collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it too late for me to start collecting G1s?  (Read 957 times)

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
Is it too late for me to start collecting G1s?
« on: November 05, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »
I can't seem to find them anywhere.. And online they seem really expensive. I checked second hand shops and haven't found any My Little Pony things except fakies and a weird talking pinkie pie. 

I need tips me thinks. Where should I start looking?

I'm in Australia. Dunno about America but it seems you get the upper hand with ponies.

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Is it too late for me to start collecting G1s?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 02:19:14 PM »
Hello!  It's not too late at all.  I'm not sure where you've been looking, but I'd start by looking at the sales board here.  You may find some Australia sellers, which would cut down on your shipping costs.  You could also post a Want List to the Wanted board, and again you could specify that you would like to hear from Australia sellers if shipping costs are a problem.

G1s overall are quite inexpensive as a collectible.  Even G1s in very good condition often sell for $5 or less.  I'd check out eBay.  If you just want to keep things basic at first (in other words, you aren't going after the more sought-after ponies), you should be able to find lots of inexpensive options.

In my opinion I'd just start with a few ponies that catch your eye or a particular set.  There's no need to rush into a big collection.  I have a small collection (my permanent collection is only fifteen ponies after collecting since 1998!) and it's fun to enjoy a handful of favorites.

Best of luck!
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline Henpatch

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 02:26:03 PM »
You are right! It is hard here in Australia to find ponies in second hand shops!
Yes....it is so much easier in USA etc.

HOWEVER....it is not too late or too hopeless!

If you have a local paper (there are often freebies.....eg the Advertiser in Ipswich -SE QLd.....you could put a small "Wanted" notice in.....even on a Notice board at the local shopping mall "wanted My Little Ponies from the 80s" and then of course there is always Gum Tree, Ebay etc.....often easier to buy a "Lot" and learn how to clean and smarted up ponies.

Arena too is full of wonderful not-too-expensive G1 ponies - just postage gets a little bit of a problem.

Start small and you will grow large!!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my lovely Jumble pony

Offline Spike

• Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »
Hello!  It's not too late at all.  I'm not sure where you've been looking, but I'd start by looking at the sales board here.  You may find some Australia sellers, which would cut down on your shipping costs.  You could also post a Want List to the Wanted board, and again you could specify that you would like to hear from Australia sellers if shipping costs are a problem.

G1s overall are quite inexpensive as a collectible.  Even G1s in very good condition often sell for $5 or less.  I'd check out eBay.  If you just want to keep things basic at first (in other words, you aren't going after the more sought-after ponies), you should be able to find lots of inexpensive options.

In my opinion I'd just start with a few ponies that catch your eye or a particular set.  There's no need to rush into a big collection.  I have a small collection (my permanent collection is only fifteen ponies after collecting since 1998!) and it's fun to enjoy a handful of favorites.

Best of luck!

I only really want to collect about 10 G1's. I know people have hundreds! But 10 would be fine for me. Not sure on prices but I've always wanted a G1 Applejack.. I shall make a board soon! My eyes are sore and I need more sleep!

I guess I'll give the list of my 10 favorites before I go :)

Tulip
Applejack
Firefly
Half Note
Lickety Split
Minty
Skydancer
Starshine
Twilight
Dainty

Ugh I love them.

Post Merge: November 05, 2012, 02:40:30 PM

You are right! It is hard here in Australia to find ponies in second hand shops!
Yes....it is so much easier in USA etc.

HOWEVER....it is not too late or too hopeless!

If you have a local paper (there are often freebies.....eg the Advertiser in Ipswich -SE QLd.....you could put a small "Wanted" notice in.....even on a Notice board at the local shopping mall "wanted My Little Ponies from the 80s" and then of course there is always Gum Tree, Ebay etc.....often easier to buy a "Lot" and learn how to clean and smarted up ponies.

Arena too is full of wonderful not-too-expensive G1 ponies - just postage gets a little bit of a problem.

Start small and you will grow large!!!

I'm probably an hour away from Ipswich! So I shall put an ad on the gumtree and trading post also buy an ad for the newspaper... Wynnum Herald.. Sunday mail etc.. Hopefully I can get my first G1 by the end of the year. My G3 and G4 collection is growing really big you're right about the start small bit! I started with a Fluttershy and thought that was it for G4 and now I have ended up with 50 G4 ponies in the past 4 months and still growing..
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 02:40:30 PM by Spike »

Offline Henpatch

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 03:05:49 PM »
Well done!!
You are certainly on the way!
Good luck with your collection!
(Bet you can't stop at just 10  :happy:)

Thank you SDS for my lovely Jumble pony

Offline hokuspokus

• Undiscovered 8th pony in the 7TALES series
  • Trade Count: (+108)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 03:08:15 PM »
It's never too late ;)

I'm crossing Ebay, fleamarkets & forums to find ponies for the perfect prices. I do not like to overpay ;)
And i'm still doing good finding ponies for cheap prices.

I think your magic word is patience. Lots of people want a specific pony right away and yea, you'll end up paying the upper price if you're like that. It's possible to get cheap deals on Ebay, believe me. For me it's like a sport: i always try to find a specific pony for the cheapest price. Don't we all like the good and cheap deals the most?! ;)

So my suggestion for you would be: keep looking eventhough it looks like everything is priced so high. Your luck will definitely come! If you find ponies you don't like, take them with you and maybe do a trade for the ones you dó like. Look on different Ebay's: not only Australia, but try our European ones! You might spot something good (although we are sometimes high in shipping).

Good luck! I'm always happy to help someone looking, so feel free to PM me if you like

Little edit:
I'm in Australia. Dunno about America but it seems you get the upper hand with ponies.

No, no and no, dear. :) I'm not in America (not even close :P) and i'm doing pretty good.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 03:12:35 PM by hokuspokus »

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 03:08:54 PM »
Its never to late to start to collect them! Keep an eye out on ebay and on here. There are members that have some good deal on G1's.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 03:14:09 PM »
It's never too late!  :D  There are MILLIONS of ponies!  I bet you'll be able to find the ones you're looking for from other Australian collectors in short order. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline plum

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 03:47:28 PM »
Too late ? No not at all. I would look to buy "lots" that usually keeps the price down. You can always sell on or swap any unwanted ponies (or, like me, end up keeping them all). :lol:
Don't be afraid to upgrade too if you have a not so good specimen. That way you can build up your collection quite quickly to begin with.
What are you waiting for ...? :frolic: Best of luck :glitter:

Offline windsong

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 04:03:08 PM »
There's lots of sellers on the Arena that are willing to ship to Australia. I do, although I don't have many G1's to offer. Have you tried Etsy? There's a decent amount of G1's listed on there. I don't know how many ship to you, but it could be worth a shot. :)

Here's a link to vintage MLP for sale on Etsy that ships to Australia: http://www.etsy.com/search/vintage?q=my+little+pony&view_type=gallery&ship_to=AU

~ My Etsy Shop ~ Arena Sales ~ Wants ~ My Book Blog ~ TY Badjuju86 4 avatar  :heart:

Offline Spike

• Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 06:46:12 PM »
Oooh. I found one that's like 6 dollars and postage is only about 5 dollars. I think I'll purchase it if it's still there when I get paid Friday! I think that's a good price mmm!

Thanks guys for showing me Etsy. It seems some of it is fair!

Post Merge: November 05, 2012, 08:21:57 PM

Someone actually had my favorite pony Dainty on Ebay so I bought it LOL

Post Merge: November 05, 2012, 08:35:18 PM

There's really good bargains on Etsy! Ponies for $10 is a good price for me. Jeez I bought Vinyl Scratch for $20 and that's a G4. So I think this is going to be great. Again, thanks so much guys! I can't wait to get Dainty. I'm really really excited right now.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:35:18 PM by Spike »

Betelgeuse

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 10:18:22 PM »
I thought that was the case too. But lone and behold if 20 G1s didn't show up at a local thrift store. You just need to keep your eyes peeled and check everywhere for them. Also, I like your favorite ponies list. :)

Offline silverdragon54

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 10:49:25 PM »
I'm a late-comer to G1 myself. I never had My Little Ponies as a kid, and so far I've only wanted G4s, but G1s are really starting to grow on me and I blame every one of you on this forum. I hope you're all happy. :silly:

My local flea market has a great vintage toy guy and he's got a great big tub full of old ponies. And one headless Dancing Butterflies. :yikes:
Will make custom plushie for MIB Fashion Style Applejack. PM for details!

See my pony art here!
My items for trade
My wanted list
My plushies!, Handmade plushies for sale!

singpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 10:59:57 PM »
I have lots of early G1s for sale as I'm downsizing my herd. I have not updated my website with the latest batch of ponies for sale but i can PM you the list and their photos. Their conditions range from good to fair. I would ideally like to pass my herd to another collector in lots according to their sets than to sell individually.

I live in Singapore. PM me if you are interested to takeover my collection. Price will be negotiable for bulk purchase, thanks! ;-)

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 03:40:51 AM »
Honestly I have found it really hard to find G1s in thrift stores too. eBay Australia prices seem to be a tad inflated than normal, and it actually is cheaper in terms of postage prices to ship in from places like the UK and USA than inside Australia! Though I like to try and support our local sellers where I can.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal