collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lets talk about Silica packs and storage  (Read 522 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Lets talk about Silica packs and storage
« on: September 08, 2012, 01:58:08 PM »
Alrighty, I vaguely asked about this a few weeks ago, but not exactly so here I go!

I keep my ponies in storage tubs and wrapped in tissue paper. I'm switching to having my wrapped ponies in the box in bags, mostly to keep labels and ponies sorted. I have some Silica packs, but I have a few issues from reading what others have said. Here are my questions.

1) Where do you buy yours at? I noticed most said they cannot hold a great deal of moisture. I ordered some off ebay, but they came in a sandwich bag that was open. I'm assuming they have been exposed to the elements a bit long to be useful? Where I can get them or even off Ebay from which seller to get some that are useful.

2) How do you tell when they have reached max absorbancy? How often do you replace them?  What I intend to do is have say all my Cool Breeze wingers in one bag so only a few ponies per bag. How often would you change that out?

Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
Re: Lets talk about Silica packs and storage
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »
I stored my ponies in plastic bags and a few came out of storage discolored. Hole punch the bags so that the ponies can still breathe so to speak. Otherwise I want to know this too. Stalking this thread :)

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 02:01:39 PM »
My boyfriend works for QVC, so he would take them from there for me. XD

I just toss them in my box and away the ponies go!
And that is the extent of my knowledge.
Stalking this thread as well.
/sits back with popcorn
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »
I stored my ponies in plastic bags and a few came out of storage discolored. Hole punch the bags so that the ponies can still breathe so to speak. Otherwise I want to know this too. Stalking this thread :)

I'm keeping the corners open. They are those bags with the little zipper like things to lock them in. I shouldn't have an issue I don't believe. Also I tend to take them out on a regular bases to check on them or rearrange. We also keep the house pretty cold. I just want to moisture control the best I can. ;)

-slowly takes some of Ivan's popcorn-

Now we play the waiting game.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline MercuryStar

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Merow?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 02:31:20 PM »
There are indicator type silica packs out there, that change color when they are no good anymore.  You can also get indicator cards, which you could put with the non-color changing packets.   Unused silica packets can be found online, Amazon sells some, plus I found a few online suppliers that sell in bulk.   

We kill the lights and put on a show/It's all a lie/But you'd never know
The star will shine/And then it will fall/And you will forget it all

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 02:41:43 PM »
Has anyone tried space bags? The commercials say they keep mold, dirt, and bugs out. Could the two be combined?
Silica bags in air tight storage?

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 03:06:35 PM »
-Willingly shares :D -

I was thinking the ones we got may not be that great just because the packaging was kinda.... falling apart. Haha. But, use whatcha got!
I have never tried Space Bags or whatever, but they look  AWESOME. I love infomercials like those.

I miss Billy Mays.

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

Offline LilAlleyCat

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 03:22:50 PM »
I wouldn't do the switch to bags if I were you. I have heard too many horror stories over the years. Too many issues to contend with...moisture, beatheability, heat build up, symbols sticking/peeling off on bags, etc. I have NEVER heard a horror story from anyone using the archival tissue paper method. It's the method I have used myself for years, in very extreme conditions, with no problems. I've had to store and transport our collection of over 1000 ponies several times in the last 14 years.

I don't know enough to comment on the silica packets. Never used them.

#1 best storage advice I have is temperature control, no sunlight and air circulation. Even high moisture environments can be dealt with if the other factors are in control. This is just my personal experience but I have had perfect results so far. I'm sure there are a few variations of storage others can add to the thread!

Oh and Mercury Star...are you saying hi to me in your siggy? LOL!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:24:31 PM by LilAlleyCat »

~Single handedly increasing the value of your MOC/MIB collection by opening mine!~

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 04:03:03 PM »
I agree with Lil Alley Cat - if they are in tissue paper keep them in tissue paper its a much much better option than plastic bags. If for your own reason you prefer to use bags then make sure they are breathable and either have holes in them or are unsealed and be cautious as plastic in plastic is seldom a great combination. Also I would advise against storing multiple ponies together - any colour of plastic can leak and stain another pony beside it, especially if the plastic sweats, additionally pony plastic can "stick" to each other and the colour can stain other ponies too.

I buy silica packs from a couple of online packing companies - you ll find plenty of these via google - search for silica gel sachets and you should be fine.

Most silica gel absorbs around 30-40 percent of its weight in moisture so a good if not always completely effective way to test packs is to weigh them before they are in position and then occasionally throughout storage - when they weigh 30-40 percent more than their weight when you first put them in then they are "done". There is no way to say how long they will last as it depends on the environment where they are stores. A silica sachet in a cold, damp country will use itself out quicker than a silica pack being used in a warm, dry climate.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 04:27:52 PM »
Silica can hold 40% of its weight in water. Its quite a bit actually. I use the silica sold for flower preservation and actually fill many of my ponies with about 2T of it. I have stuff that has color indicator when it absorbs enough moisture. Stuff I've had in packets seems to turn yellowish. You can bake saturated silica beads on a cookie sheet at 250F for 2 hours and it will be ready to use again.

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 04:39:22 PM »
Very interesting, I will keep this all in mind. Anyone have a good suggestion of where good archival tissue paper can be bought? Also, are plastic bins okay to use?
~Foxtale~

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 04:53:42 PM »
Packing companies and preservation companies tend to stock acid free tissue paper but you can also find it on sites like amazon.

As long as the box is also "breathable" and the ponies are in their tissue paper then plastic storage bins should be fine. It sounds silly but dont over load a box as plastic will sweat.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 08:02:03 PM »
Thank you hathorcat, very smart! Idk if my bins are breathable, I have to double check. They do have silica :-P
~Foxtale~

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 05:14:42 AM »
Thank you hathorcat, very smart! Idk if my bins are breathable, I have to double check. They do have silica :-P

By breathable you can simply have a basic sealed plastic box but punch holes in the corner [on the sides at the top of the box] in order that some air can pass through the box :)
Loa is my love god!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal