collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I need opinions on a shop name please!  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
I need opinions on a shop name please!
« on: February 11, 2015, 02:29:50 PM »
(putting this here cause I figured shop talk should go in sales forum, if not, please move!)

I'm trying to recreate my shop name and image. "Crackers Crafts" was ok for awhile but I don't really like it for a growing number of reasons. Crackers is based off my Fan Character, and trying to "explain" that part of the name tends to get me odd looks. Also, aside from people first thinking it's about food (which it's not) apparently "Crackers" is becoming a derogatory term. O_o Which is weird but... yah. Weird. Also "Crafts" just doesn't cover what it should it sounds almost... novice.

By changing my shop name and image I'm trying to start over from scratch. I want to get out of making "copyright" stuff like Ponies, Sonic, Pokemon and whatever. Great starting point to learn but if I plan to make an actual legit business for myself, I need to ditch that. I still plan to make plushies, stickers, buttons, charms, etc, but of my OWN designs, my OWN things, and I think starting a fresh new shop with a fresh new name will help me achieve that.

So all that said, my friends and I have been tossing name ideas around for awhile. Since I'm from the Yukon we were tossing "northern" and "Canadian" names around. Last night they came up with "Meticulous Moose Marvels", which everyone found really cute. I did too but... it seems awfully long and a bit complicated. ^_^; Do you think there's anyway I should/could simplify that? Or does it sound okay as it is? I was also thinking of maybe "The Meticulous Moose" cause I could create a really adorable mascot with a name like that...

Or do you think it's a terrible name and I should try something else? Be honest, don't worry about hurting my feelings, I need the critique! :nod: I appreciate anything anyone has to offer. I've been asking around for various opinions because picking a new store name is a huge thing and with places like Etsy I can only do it once. XD;

[kicked to OT for you as you'll get more of a response there. People usually just hit the customs sales forum to buy or sell customs - kkat]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:21:41 AM by kaoskat »

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: I need opinions on a shop name please!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 07:22:51 AM »
I like "The Meticulous Moose" better than "Meticulous Moose Marvels". I dunno why. It just sounds cuter.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 09:02:32 AM »
I prefer The Meticulous Moose over Meticulous Moose Marvels

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 09:21:37 AM »
Meticulous Moose doesn't quite work. It's almost there, just gotta tweak it a bit in my personal opinon.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 09:25:29 AM »
Oh? Why do you feel that? Too long? Too complicated to say? Hard to spell?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 09:31:28 AM »
Well The Meticulous Moose would be a better name for a cleaning service.  (Though I kinda prefer Neat Freaks R Us) I love the idea of a Moose Mascot and alliteration is always fun and sticks in people's heads, so stick with the Moose idea since you like it and maaaybe (unless you've got your heart set on it) possibly consider a different word/name to go with. Remember, this is just my personal opinion. ;)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 10:41:43 AM »
I kind of agree.

the first thing that popped into my mind was 'Solar Flare Creations' or 'dancing light'.

You live in an area where you can sometimes see the AB. Which is caused by a solar flare up--the winds hit our electronic field and that's what causes the particles to light up and dance.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 10:47:40 AM »
I'm lousy at names, but I like the visual I'm getting of an awkward-looking moose carefully and professionally sewing something up.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 11:02:29 AM »
I'm lousy at names, but I like the visual I'm getting of an awkward-looking moose carefully and professionally sewing something up.

And that is EXACTLY what I was thinking of drawing for the logo. Big dorky moose with his tongue lolling out in concentration carefully stitching a tiny plush with his big giant hooves. XD

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 02:51:47 PM »
I like the idea of the moose being your mascot, and can definitely picture a super cute logo. But, I don't think Meticulous Moose sounds quite like a shop for crafts and handmade things.

I like "Dancing Light Designs" but that doesn't give you a cute mascot lol.

Maybe... "Moose Manufactures" ? I'm no good at names lol

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 04:34:50 PM »

And that is EXACTLY what I was thinking of drawing for the logo. Big dorky moose with his tongue lolling out in concentration carefully stitching a tiny plush with his big giant hooves. XD

I love that visual, it sounds great. XD The Marvelous Moose. You can call him Marvin for short haha j/k

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 07:16:45 PM »
I kind of agree.

the first thing that popped into my mind was 'Solar Flare Creations' or 'dancing light'.

Solar Flare Creations sounds like an awesome business name. It definitely grabs attention.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 05:15:52 AM »
I like The Meticulous Moose  :)
You just don't hear the word meticulous very often, which I think makes it stand out. Plus I like animals P:

Although it took a little bit for it to grow on me. I didn't immediately like it, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it was pretty charming.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 05:18:04 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 08:48:52 AM »
How about just Moose Marvels?

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 09:36:31 AM »
Hey, i know how you feel, it is the same situation a bunch of my friends from university and i am in. ;) Finding a good name for your Works is difficult, but we found a few rules, maybe they can help you?

- it should not be more that two words long and easy to spell
- no different spellings of words, like "Kreative" or "3x1t" for example, people will have trouble to look you up and find you to comission you. ;)
- it should directly explain what you do. (this is a difficult one, for me too, but you should incooperate a word that includes a hint of what you do. like sewing? thread, fabric, needle, yarn,.. make a list of all of these words that remind you of plushes maybe?)
- no letters which are not included in the english language. (this will be easy for you. its just easier for people from all over the world to look for you)
- test/research it, if it could mean something negative in any language.
- google it if someone already uses this, even if it is for a completely different thing, like a bakerie or a book title.. ;)

thats about the rules i read so far. another big recommedation from our professors is= use your own name. because it is you who does the cool stuff, your name, full or shortened can work out really good, it is personal and people are more compfortable contacting you.

now about your suggestions, i thiink they both sound quite cute, but as a not native english speaker i was like "What is this word? O_O " I honestly have to look it up later. ;) but if you really like maticilous moose, why put the "the" in front of it? you dont need it, is my personal opinion because people might use it automatically in context with you name? annd it makes the name longer.

did you choose the moose because you are from yukon? did you consider other animals too? choose one that really represents your work or you. when i think about mooses, at first i think abpout antlers, that they are big, have hooves and thier noses. ;) what do they represent for you?
are they a sign of quality? you can add a little sewn tag with a moose as a mark of you work on your plushs. (like steiff for example)

the last thing that comes to my mind is, look at the idols you have in this genre you work in. how did the coolest and best plushiemakers choose thier names? take some private sellers and some brands, you can even ask the private sellers personally and do recherche about the bigger brands. ask them why they like thier name and what they do not like. so you know what to avoid. ;)

whoo, long wall of text, but i hope it can haelp you brandstorming and finding a name you are proud to wear for years! :D
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal