. If you enjoy reading it maybe give the graphic novel version a try and also the movie.

I've actually also just bought the graphic novel off of comixology and am reading it right now!

Sarah Jo

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 02:45:10 PM »
Oh yes, seconding the graphic novel as well ! Those of you that love the movie.. definitely give the book a go. :) And here's some favorite quotes of mine to give a little idea of the writing style..

"The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam, but rather the color of snow falling on a moonlit night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea.

She did not look anything like a horned horse, as unicorns are often pictured, being smaller and cloven-hoofed, and possessing that oldest, wildest grace that horses have never had, that deer have only in a shy, thin imitation and goats in dancing mockery. Her neck was long and slender, making her head seem smaller than it was, and the mane that fell almost to the middle of her back was as soft as dandelion fluff and as fine as cirrus."

"The unicorn was weary of human beings. Watching her companions as they slept, seeing the shadows of their dreams scurry over their faces, she would feel herself bending under the heaviness of knowing their names. Then she would run until morning to ease the ache: swifter than rain, swift as loss, racing to catch up with the time when she had known nothing at all but the sweetness of being herself."

"Suddenly the unicorn screamed. It was not at all like the challenging bell with which she had first met the Red Bull; it was an ugly, squawking wail of sorrow and loss and rage, such as no immortal creature ever gave."

"As for you and your heart and all the things you said and didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. Think of that, and be still."

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 02:56:02 PM »
It is one of my favorite books, and I am exceptionally picky, particularly in terms of quality.  It is very well written in my opinion, and I love the story and the characters.  I would say that it is certainly worth reading, and I like lots of other stuff by Peter Beagle (the author) as well.  He is a very talented guy with a lovely and unique writing style.  It is also quite a short book, so it is worth giving it a shot even if you don't think it is your cup of tea.  For what it's worth, I am quite a fan of the movie as well.   ^.^

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
Yes I have, and I still have it and have read it to my daughters and my hubby  :lol:. It is very good, and the movie is pretty close to the book as the screenplay was written by Beagle, the author of the book.

The movie was done by Rankin/Bass who made such other wonderful movies like the cartoon "The Hobbit" and the "Return of the King" , and "Flight of Dragons" (another great one) and of course Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer and all those other Christmas movies.

The Last Unicorn had an all star cast for voices...Jeff Bridges, Christopher Lee, Alan Arkan, Mia Farrow, and Angela Lansbury....great movie...
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

UnicornCandy

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 03:26:48 PM »
OHMYGOSH -

FAVORITE FILM, OF ALL THE TWENTY YEARS I'VE BEEN ALIVE!

<3

Empress Celestia

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 03:34:01 PM »
OHMYGOSH -

<3

What's it like? Is it in any way similar to MLP, either G1 or G4?

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 03:36:47 PM »
I loved the book, although I think I read it as a collection of short stories by Beagle.  The story is so beautiful and melancholy- it is one of the few books as an adult that I can read over and over.

I liked the graphic novel too, it was beautiful but I found myself missing some of the dialogue cut out.  The movie was fantastic.  So beautifully drawn, and quite true to the story.  I think it was my favorite movie of all time as a kid- I loved the end scene the best...

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 03:37:37 PM »
OHMYGOSH -

<3

What's it like? Is it in any way similar to MLP, either G1 or G4?

I am not sure if I would compare it to MLP, it is a whole breed of story on its own. I guess you can compare the idea of an adventure, overcoming odds, and the like with MLP and that there is a unicorn, but I think that is about it...

It is a rather dramatic story I think....
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal