collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Rawr!

Spike
12 (27.9%)
Fiery
7 (16.3%)
Prickles
7 (16.3%)
Smokey
6 (14%)
Flash
4 (9.3%)
Spiny
4 (9.3%)
Sparks
3 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Who's your favorite Dragon?  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Who's your favorite Dragon?
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 02:58:15 AM »
Well we had fewer ponies than the US, so Hasbro and the comic had to milk what they had. The basis formany of these ideas were the boxes and also the fact file. I have Ruby and Pearl's boxes but the comic took it much further. Naybe LM has some dragon comic story scand uploaded? I think the multi part story I am thinking of was around issue 40. I have a spare of one of those issues so I thinj that is right...
You also had more stories.  The comic was cranking out 26 issues a year and each issue had multiple stories or story parts each.  The second season of the series only had thirteen episodes divided between seven stories (two of which were standalones about the First Tooth Baby ponies and another three were about old characters).  Compare the Season 1's stories were the characters were chosen more for how well they fit the story as individuals and Season 2 where both the Princess ponies and the Big Brother ponies were treated as a set because the two sets were going to get one story each.

Yes. I guess fewer ponies meant more opportunity for expansion, although the UK in the eighties and nineties had a strong pattern for comics surrounding major toy lines so it isn't that surprising. I've said it before, but I hate the characterisation of the princesses in the Quest for the Princess Ponies. And I do love the bushwoolies, but I love them in Sweet Stuff and the Treasure Hunt, when they're the 'treasure'. Even though the name jarred with me, that was one of the episodes from my childhood so I remember them from that more strongly. To me they don't go well with the Princesses for that reason.

The other thing is (aside from using the Spike mould and thus saving money), I think the Princess and Dragon connection half connects to fairy tale tradition and half with British isle mythology. There are some dragonish stories lurking around. The Welsh flag still has a red dragon on it. There are stories about the battle between green and red dragons (England and wales) in the historic past, and our patron saint (who we stole from Europe) allegedly slew a dragon. I think you've mentioned before how there are elements of mythology tied up in pony storylines. This is one of those occasions in my view. The damsel hat and the dragon are very much mediaeval folkore in my mind. But then that's not unknown in the US either, because the Would Be Dragonslayer kind of touches on some of those topics, if I remember right.

Bushwoolies are adorable, but nothing to do with princesses, and so I love them, but not as attendants ;). I wish hasbro had released them as a set on their own and given the princesses dragons (as well as the more elegant gemstone names) in the US as well. I think they'd have been super popular :/ but oh well.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
Re: Who's your favorite Dragon?
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 02:42:28 PM »
Smokey because he's blue.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal