collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: WOLFIECHICK's AUTHENTIC REVERSE GUSTY found in 1997 in the UK!  (Read 11623 times)

Offline buttonso

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: THE ORIGINAL CONFIRMED AUTHENTIC UK REVERSE GUSTY from 1997!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 06:42:45 PM »
Fascinating! She's beautiful!  :biggrin:

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: THE ORIGINAL CONFIRMED AUTHENTIC REVERSE GUSTY from 1997 Found in UK!
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 07:13:25 PM »
Wow! She's gorgeous!! Congrats!

Online Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
Re: WOLFIECHICK's AUTHENTIC REVERSE GUSTY found in 1997 in the UK!
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 10:55:38 PM »
I believe she's a Scandinavian too Taffeta. I have an Australian Gusty (found here in a childhood lot), and the symbols too are very similar, more delicate and silvery, and with that green-eyed/glittered symbol combo it's hard to dispute that that's the case. Most Scandinavians are very rare too, so her being extremely limited attests to how such an obvious error got through - she was one of only a few, so they just packaged her up anyway, needing the stock to ship out to stores. Quality control was pretty decent then, so the error would have been rectified quickly. It's very possible she was the first made, and they set the machine up wrong, before fixing it after she was done looking so strange.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 11:21:55 PM »
She's gorgeous Ember! Congratulations on adding her to your collection <3

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 12:23:34 AM »
Wow.  I can't believe Sarah-Bee sold her Reverse Gusty.   :shocked:

Guess I'll chime in.  I have the third RG, thought to be authentic.  (I think.  There will probably be some discussion on it now.)  I'd have to dig through my records to remember the details, but she traces her owner history back to the Delaneys.  If I remember correctly, she was sold to someone who didn't keep her for very long, who sold her to a member here.  I can't remember offhand what her username here was (she's no longer active), but I think her Ebay name was browncatpurrs.  Before I purchased, I remember contacting a respected member here to verify her history and authenticity; I think it was kcat.  (Again, I'd have to dig through my old messages.) 

I never did take photos of her myself, but I saved the ones sent by the seller I got her from.  My collection is boxed up and my RG is a bit difficult to get to right now, but here are the seller's pics.  Her symbols are quite rubbed, unfortunately, so she's probably in the worst condition of the three, but I decided not to be so picky with super rare ponies.  And her horn is stained red, possibly from her own hair.

I think I bought her about 3 years ago.  And no, I never removed her head; I don't like potentially damaging ponies/breaking ?original? neck seals.

Sorry, don't mean to steal your thunder, ember.  But I don't think I could really steal much thunder from an RG brag anyway, even with my own.  ;)  And the conversation was sort of turning to authentication anyway, so . . . there ya go.  Anyway, of course I'm not 100% sure mine is real, but there was enough evidence in her favor that I took the chance.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline TwinkleEye

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • TwinkleEye's little sculptures
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 01:34:41 AM »
(...)

Real Reverse Gusty

(...)

Very interesting discussion. But she is beautiful.  :inlove:

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 01:42:23 AM »
Congratulations, Ember!!!   :lovey: :newpony:  She is absolutely lovely!

It's so sad to hear of the scams that used to go on...  I guess there are always people out there willing to lie to make money, but it's sad to think of collectors doing that.  But how super exciting to see the real deal :)

PS... I second jrr74- it would be insanely amazing to see photos of your collection! :heart: :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 01:43:30 AM »
I realised after I went offline that I actually did see Sarahbee's, I think, at ponycon last oct.

Since the Delaney one has never been authenticated except by their word, I would consider that one unverified and so unconfirmed. Delaneys were akso taken in by some of the uk variant rumours at the time and so they would have believed someone telling them it was real without looking to prove it.

On the other hand they could be real, I just don't think there is enough proof to confirm any but the one Ember now has, and that one still has some questions, such as how did it get here?

Even if factory rejects were the cause, there is a question as to why such an obvious reject ever left the factory, let alone ended up here, where we did not get the glitter Gusty.

There are so many questions, so many assumptions, and so few answers.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 03:50:21 AM »
Congratulations Ember1.

I recall you having doubts about your Reverse Gusty sometime ago. I notice a difference in hair length as well. The "fake" pony has a slightly longer mane.

I met your new Gusty in 2012 at a PonyCon :) Sarah-Bee let me hold her and pop her head off, there was no doubt in my mind the pony is genuine.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2016, 05:46:11 AM »
There is another thing I have noticed since its now daylight and I can put a mint off card gusty right next to the real reverse gusty..
I noticed that the stripe in Real reverse gustys mane is darker than normal HK gustys tail... Check out the photo.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 05:54:36 AM by Ember1 »
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 12:23:13 PM »
Ember, if you have a moment, would you mind doing/posting a close up of RG's eyes (or just one of them would be enough). It's not really possible to do a compare from photo with the shade of this eye and the regular green eye on the UK pony, but I know someone did some colour samples for movie star, scandinavian and US Gusty a while back, and I wondered whether we can get RG's eyes on that scale, to see who she most closely matches. I also want to look at the eye paint and how it's painted if possible. I have my two loose regular Gustys (movie star and US glitter symbol) here with me and I'm struck by how the eyes on the one KPF posted above have the same long lashes and eyelash paint as the US pony, but the green eye colour of my UK Gusty. My UK Gusty is far more bold in the black liner and her lashes are a lot shorter.

Also the hair thing with the streak may be batch related, but for what it's worth, when I put my two Gustys together, the hair shade on the US one is the same, or maybe a tiny tiny tiny microshade darker than the movie star one which was my friend's childhood pony here in the UK. I can't get at SS Gusty to compare with her, though, at present.

I think the answer to nailing what and where RG comes from is going to be in these minute details, so if you have a moment, it would be awesome to see what we can find out.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:33:49 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2016, 12:34:44 PM »
The streak being a different shade is interesting.  I would've thought it would be an exact match, the idea being that the factory accidentally switched the red and green hair and didn't "catch it" until a few ponies had been made.  Does it match any other MLP's hair?  Fizzy's dark green maybe?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 12:48:30 PM »
Other things I'm noticing about Ember's pics she's already shared with us is the spacing of the streak and how its rooted. I'll be really interested to see the eyes up close. I feel like this is a mystery we have to nail down as much as possible, because until we do, we're always going to have questionmarks over authenticity of other RG ponies, so I really think it's pony autopsy time.

The streak sure does look darker in Ember's photo.

I wonder about checking it against SS Gusty, though?  Just in case. Which release of Gusty it matches most closely OUGHT to give us some clue as to production time period...maybe.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 01:25:10 PM »
Ok ill get a ss gusty and do a comparison ;)
Here is an eye comparison and a closup of the silvery symbols.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:32:11 PM by Ember1 »
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 01:57:09 PM »
Thank you, that is awesomely helpful :D The comparison is of the two, fake RG and real RG, correct? With the real one on the right (with the necklace)?

It makes me think that this is a factory error pony as regards Fable Pony Gusty, aka Scandinavian Gusty. This based on her features = eyes and mane.

This was never sold in the UK, but the UK was involved in packaging Fable ponies for Scandinavia in some regard, as the cards for the fable set are all UK-art style designed and marked UK.

The original Wolfchick RG may have ended up in the UK for this reason. It is also possible that she was a test, and Hasbro decided to stick with the original Gusty colour scheme (bear in mind that Fable Moondancer is yellow, not white, so a colour variation in another character is possible).

I can believe one getting here if she was sent here as a suggestion in terms of colour palette. I can't imagine how a whole bunch of them would've come here if they were just factory errors, as they would have been loose in HK, not in the UK. If they were never going to be packaged and sold, there would have been no point, especially as Hasbro UK only handled these for export purposes. The only logical reason in my opinion that a reverse Gusty would have been here is if she had been sent deliberately to Hasbro to look at, which wouldn't have happened with a factory error. And if she wasn't a factory error, it implies that authentic multiples, while not impossible, are less likely.

If she was sent a sample of colour options, then her presence in the UK would be explained, even if the pony itself was never going to be a UK release. And if Hasbro UK decided on what colour palette the Fable ponies had, it would explain her being in the UK.

In short, all the alleged versions appearing in the UK actually make the authenticity of this variation more suspect, rather than less. If they were showing up in Scandinavia, it might be seen as a variation there - and if they were showing up in the US, it might be seen as Hasbro experimenting. To show up in the one place in numbers that the pony was never going to be sold in regular form, let alone alternate form is the thing that makes it most suspicious to me. It seems a hangover from the days of everything unusual being ascribed to the UK market, and, as a result, this has been capitalised on in terms of counterfeiting RG for the mass market. FOr some reason, people are more inclined to believe if it is said to come from the UK, even if that association is a weak one that doesn't really make much overall sense.

This issue is compounded for me by the fact there's some circumstantial evidence that Gusty may not have been included in the UK line at all, given Ribbon's depiction in club artwork and mention on 1986 backcards. Gusty's greater prominence in the movie is probably what got her released here - but that seems an afterthought, since Ribbon would've been a pose match to Buttons.

We probably never will know for sure, but it seems likely to me that RG is an alternate of the Fable pony Gusty.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal