collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Starglow variant?  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Starglow variant?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »
I wonder if Hasbro was considering doing more Starglows in the alternate hair colors of if maybe these slipped through the production line without Hasbro realizing it?  Either way the fact that there are at least two of her is very interesting and I love her alternate hair colors. :)

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 10:49:09 AM »
Love all the variants in the Glow n' Shows!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline CarolSpain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 01:25:56 PM »
I think that some variants are due to the worker didn't have the correct materials and he/she used what was available. Or simply mistakes.
If you have pics of MIB with text in Spanish, please, share with me!

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+122)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Clipper
    • View Profile
    • Clipper's Sail
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 06:50:02 PM »
I wonder if Hasbro was considering doing more Starglows in the alternate hair colors of if maybe these slipped through the production line without Hasbro realizing it?  Either way the fact that there are at least two of her is very interesting and I love her alternate hair colors. :)

Ponyfan

The backcard shows starglow with white and pink hair. So that would be my guess as well. I think that these may have been super early releases, or another thought is that they were intended to be some sort of variant for a specific store (same thought  Goes for the  mysterious lavender woosie, who is another story.. she is indeed a USA release).

Post Merge: August 28, 2017, 06:52:18 PM

Could be mistakes. But I don't think this was. I think it was how she originally was supposed to be released. Some leaked out into stores, and they changed her hair coloring at the last second to make her seem more appealing.

Unfortunatley, I don't have more photos of mine right now. She is packed away in a box, since I moved back in with my mom temporarily.

-clipper
I think that some variants are due to the worker didn't have the correct materials and he/she used what was available. Or simply mistakes.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 06:53:03 PM by Clipper »

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 07:51:28 PM »
The art for these was made well in advance - months, remember these were the days before Photoshop, digital art and easy alterations.  The artwork needed to be physically created, sent off to the printers, plates made, proofs approved, etc.  That takes a lot of time, so I doubt these were 'test runs', especially since one made it into retail packaging. 

More likely someone loaded the wrong hair colour into the machine and ran off a small batch before it was noticed and QC somehow didn't catch them.  Or there was a close to production colour change request and someone mixed up which colour should be changed - looking closely at the backcard, Starglow looks to have Magenta and white hair in the artwork.  So instead of swapping out the white for yellow, magenta got swapped for white?  We'll probably never know for certain.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Clipper
    • View Profile
    • Clipper's Sail
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 08:09:33 PM »
The art for these was made well in advance - months, remember these were the days before Photoshop, digital art and easy alterations.  The artwork needed to be physically created, sent off to the printers, plates made, proofs approved, etc.  That takes a lot of time, so I doubt these were 'test runs', especially since one made it into retail packaging. 

More likely someone loaded the wrong hair colour into the machine and ran off a small batch before it was noticed and QC somehow didn't catch them.  Or there was a close to production colour change request and someone mixed up which colour should be changed - looking closely at the backcard, Starglow looks to have Magenta and white hair in the artwork.  So instead of swapping out the white for yellow, magenta got swapped for white?  We'll probably never know for certain.

that is very possible. The weird thing is, the yellow isn't the same normal yellow in the magenta's hair release. Also the body color is distinctly a different color.
I don't think these were test runs either.. But rather an early release and then they changed the coloring after the first batch.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 08:50:21 PM »

Post Merge: August 28, 2017, 06:52:18 PM

Could be mistakes. But I don't think this was. I think it was how she originally was supposed to be released. Some leaked out into stores, and they changed her hair coloring at the last second to make her seem more appealing.

Unfortunatley, I don't have more photos of mine right now. She is packed away in a box, since I moved back in with my mom temporarily.

-clipper

When I look at her, Star Hopper comes to mind (more of a greenish body, yellow hair). I'm wondering if the Glow 'n Shows & Sparkle Ponies were conceptualized around the same time, even though they were sold a couple years apart. Maybe these were the original colors for Starglow, but then the Sparkle Ponies were conceptualized, the colors were modified for Star Hopper, and Starglow's colors were modified before her release a couple years later. Maybe the original plans for her colors somehow slipped through to a factory, who made a small batch before learning about the modification. This gem here shows that there's some correlation between these two sets which share a similar overall concept:
http://www.mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Sunspot#Prototype_Sunspot

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Clipper
    • View Profile
    • Clipper's Sail
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 10:03:22 PM »
 I actually own that sunspot prototype pony as well.  :biggrin:

I'm assuming that the glow and shows were an idea that was used for the sparkle ponies then scraped and they used the glitter instead.

So your theory is possible. We probably will never know.

There are also atleast 3 known bright glows with alternate colored hair as well. I believe it's orange and purple hair instead of the pink and purple.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 08:48:47 AM »
Wow Clipper, you sure do have some interesting variants/prototypes! Those ponies fascinate me

Offline CarolSpain

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 10:28:10 AM »
I actually own that sunspot prototype pony as well.  :biggrin:

Really??? I'm totally in love with her.

I have the theory of a second/alternate release with blue hearts.
If you have pics of MIB with text in Spanish, please, share with me!

Offline shelti

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+1687)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 06:08:24 PM »
Always nice to confirm a new variant, or an old one.
I love all the Glow n Show variants but I have to say dazzle glow is my all time favorite.
All the color range variations and the blue mane. 
I think I have seen more with the blue mane then the Aqua.

Shel-t* Ponies

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2017, 12:21:30 AM »
Those are lovely ponies shelti! I love the hot pink girl second from the left!  :biggrin:

And the flowers in their hair look amazing - how did you attach them?

Offline shelti

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+1687)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 07:23:53 AM »
Those are lovely ponies shelti! I love the hot pink girl second from the left!  :biggrin:

The flowers have small wires but if I told how I attach them I would have to hold you hostage so you would not tell anyone else   :missy:
Shel-t* Ponies

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 08:12:27 AM »

The flowers have small wires but if I told how I attach them I would have to hold you hostage so you would not tell anyone else   :missy:

:rofl:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 05:41:01 PM »
Always nice to confirm a new variant, or an old one.
I love all the Glow n Show variants but I have to say dazzle glow is my all time favorite.
All the color range variations and the blue mane. 
I think I have seen more with the blue mane then the Aqua.

:ack: :dropjaw:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal