collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rehairing with a reroot tool. Questions!  (Read 603 times)

Offline ponylovingmomma

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Rehairing with a reroot tool. Questions!
« on: July 26, 2013, 10:47:54 AM »
Okay, so I recently purchased a rerooting tool that was recommended in the stickied post above.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261247926200?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Now I realize I have no idea how to use this thing. It looks WAY to big to use on MLP. Does anyone have this tool? It said MLP in the listing so I assumed it would fit.

Offline HorsingAround

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Rehairing with a reroot tool. Questions!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 11:28:39 AM »
I don't have that specific tool but maybe the needle you are using is too big?  :wonder: 
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Offline BarbedDragon

• Trade Count: (+157)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/BarbedDragon/BarbedDragonCustoms
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »
It's possible the needle might be too big---can you post a photo of the needle you got? I might be able to help you out from there :)

Also---did it not come with instructions? As I read the auction is did say that it came with some, have you contacted the seller?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 11:35:13 AM by BarbedDragon »
Commissions are CLOSEDWaiting list available.
*My Customs Page**My Facebook Page**My Re-Rooting Tools/Etsy*

Offline ponylovingmomma

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 12:36:45 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It did come with instructions but it just seems like the needle is way to big. I don't want to try and destroy the plug on the two rare ponies I am rehairing. I want to rehair a Nightglider with alternative colored hair, and I am restoring NBBE Baby Gusty. I'd prefer not ripping the plugs open trying to force the tool in.

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 06:53:01 PM »
It's a larger needle, but probably still usable.  You might try gently widening each plug with a push pin just before you put the tool it.  The plugs will stretch a little.  You might test it on a less rare pony first, if it rips the plastic you will probably have to use a smaller needle.

Offline HorsingAround

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 07:43:24 AM »
Perhaps, the seller accidently sent you a needle designed for a larger doll?  I would switch the needle to a smaller one.  If not, be sure to test it out on a bait because I have a feeling it might not work out so well, especially re-hairing ponies with harder plastic. 
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Offline BarbedDragon

• Trade Count: (+157)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/BarbedDragon/BarbedDragonCustoms
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 08:30:14 AM »
According to the seller that size works on everything from Newborn dolls to Barbies. They don't have any other size. Yikes, I'm sorry I'd be scared too on those guys. That loos about to be a size 4 or 5 needle, something I'd use on only larger dolls like Blythes and maybe A styling Pony if it was really problematic.

However----I agree with CSA---try it on a less rare pony first and enlarge the holes with a pushpin. What I used to do was go back and forth with it until I got to the middle. So put push pin in root at base of neck, leave in for 20 seconds, take out and move the push pin to root near top of head, Root your hole with hair at base of neck, then take out push pin, move it back to next hole on base of neck, Root Hole with hair near top of head and rinse and repeat until you get to the middle. The holes will shrink back to normal size after you are done. When you root, try to go sideways with the needle prongs (so you avoid splitting the scalp) but I think if you enlarge the holes enough you should be fine. I've also used large leather needles if I need a bigger plug hole in the past, worth a try!!!
Commissions are CLOSEDWaiting list available.
*My Customs Page**My Facebook Page**My Re-Rooting Tools/Etsy*

CarnationTwirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 10:00:25 AM »
I think I may have gotten the same rooting tool way back when, when I first started customizing, and yeah those needles are big.  I split the heck out of a G4's scalp and ultimately broke both needles it came with.  And the pre-drilled hole doesn't seem to accommodate smaller needles.
After I got my own dremel tool and good quality craft knife handles to make my own with I haven't looked back.  So much cheaper and quicker than ordering replacement needles, and even when some of them break during the shaping process I still come out ahead.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal