collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Water Living Ponies in the Movie confirmed-- what are they?  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Water Living Ponies in the Movie confirmed-- what are they?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 04:34:33 PM »
Yea I have to agree these are not sea ponies at all.  I understand why they would use that term. I agree though that the Mermaid pony thing makes more sense to me based on how they look, but that might be harder to say I guess. I don't know.  I just kind of ignore G4 so, I had not really given this a lot of thought.  I mean I want the G1 sea ponies to be released and this line worries me I am  never going to see that.  :pout:

*Hi-fives*
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline WaterRaven

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2017, 12:40:12 AM »
I'm really enjoying everyone's perspective on this. I get that they went with sea pony because it would be easiest to say and with MLPs past with sea ponies, but as a G1 gal, I do get a bit of an eye twitch when I see a pony that looks like a a merpony, but is called a sea pony. I got used to merpony instead of hippocampus originally though (I love mythology, but for the sake of the toys, went with hasbro's merpony term), so I'll get used to the new sea pony, but out of fun, I feel like drawing a ton of different sea pones and coming up with different looks and body types and labeling them :D

It's interesting, I always considered sea ponies to be like sea horses, thus no legs and figured merponies were the MLP version of a hippocampus etc, but after multiple generations, various publications (comics and books), seven seasons of the current gen, pink and yellow people in Equestria girls, and now the movie... I give up :)

I'll just roll with it.

Thanks so much for the input and replies guys!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2017, 06:20:08 AM »
I'm really enjoying everyone's perspective on this. I get that they went with sea pony because it would be easiest to say and with MLPs past with sea ponies, but as a G1 gal, I do get a bit of an eye twitch when I see a pony that looks like a a merpony, but is called a sea pony. I got used to merpony instead of hippocampus originally though (I love mythology, but for the sake of the toys, went with hasbro's merpony term), so I'll get used to the new sea pony, but out of fun, I feel like drawing a ton of different sea pones and coming up with different looks and body types and labeling them :D

It's interesting, I always considered sea ponies to be like sea horses, thus no legs and figured merponies were the MLP version of a hippocampus etc, but after multiple generations, various publications (comics and books), seven seasons of the current gen, pink and yellow people in Equestria girls, and now the movie... I give up :)

I'll just roll with it.

*Hands Water Raven fakie cannon to aim at Hasbro* :throw:

Offline WaterRaven

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2017, 10:43:45 AM »

I'll just roll with it.

*Hands Water Raven fakie cannon to aim at Hasbro* :throw:

LoL! That was perfect!  :frolic:

Offline Firehooves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 03:03:43 PM »
They are supposed to be G4 sea ponies, but they look nothing like the ones presented in the book 'under the sparkling sea'.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline WaterRaven

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 12:02:16 AM »
They are supposed to be G4 sea ponies, but they look nothing like the ones presented in the book 'under the sparkling sea'.

It took me a while to get used to the G4 look in terms of the cartoon and the toys, but now I like them both, so I'll get used to this is too I guess, but I think a lot of us had our hopes up for that classic sea pony look. I have Under the Sparkling Sea on my list to buy because the images I've seen from the book are so beautiful, so I'm surprised they didn't go with that look either, but oh well.

Thanks for responding :)

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2017, 06:01:58 AM »
I'm going with the official name on this one. I sort of get where people are coming from, but g3 and g4 breezies are different, but they're both breezies. G4 mini sets are technically not Blind Bags, but we call the individual ponies that rather than 'ponyvilles', which if we were going by past gens, that's what we'd call them. Look at the G3 Sparkle ponies, we don't call them that, even though they are made exactly the same way, they're Divine Shines. Ponyland is confusing, but we go with it, and it usually ends up easier calling them by the official names, for the sake of uniformity. I'm guessing mermares may have been ditched if there were male ponies in the movie? Someone has pointed out that mermares doesn't actually work, and and they've slapped the next best thing on: Seaponies. But in the end, that's what we got, and I'm okay with it. It might be easier to take once you watch the movie and hear them called seaponies a few gazillion times?
Well Merpony isn't gender-specific so they should've gone with that. Part of the reason I think we call things differently is because there's nothing else to associate them with. Sea ponies we do as evidenced with G1. At least with G4 breezies the resemblence to G3 Breezies is there. There's no resemblence to G1 seaponies with FiM sea ponies. Seems like they took the name literally and just said "hey, ponies that live in the sea" = seaponies."

Offline WaterRaven

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 10:43:31 PM »
Saw this on Deviantart. Had to share it ^_^

By C-Puff

Whatever they're called, I still love ponies!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 01:47:23 PM »
Saw this on Deviantart. Had to share it ^_^

By C-Puff

Whatever they're called, I still love ponies!

Perfect!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal