collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Owning more than one plush of a character?  (Read 989 times)

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
Owning more than one plush of a character?
« on: November 05, 2013, 08:30:20 AM »
So I know there's people who love to buy more than one figure of a character (and when they're in different lines, like Playful and Fashion Style, it makes perfect sense to me). But what about plushies, which are generally more expensive and certainly take up more room than figures? (And which sentimental fools like me consider "buddies" more than figures.)

I have the greatest struggle getting past what I feel is the illogic of owning more than one plushie of a character, even if the plushies are different. I have one of the old talking Twilights and I love her so much. But since Twilight is my favorite, I've sort of entertained the thought of a Build-A-Bear version too. But then I didn't feel the Build-A-Bear version was really that much different in size (she seemed bigger the first time I saw her as opposed to the second time). And the issues I had with finding messed-up tails on every single one available, as described in another post, didn't help my opinion any.

I think I still kind of want the Build-A-Bear version, but since the brushable hair is just about the main attraction to me, I don't like having to resort to getting one with a tangled tail and glue stuck in it. Aside from that problem, though, I still have to battle my own doubts and dislikes of owning two of the same character. And I suppose I wish the price was a little cheaper, even though I guess $25 is pretty good for a plush of that size.

If it was Luna, or another character I didn't have that I wanted, I don't think even the screwy tail would have stopped me. Which means it's this other hang-up that's really stopping me.

So, does anyone else have the issue of owning more than one plush of a character? And have you wanted and tried to get past that? How?

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Owning more than one plush of a character?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 08:47:56 AM »
I have more than one Twilight Sparkle.  I have the Funrise Plushie version of her, which is surprisingly cuddly!  I know the Funrise hair bugs some people, but I actually think it is quite cute.  I also have the Build a Bear one (with her outfit!) and I just love her.  She is so soft, and I love the outfit, and she looks a lot like Twilight in the show.  Plus the wings are pretty!

I don't mind having more than one plush of a character.  I'm obsessed with plushies, though  ;)
Honestly, I'd buy a million Applejacks!  Right now I only have one, but that is just because I have only seen an Aurora Applejack at the store. 

I guess I could see how having more than one of a character could bug somebody, though.  I'm just of the mindset that if it is a plushie, I want it :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 09:25:10 AM »
I have the Funrise plushies of everyone except Twilight, again since I was quite happy with my talking Twilight. The Funrise ones are definitely soft and cuddly! :) I'm looking forward to getting Celestia and Cadance.

I do definitely love the Build-A-Bear Twilight's expression! She looks so much like Twilight on the show, and her hair is so gorgeous.

If I took a picture of my plushie collection, I think most people's jaws would drop. LOL. I've collected plushies since I was born, practically, and I also have most of my brother's plushies in my collection. :) These days, I mostly only buy plushies of specific characters, and of fish and cats (my favorite animals), but good grief, I have a ton of beautiful plushies. I keep them all on the spare bed in my room, and they ... kind of overflow it like whoa.

So yes, I am obsessed with plushies too. :) Just not of having more than one of any particular character. Although sometimes I wish I could get over that at least a little bit!

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 11:07:22 AM »
I've never had a problem with collecting multiple character plushies. In fact, I have a problem with trying not to want every plush toy that comes out... :blush: I had what seemed like billions of soft toys when I was a child and collected more and more every time I went out anywhere, but gradually downsized the huge collection as I grew up to just my absolute favourites. I'm a bit tight on space these days so I have to think hard about what plushies and what sizes I'll allow myself to get. But every toy that I have gets a name and some kind of identity, so once I have them in my possession, it's difficult to let go of them once again.

For G4 purposes, I'm forcing myself to only collect the 4DE, BaB and FuRyu plush. They're all different enough that it looks nice to have them set up as a variety and I don't feel like I've got doubles or exact matches. Sculpted manes and double cutie marks for the 4DE, hair strand manes and clothing for the BaB, and little fluffy fabric manes for the Furyu. Initially I was only going to have 4DE for show accuracy and BaB for brushable/dress up fun, but the Japanese plush wormed their way into my heart too. They come in two sizes but both are TINY at just 4" and 5.5". One set of the mane six, either size, easily fits inside of a shoe box. So I can justify the small space allowance.

For you, it seems like a matter of quality. The mucky manes and tails sound like a real deal breaker. Maybe if you just keep the thought in the back of your mind, it'll eventually fade away. And if it doesn't, the rumour is that BaB will try to have all four ponies in stock over the holidays, so perhaps your local one will reset and have better quality Twilights by the time you make up your mind?

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 11:11:49 AM »
i have a plush of my oc character, hoping to get another one in a swap, and have a design to make him again. if you like a pony, why not let them take over. as long as it's with in your budget, i think it's fun to have a variety of different plushes of one pony.
having multiple of the same plush. not so much a fan, but different? yes.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 11:22:37 AM »
*hides her 9 Rainbow Dash plushies* :blush:

Actually the BAB RD is the only plushie I don't have, because it looks really very similar to the Ty Rainbow Dash and I don't want any that look too identical.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Tirac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 12:07:38 PM »
I bond emotionally to my toys. I actually sometimes have this problem with just regular ponies. I don't really like displaying my Movie version Firefly and my original version Firefly in the same area because of this.
What I have done is sort of give my duplicates their own separate identity.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 06:30:43 PM »
I only pick up the occasional one which I really like, so I don't tend to encounter this problem too much.

However, I kind of see it in line with regular ponies. I have all the regular release versions of Bow Tie and a handful of her nirvana versions. This makes sense to me as they are all different releases. So I can see how the same would be true for plush. Sure they are the same pony but they are different interpretations/releases of her :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 07:15:37 PM »
I own the TY Twilight and the BAB one. I know TY are releasing an Alicorn Twi as well but I'm unsure if I'll pick her up. I don't mind having a double or two if I really love the character. I have BAB Rainbow and I plan to get Fluttershy and the princesses if they make them, but I don't think I would get the BAB plushes of the other mane six. I just don't have the space or money =P The plushes are different enough for me to appreciate both of them, and I plan to hopefully get the 4DE or Aurora Twi plushes, but I doubt I'd get the Funrise ones as I really hate the way they make their manes.
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 08:11:18 PM »
I have all kinds of plushies and more on the way in the mail! :D They hang out in the space between my wall and bed, the bigger ones on bottom and larger ones sitting on top of the bigger ones or in their lap! They dont take up too much space that way, plus they are excellent pillows! As you can see, I have a bunch of Twilight Sparkle, Pinkies, and Rainbow Dashes!

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 09:47:57 PM »
What did ya just said?

Illogic? :D

I have no idea what that means =)

Seriously I like them cuz they are all different - also from different countries. Yes it's always Pinkie Pie but she's never be the same Pinkie Pie :D
BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

Offline disturbed-rainbow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I love toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 10:48:07 PM »
Lol yes I. Do, especially pinkie pie.

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 11:12:35 PM »
Why don't you make an outfit for the second Twilight and have future Twilight  :biggrin: Now there is a reason for two of her in one place  :P

or it could just be changelings...

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 11:51:10 PM »
Ha, I have that hang-up with MH dolls. I try to convince myself I don't need a second version of that doll.... most of the time this logic works ;)  plushies are a different ball game for me. I love having multiple plush of the same character (I like to snuggle them while relaxing, gaming etc, and if I have multiples to rotate then none of them get too mauled) I especially want to build up a Fluttershy plush army. I can't wait for the 4DE and BAB Fluttershy plushies!

Offline Anitas_Mom

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 12:35:15 AM »
I think I have every Rainbow Dash plushie I've ever seen!!  Why not?

Handmade Plushies For Sale | Please PM me for Commission Information

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal