collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 512
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Generic vs name brand weigh in!  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
Re: Generic vs name brand weigh in!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 10:27:25 AM »
oh now that's just not fair! north carolina is right next door and no CCs. hmph.

man do i miss the community coffee houses. like starbucks, but delicious.

Do you guys have Bi-Lo stores in NC?  That's where I get mine.  Target is worth a check too if you haven't looked there already.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 11:27:49 AM »
Actually I look at the ingrediants over anything else, since theres alot that will set my stomach off :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 11:34:15 AM »
I can't think of things I'll only buy name brand of off the top of my head, but there are a few.
Most of the time I don't care if it's branded or generic, though.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 11:52:44 AM »
I find that still even those 'compare to -insert name brand-' are still not always the same.  Some stuff is of course :).  I buy generic tylenol and band aids and stuff.  But I also use pantene and the fakie pantene, It has the same ingredients but it must not be in the same quantity or something because I feel like the generic is thinner.  But of course it's cheaper so they probaby use a bit less of the pricey stuff. 

I'm always so torn because the price is right but I don't want too go too far in value.  Like toilet paper.  *headdesk* The really cheap stuff is like tissue paper and you have to use twice as much.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »
Jif or Panner peanut butter only. They taste the same.

I've really gotten into SavALot foods because most of them have short ingredient lists of natural food ingredients and they taste great. I'm all for natural foods over more processed brands. The only downside is that coupons and sales usually are for processed crap like Kraft and Proctor & Gamble.

Oh, and grape soda must be Welch's because all the other brands taste like children's tylenol.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:28:47 PM by HavACrumpet452 »

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 12:40:45 PM »
I think I remember Panner peanut butter.  I will have to try and get a hold of some and see how it measures up.  I am so picky about my peanut butter lol.  It's one of the few things I really an choosy about. 

Well now that I'm pregnant my tastes have changed a bit but I am still down with the peanut butter.

NumiTuziNeru

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 01:31:46 PM »
I like Waitrose stuff. Waitrose is good.

Offline DemonicSymphony

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 02:25:09 PM »
It totally depends on the product. A lot of foods generic/off brand is fine. Not the boyfriend's Kraft cheese though. He also tends to buy actual hamburger helper versus a generic version.

I have a certain shampoo I buy because it really treats my hair wonderfully. But I intersperse using it with generic suave shampoo so I don't use as much. Because I'm a cheapskate and it works well that way. Like, ever other hair wash or so I use the cheap stuff.

Computers... I'm an HP lover as I've never had problems from them while having had problems with lots of others.

But for the most part, generic or off brand is ok.

Beef stew MUST BE Dinty Moore though!
I rescue unwanted plushies. PM me for details!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 03:03:49 PM »
For some things, like Peter Pan peanut butter, I insist on brand name.  For others, like whole wheat pasta and Indian food, you don't have a choice about whether you'll get brand name or not. 

Stuff like band-aids and frozen fruit/veggies and dry goods, off brand.  I also love off brand cola.

EDIT - DS, yes!!  HP and Dinty Moore ALL THE WAY!!  God, I haven't had Dinty Moore in like 2 years.  Now it's all I want!  I make awesome stew but it just isn't the same, you know? 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:05:45 PM by Skeen »

Offline Nonnavlis

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • ~Tiny Space Princess~
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 04:32:52 PM »
I was thinking I was a generic girl, but then reading over this ya'll reminded me of a lot of things I just must have from a certain brand!

Probably the thing I'm most adamant about, like some of ya'll, is Heinz Ketchup- well, Heinz Red-Sugar Sauce, I suppose it should really be called XD- but I've got a few things that need to be specific. My... do you call it Cola? Has to be Coka-Cola/Coke brand, but that's because I have heart problems and need to be sure what I'm drinking is caffeine free. Peanut butter has to be one of a few specific brands (One of which is store-brand/off-brand) that don't have sugar in them, but so long as there is no sugar the brand doesn't matter. Yoghurt has to be Yoptimal brand, which is delicious. I did not like yoghurt until I came across Yoptimal, it is amazing stuff (And comes in a lactose-free version, which is great). I also prefer brand-name toilet paper, Oreos, animal crackers and toothbrushes (That might be an odd one XD), along with a few other things.

The only thing I can think of I strongly prefer the store-brand/off-brand for is beef hotdogs/wieners/what-have-you.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:37:22 PM by Nonnavlis »

Asphodel

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 11:18:29 AM »
All my food is store brand, because most of the time I find it is the same taste with different wrapper. Also with medications. I'm not spending a couple of quid on paracetamol when I can buy it for 16p  :cool:

All my toiletries are from Lush though. All my cleaning products are brand name. Also, chocolate has to be Lindt 99% of the time. And alcohol. Store brand wine is not so good!
And obviously... all my ponies are Hasbro! :silly:

So yeah, I guess all my favourite things are brand names. And I thought I was thrifty  :cry:

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 11:36:31 AM »
All your ponies are Hasbro, lol. Mine aren't. If Lanard were sold here more often, than a much smaller percent of my ponies would be Hasbro.

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 04:13:41 PM »
The only thing I must buy brand name is ketchup. My hubby would die if it's not Heinz.
I prefer certain brands for health/beauty but they're not a must.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »
I tend to buy the more organic brands, so in those cases, there's not always an option for store-brand. I'm not very "brand loyal" though, except for Seventh Generation toilet paper, Marcel napkins, JIF peanut butter, and tomato sauce (Bertolli's OK, or Barilla), or cans of crushed tomatoes to make sauce myself...the store brands I've tried taste too sour. Typically, I don't think the store brands of foods taste the same as the brand-name food, but I don't always have a preference either. Oh, and there are only two brands of Chinese dumplings/potstickers I'll buy, Ling Ling and a Chinese brand that I can't remember the name of.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »
I'm secretly excited to see so many Jif fans out there.  Peanut butter I feel like is one of those things that has a lot of variety from one brand to the next.

I also just realized today that I like cheez-it brand crackers better than the generic brand.  Actually the name brands are kind of winning for me I think.  I need to take a trip to aldi or somewhere and pick up some generic puff corn.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal