collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4.5 or G5?  (Read 6756 times)

Offline NsMLPonies

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • NsDollyCouture
G4.5 or G5?
« on: July 22, 2017, 08:49:38 AM »
Hi! :)

Are the new My little ponies considered to be G4.5 or G5? Just wondering.
Also, does anyone have pics of the new ponies?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:17:30 AM by Mirnyj »
COMMISSIONS PERMANENTLY CLOSED

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G4.5 or G5?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 09:11:40 AM »
I wouldn't call them either of those, the change isn't that dramatic.

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 09:30:01 AM »
I wouldn't call them either of those, the change isn't that dramatic.

I completely agree; I don't know why some people are making such a big deal out of the new molds.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 09:53:29 AM »
Certainly not G5, as they're the same characters and it's not a major change.

I've been calling them G4.5, to make it easier for me when referring to the new molds. I mean I could call them "the new molds" but of course they're only going to be new for so long, when they've been out for a while (or whenever we do get a G5), you wouldn't really be able to call them "new" anymore, so I think it's convenient to have the G4.5 term.

While this mold change is nowhere near as drastic as the change from G3 to G3.5, I still think G4.5 is a good term for it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 11:29:37 AM »
I've been saying "G4 reboot" or "G4.5". Calling them G5 makes no sense, they're the same characters and still basically the same style (heck I'm still on the fence whether or not I think they're different enough to be called "G4.5")... imo they're not a different gen unless they look dramatically different. If that makes sense.

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 12:08:43 PM »
I call the new molds G4.5 because like G3.5, stores are just selling the new mold toys (correct me if I'm wrong - the stores near me are only selling G4.5 now). Also like G3.5, it's the same characters, just different molds :)

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 12:13:53 PM »
Neither. It's not drastic enough for that. Though some people are calling them reboot moulds.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 02:29:26 PM »
G4 Reboot or G4.5 or G4 Movie Version... I really haven't been calling them anything lol but they are not G5 due to the face it's still in the FiM realm..

G3.5 was technically a reboot if you think about it.. new molds but pretty much the same cast.. and yes they were a big change in the molds.

With the FiM ponies it's new molds but same cast.. Some say it's not a drastic enough change but it's still a change. Even the heads were remolded, they didn't use any of the old molds for these.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 02:35:31 PM by sd_dreamcrystal »
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 02:38:15 PM »
Well someone pointed out that G1 had some drastic design changes in the SHS and Dream Beauties and they didn't get called G1.5. I agree with them, so  that's why I personally don't call them that.

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 03:05:58 PM »
Hmm, even though G1 had drastic changes with SHS and Dream Beauties, regular G1s were still being sold when SHS and all the other differently molded sets were out, so G1 hadn't really gone into G1.5. On the other hand, only the new molds are being made and sold now (correct me if I'm wrong, my local stores are only selling the new toys), so it's like G3.5, when they altogether stopped the G3 molds and we were into a new gen. Do we know if Hasbro will go back to the old molds after the movie? Because if the do, G4 will resume, and having a generation inside a generation doesn't make sense  ^.^

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 03:20:48 PM »
That's also a compelling point Safflower.  I'm not sure if they're replacing the old ones or not.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 04:48:22 PM »
Actually, SHS were still in the same style as normal G1s so they would not really fall into the .5 range

Dream Beauties were not actually MLPs, granted they were probably marketed as kind of as such but I feel they were trying to compete with realistic horse toys

I do think the reboot G4 molds are replacing the old ones, it makes no sense for Hasbro to make so many newer released then just go back to the old molds after a year.

Also I guess I rescind what I said before because the reboots are close to the same style as the older G4s but still reboots.

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
It would be a little awkward if there were a second "reboot"...Would we call it G4.75? :P

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 05:24:26 PM »
It would be a little awkward if there were a second "reboot"...Would we call it G4.75? :P
If they did another reboot I would call it MLP redonkulous XD

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 05:46:11 PM »
If they did another reboot I would call it MLP redonkulous XD

This is some thing to think about. And wouldn't the same argument for calling it "new" also apply to calling it "reboot"?  Every redesign is a "reboot".  Unless in later generations it is always qualified with the G4 moniker, I.e.  The G4 reboot.    But in that case G4.5 is just faster type.  That may be the deciding factor in the end.

Also, some people are saying this isn't G5 because it's the same cast.  But Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Bright, TMNT, etc, all have multiple "generations" but the same cast.   And I suspect that Hasbro is not going to let go of this cast even when G5 does come around.

Don't get me wrong, this is clearly not G5 if only because FIM has become such a driving force behind this generation that I can't see labeling anything as g5 until FIM is over.

So I guess my criteria for labeling something G5 would be a whole line redesign that happens after FiM is over.

Edited to add additional thoughts****

I also think there is a difference between this redesign and the Sweetheart Sisters (Dream Beauties were a whole nother line).   A:  SHS were marketed as teenage ponies not redesigned adult ponies.  B: Hasbro conveniently gave them their own label we could call them by and C: non of the SHS were rereleases of old characters.  If I want a specific SHS, I can just refer to her by name.

With this current redesign, if I come on the board and say I'm looking to purchase a specific Fluttershy then I have to go through a whole list of descriptors to make sure I get the one I want.

I don't know what the solution is.  Maybe just use pose names?  But then we all have to agree on pose names.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 06:09:16 PM by Sunset »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal