collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A little bit of advice? UPDATE  (Read 1075 times)

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
A little bit of advice? UPDATE
« on: March 24, 2014, 12:11:29 PM »
So, I was contacted on another forum by someone wanting to sell my absolute (non-pony) grail, but when I went to look at their feedback it is less than stellar. In fact 2 out of 3 posts are neg/neutral. The first one is for backing out on a purchase, the second is for never sending out her end of a trade. The other person was supposed to ship last, so they're not out an item or monies, but still raises a lot of questions. I figure these could just be down to unfortunate circumstances, and I have asked for some more feedback elsewhere, we'll see what they say.

I'm probably bonkers for contemplating sending this person a large sum of money, but I'll admit I'm desperate to get my grail. Desperate.

I'll always be protected by PayPal, right?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:01:30 AM by little.fox »

tinyblondie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: A little bit of advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 12:18:30 PM »
You should be protected by paypal but I would recommend looking into their policies and such a bit more to double check.

What is the item if you dont mind me asking? We may be able to help you find it!

Offline little.fox

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 12:21:31 PM »
It's a Ball Jointed Doll from Soom, The Cheshire Cat!

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 12:23:39 PM »
The only way you will be absolutely protected under Paypal is if you make sure you do not send payment for it as a gift.

I don't know little.fox.  :( The choice is obviously up to you but if red flags are already going up, I would probably not proceed.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline little.fox

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 12:31:21 PM »
No, I'd never dream of sending as gift in this instance.

I know, I'd never recommend anyone else to proceed at this point, but I keep trying to convince myself that nothing can go *that* wrong as long as I pay by PayPal, completely irrational of course!  :lol:

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 12:45:10 PM »
No, I'd never dream of sending as gift in this instance.

I know, I'd never recommend anyone else to proceed at this point, but I keep trying to convince myself that nothing can go *that* wrong as long as I pay by PayPal, completely irrational of course!  :lol:

Well, no, you're covered for sure, but you have to decide if it'll be worth the hassle should something go wrong with it which may be a good chance of given the seller's poor feedback.

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:59:00 PM »
Oooh, the Cheshire!  I love him in purple.
If red flags are going up, I'd be really careful.  Is it someone in Europe or over here? If you end up doing it, make sure to get insurance/tracking.  If you need any help, you know where I am.

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 12:16:55 AM »
If it's an item you're unlikely to find elsewhere, it's something you are *desperate* to get, and you're protected by Paypal, it might be worth the risk.  They came to you, so you'll probably want to be *extra* cautious for a scammer.  A few things to look for:
Are they pushing you for a decision?  If they're pressuring you to make up your mind NOW NOW NOW, it's a bad sign.
Is the deal too good to be true? 
When you ask for pictures of the item, do they send them to you, or do they make excuses(camera's broken, etc)?  Make sure you do a quick google search for images to see if they're taking their own pictures, or using ones they found online.
Also, do their emails to you make sense and have decent grammar and spelling?  It's not an absolute indicator of a problem seller, but I have noticed that it can be a flag when present with other issues.  Also, if you're having a hard time understanding them when things are going right, it's going to make fixing any issues a whole lot harder.

Are you in the same country as the person you're buying from?  If the answer is no, you might want to double check with Paypal that this transaction would be covered before you pay.

Also, pay with a credit card, not a Paypal balance.  If the item never arrives, and you have issues with Paypal refunding your money, you might be able to take it up with your credit card company directly.

If you do buy, make sure you get LOTS of pictures that show the true condition of the item.  And don't skimp on the shipping.  Make sure your seller knows how to pack the item up correctly, and that they send it a secure method.  No media mail/econo-cheap shipping.  I never complain about handling fees for high value items, as long as the item is packed well when I get it.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:19:03 AM by goddessofpeep »

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 04:53:21 AM »
:( This must be a really difficult decision for you :hug:  I know its a grail of grails and not easy to find another, otherwise I would tell you no way would I go through with this... but if you want to risk it, you are protected by Paypal as long as you dont send via gift option as the others mentioned.
 Also thats some very good advice from goddessofpeep - ask yourself all of those questions,  and make sure that before you go through with it that you get plenty *real* photos from the seller. If you agree to buy the item make sure you get shipping with tracking and delivery confirmation.
I'm wishing you all the best sweetie

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline little.fox

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 05:14:21 AM »
Thanks everyone especially Godessofpeep for the very useful advice, and Hannaliten for your kind offer!

I've decided to go ahead, I am just not sure when another Cheshire will come up again with all the options I'm wanting. The seller linked me to her eBay feedback and it was much better than on the forum, so that was a big plus. I have seen several pics of him and all parts that are her own. Communication has been great, she's not been pushy in the least, but very pleasant and reasonable, so I think things will go smoothly! I've taken all your advice and paid with PayPal via my credit card, and the parcel will be insured and tracked.

So hopefully, my doll family will soon be able to welcome a new kitty home!

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 05:25:01 AM »
Littlefox, please be careful (obviously). I don't now much about dolls but I do know their prices are a level above pony prices so to speak so I realize it's about a lot of money.

Is it someone from sweden or the nordic countries, someone the pony community would know or have heard of?
When you say her feedback is so-so, where is that? On ebay or other auction site? On here? some doll forum? Ask her for feedback from more than one place if possible!

If someone has extensively bad feedback I would avoid buying from them for more than one reason. Other than the risk of losing money, the fact that they have hurt other people, collectors, would put me off. But, on the other hand, if they offer your grail I understand it would be hard to resist.

If I decided to give it a try I would probably be open about my concerns with them. Just be honest and talk to her like you talk to the people on here. Like "oh my gosh, thank you for this opportunity to buy my absolute grail :) but obviously it is a little bit complicated to buy from a seller with less than perfect feedback, we need to work this out really carefully so we both can be comfortable with the transaction"

Do you know anything about her use of paypal? Does she have an all new account or has she used it for years?
I think a sneaky seller could empty their account so there is nothing left to take when paypal tries to reverse the payment. Or has that changed? Will paypal refund you out of their own pocket if there is nothing in her account?

edit - I didn't realize you had replied already, anyway good luck, that is good to hear her ebay feedback was better.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:29:24 AM by tootie_tails »
-

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 05:37:45 AM »
Best of luck to you little.fox  :hug:

Hopefully all will end well and if not you have completely covered yourself if it should go awry. Please make sure to show pictures when she arrives!
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline little.fox

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 03:26:42 AM »
Best of luck to you little.fox  :hug:

Hopefully all will end well and if not you have completely covered yourself if it should go awry. Please make sure to show pictures when she arrives!

Thanks very much Ponylady! I'll be sure to update when I have her in hand, and post a piccie of him!

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 05:20:13 AM »
I've decided to go ahead, I am just not sure when another Cheshire will come up again with all the options I'm wanting. The seller linked me to her eBay feedback and it was much better than on the forum, so that was a big plus. I have seen several pics of him and all parts that are her own. Communication has been great, she's not been pushy in the least, but very pleasant and reasonable, so I think things will go smoothly! I've taken all your advice and paid with PayPal via my credit card, and the parcel will be insured and tracked.

I'm late to the discussion, but I was going to say "go for it," and I'm glad you did. After all, the seller has 45 days to get you your doll. And if it doesn't work out, you get all of your money back. Crossing my fingers your doll arrives in great condition! :)

Rosse

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 12:13:11 PM »
I was going to suggest to have them send the doll first, and then you send payment when you get it - considering you have good feedback and they don't. But since you've already gone ahead, I will just wish it works out for you!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal