collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Public Service Announcements: things to avoid doing to your G1\'s  (Read 315 times)

Offline rosietrot

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Made it.
    • View Profile
    • RosieTrot's Pony Spot
Everyone has had that "I wish I hadn't done that" moment when caring for a G1.  Something that has worked before suddenly became a problem once another factor was involved or an unexpected problem with a particular pony. I'm hoping that this turns into a resource, not a random disaster story telling thread, for example:

Instead of "one time I dropped my pony in the blender!"
Put stories like "tinsel is more sensitive than regular hair and can only withstand X° temperatures".

In order to help each other avoid these specific pitfalls, share your experiences here, with a big simple warning telling us what to avoid (TINSEL MELTS AT X°) followed by a description of what went wrong.  We may save each other ponies and frustration by sharing our honest mistakes.

Post Merge: February 16, 2014, 02:39:54 AM

CLR CAUSES NEON HAIR TO BLEED

So, I was using CLR to clean the rust off of a tail and I've never had trouble with it before. It's a heavy-duty cleaner for rust, Lime, and Calcium found at most stores. It dries the hair out immediately after use but after you condition it, it's fine.

BUT THEN:

I used it on Caramel Crunch's tail.  She had that neon hair that sometimes bleeds into the vinyl but that didn't happen since I had removed the task for cleaning but it did bleed on the white hair around it and totally ruined it.  So, it wasn't CLR, I don't think, since I used it on my Sugar Sweet with no obvious bleed but need careful cleaning this neon hair. Not sure if it would happen with other cleaners but:

NEON AND CLR DON'T MIX

[moving to Corral - kkat]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 06:34:41 PM by rosietrot »
Trades!<---some trades, sales and want list, as posted on the arena
Store!<---The "Official" Store (or as official as it gets...also all tradable!)
Want List!<---Stuff I'm looking for
ME! <--- and if you want to know who I am, a picture from my blog

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G1 PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENTS: things to avoid doing to your G1\'s
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 05:37:16 AM »
http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/  You might find this helpful. 

Also, CLR is pretty heavy duty.  Toothpaste, baking soda (mixed into a paste with water) or even a Magic Eraser work very well on rust.
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
Re: G1 Public Service Announcements: things to avoid doing to your G1\'s
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 02:04:26 PM »
Love that site Cookhuman one of the best ones around.  We also have loads of folks here who post all kinds of great threads on how to.  So the best thing to do is just use the search before trying something and you shall find someone who has used it. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 02:23:57 PM »
I have a tiny jar I keep of CLR for VERY badly rust stained tails, and I take all the metal off and use a ziptie, then soak for a few days, but not too long.  Leave them in there too long and they turn faint GREEN!  Especially with pink or white - be careful and check everyday with those two colors!  However they did restore a bit of fading pink to my dingy white haired ponies so....

Piece of Advice #2:  Buy a flat-iron if you don't have one already and plan to deal with secondhand ponies or damaged hair.  Probably don't share your personal one/s with the ponies, as you're using totally different styling products.  I am also going to say, the better ones are the more expensive kind, though you can find them for $40 and up...  Go ceramic or better...
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 03:23:14 PM »
Dream Beauty paint comes off with rubbing alcohol!

I don't know if this is true for all of them, but certainly for the one's I've had. The one I learned this on fortunately was already in terrible condition, so I didn't make it any worse, but it still surprised me since alcohol usually is safe on ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal