collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thoughts about upgrading ponies.  (Read 298 times)

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
Thoughts about upgrading ponies.
« on: October 12, 2022, 03:48:52 AM »
Hello everyone,

I went through my (g1) herd and found some ponies I couldn't bond with due to their flaws.
I want to upgrade them but I do feel bad. Plus rehoming can be difficult.

I am going to replace them/ see if somebody can fix them.

What are your thougts on/experience with upgrades?

Would love to hear your thoughts!
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Thoughts about upgrading ponies.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 07:18:52 AM »
G1 are pretty easy to sell for the right price if you're just looking to swap. What are the flaws on yours?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline DracoKat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 12:40:14 PM »
I like to try to fix them myself. I tend to "bond" better with ponies that I can personally fix, whether I rehair or sunfade or touch up the symbol paint myself.

of course I enjoy restoring ponies

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 02:24:10 PM »
Ponies tend to have different paths in my collection, usually determined when I get them.

Childhood ponies, gift ponies, and ponies that get associated with particular happy memories stay in the collection, regardless of condition.  If they aren’t in the best condition, I will upgrade, but I keep both.

Ponies that I buy that have no sentimental attachment,  and are in less than acceptable condition, get tossed straight into the trade bin. I don’t even try to bond with them though I will clean them up to truly assess their condition before consigning them to the bin.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 08:14:17 PM »
I do have a few upgrades. Though it doesnt bother me much. I dont mind upgrading once in awhile. I havent it done that in a long time though.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 10:37:08 PM »
I only tend to get upgrades when I know the pony has a plastic ageing issue. Sometimes though I give up on having that character in my collection if the problem seems to be with all of them. I can't cope with Gingerbread or Sweetie (Sweet Stuff), I just kept waiting to find something wrong all the time. Luckily BF helped out with those. Occasionally i choose a different version if several are available, like Italian Trickles and UK Confetti. Plastic ageing is one thing that's hard to spot when you buy and irreversible. Other than that I can usually spot flaws and avoid those that I can't deal with.

I will ignore certain flaws, like earring holes if the pony is rare. I'm happy to have ponies with repairs if they look good. For example, a ragged haircut might become a neat fin. My Sparkle Sky Rocket looks good like this in my opinion. If I add paint or hair I initial the bottom although I never intend to sell, as with my Ember's Dream. Sometimes I use ponywear to hide a flaw, or a completely alternative tail can be fun if the real one is absent. Candy Apple has no hair of her own. She wears a Grooming Parlour bonnet with customised yellow flowers, an alternative pink ribbon and a rainbow tail. I see no reason to replace her since I don't like her original hair much anyway. So I guess a lot depends on the pony.

I do have a couple of carrier bags worth of stuff to sell soon, including some ponies I upgraded. If no-one wants them I will donate them probably. The fun is in collecting for me. I used to break even between buying and sales, but now it doesn't bother me. Like goddessofpeep I have kept some sentimental ponies plus an upgrade if they are important to my collection.

You can see a lot of my ponies here, including some pretty obvious flaws and repairs: https://florencemeade.com/#jp-carousel-1051 Pretty vision has the tip of a ear missing, June Rose is yellowing, Baby Sunbright has had a haircut at some point and took a lot of cleaning and styling to tidy up. I'm fine with the way she looks now. We had some bad haircuts when we were kids! Mirror Mirror is a bit scuffed, but Magic Message ponies are often worse than scuffed. Daisy Sweet's ears have stained yellow I just noticed as well. The same colour also bleeds on Ringlet as well. I don't mind it enough to upgrade.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 10:54:04 PM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 02:52:53 AM »
G1 are pretty easy to sell for the right price if you're just looking to swap. What are the flaws on yours?

I have a ss twilight with decent but yellowed in spots flocking
A ft baby fifi with a huge head/body mismatch
A brush and grow princess star gleamer with thin and discoloured hair
A winger pony fluffy with bad and poorly recoloured hair and possible marker spots
A blueberry baskets  with ink all over her face and some on her body

I also have a baby rainribbon with a huge head/body mismatch

br]Post Merge: October 13, 2022, 02:56:04 AM

Thanks for all your replies. It's great to have some insight.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 04:02:22 AM by kingluke »
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2022, 12:08:30 PM »
I have upgraded ponies not intentionally but I haven't done it with my childhood ponies though.
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 11:18:46 PM »
I’ve gotten in the habit of trying to fix some of my ponies that have annoying flaws, especially if it’s a common pony! That way it makes them one of a kind and more special to me. :)

Some flaws aren’t fixable and really bother me though. I’ve got a Masquarade with a severe head and body mismatch that is really bothering me, but she was one of my first G1 ponies, so I have a sentimental attachment to her. :( I wouldn’t rehome her if I did upgrade, but it would be nice to have a nicer one for my shelf….

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2022, 05:15:18 AM »
I’ve gotten in the habit of trying to fix some of my ponies that have annoying flaws, especially if it’s a common pony! That way it makes them one of a kind and more special to me. :)

Some flaws aren’t fixable and really bother me though. I’ve got a Masquarade with a severe head and body mismatch that is really bothering me, but she was one of my first G1 ponies, so I have a sentimental attachment to her. :( I wouldn’t rehome her if I did upgrade, but it would be nice to have a nicer one for my shelf….

Masquerade is another one I've sadly given up on because of this issue. I think I've had three now. I'm hoping that BF will re-release her. There aren't as many Pegasus in G1 as Earth Ponies and Unicorns and her symbol is so unique.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2022, 11:16:51 AM »
I don’t upgrade in the sense that I get rid of the pony I’m replacing. I have gotten better versions of ponies though. I have a gorgeous Rosedust with the most perfect pink hair and curls. She’s missing her wings but aren’t they all. Rosedust was a childhood pony and of course I kept her.

I guess I think of ponies as unique individuals. I have about 5 Raincurls and they are all different.   

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2022, 04:32:59 AM »
Ugh, this drives me bonkers!! :lmao:

What I plan to do: buy a rough pony, plan to buy an upgrade someday and sell the rougher one.

What actually happens: I buy a rough pony, then someday buy an upgrade and keep them both because I don't want to hurt the rough pony's feelings.

I'm so good at this collecting thing! :lmao:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2022, 02:17:55 AM »
I also upgrade and sell/trade off the worse one. There are enough collectors who are less picky of the flaws. Especially if it's a hard to find pony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal