collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Let's Talk About Your Pony Collection!  (Read 4667 times)

CottonTALE

• Trade Count: (0)
Let's Talk About Your Pony Collection!
« on: August 20, 2016, 11:07:55 PM »
This question is going out to all my pony peeps: As a collector, what sort of ponies do you collect? for example some things to think about are:

-Do you collect all products or just a specific variety/generation?
-What sort of lines of pony products do you collect?
-Is there a specific pony or ponies you have an army/armies of?
-What do you find to be easy/challenging about collecting ponies
-What tips would you offer people starting their pony collections

Also, if you collect things other than MLP, feel free to talk about those too!

---
Do you collect all products or just a specific variety/generation?
For me, I mainly collect G4 ponies exclusively (with G3 Fluttershy and G1 Posey being the few exceptions)

What sort of lines of pony products do you collect?
I used to only collect the regular-sized brushables and large playsets but right now I'm branching out into other G4 lines such as Blind Bags, Fashion Styles, BAB plushies, Funko Vynils, FIM Collection and Equestria Girls dolls. I also collect MLP homeware and use them in my apartment (thankfully my boyfriend is also a pony fan and collector, so I don't have to isolate my pony things to one area of the house)

Is there a specific pony or ponies you have an army/armies of?
I have an army of Fluttershy ponies, plushies and other merch. Fluttershy is my favourite pony so if something is out that has her on it, I have to have it. I haven't actually counted how many things of fluttershy I own, but i'm pretty sure it's a high number by now. My boyfriend has a small army of Rainbow Dash things since he absolutely adores her.

What do you find to be easy/challenging about collecting ponies
I find the availability of ponies since I am collecting a generation that is still on store shelves to be an advantage to me. A disadvantage would be the lack of different characters and when the are released, they are usually harder-to-find due to scarce stocking/scalping.

What tips would you offer people starting their pony collections
My advice to people starting out on collecting (mainly for people starting out on G4 collecting) is to aim for the earlier releases first and work your way forward. Since most of the older G4 releases usually don't have a re-issue, they are much harder-to-find whereas the newer ponies can be found in stores quite easily in most cases.

I also collect certain Amiibos (Animal Crossing and Yarn Yoshis for the most part) and video games (Nintendo mostly, but I also do Sony)

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk About Your Pony Collection!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 11:20:24 PM »
I prefer g1, but collect all generations. I'm not very into merchandise, playsets and accessories.

It's easier to say which I don't, talk-a-lot, DnP, ht, so soft newborns, most plushies, and any that require batteries.

If an army is three or more of the same, then I have armies of all the US cp ponies, parasol, twilight sparkle, and Apple jack.

I find ones that I want far to easily. The challenge is balancing the low income budget around that. Especially once I've acquired most of the less expensive ponies.

I would say go for a few mystery lots, learn all you can about identifying the condition of a pony and what conditions are acceptable to you, and always feel free to ask. Just because someone may have asked the same question 4-5 pages down, doesn't make it a dumb question. Lastly, listen to the pros. There are so many experienced collectors on here and most are happy to offer excellent advice.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 12:51:40 AM »

I collect G1 & G3.

I just collect the regular sized ponies, plus I have about 12 petites. I collect only adults, no babies. And most of my ~75 ponies are ones without tinsel. I think there are 4 or 5 exceptions.

No, no armies.

What do you find to be easy/challenging about collecting ponies?

Keeping my collection secret from my family.

What tips would you offer people starting their pony collections?

Have fun with it and collect the ponies that you like or mean something to you. You don't have to catch them all, unless that's your goal.

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 02:08:53 AM »
typically i collect what ever i like, I really only have a few G2's because i dont care as much for the styling.. but they are still pretty nice. Right now its mostly G4 because they are the easiest to get hold of. but i still look for and love all of the gens when i see and can get them.

typically the animation.. i love animation. So i have a lot of the g4 seasons.. and as much of the g1 as i have been able to locate.

seems like i have gotten a lot of fluttershys with out even realizing it.. and more than a few pinkie pies and rainbowdash's but no no real armies to speak of.

hehe collecting ponies is easy period.. they are relatively in expensive and can befound easily.
The thing that is the most challenging for me.. is with my ponies.. like with any of m y collections ... is the amount of NON SENSE i have to put up with from my family about them.
That gets old after a while.

IGNORE YOUR FAMILY they give you a hard time. Your collections make you happy.. you should not have to  justify them or be shook down about how much money you spend.
If your bills are paid and there is food on the table.. and you are making the ends meet.
then what you do with your spare money is your business.

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 02:50:31 AM »
Would it be ok to use this questionnaire on my Blog for a post if I link this thread? I like the questions :)

I'll answer here, too.

I focus on G1, but am slowly collecting g2 and g3 as well. Not interested in g3.5 or g4.

Anything within my 3 preferred generations goes, pretty much. Though I tend to focus on a (couple) set(s) at a time. Right now, I'm working on TAF, Sea Ponies and flutters, but I won't pass up if I find anything else that goes in my collection.

Yes! I have an army of Collector's Pose ponies, and an army of Lemon Drop within that army. :heart:

Space! We live in a tiny house, and I can only display half of what I want to display. plus, I can't get proper shelves (with glass doors) because they just won't fit in the house.
Also that thing with when you totally needwant to buy a pony or two, but your bank account has been saying no to ponies for the past couple years or so. THAT'S difficult.

Research and plan what ponies you want! When I started, I bought everything in sight, which made for a very disoriented and chaotic little collection, which to me was sort of an energy drain to look at in the end. once I started adding to sets/poses/generations it all felt much better.
Also,don't be afraid to have them on display. If your friends don't like them - who cares. I wouldn't call someone who doesn't accept my fully a friend anyway. Might be a bit harsh, but eh. If they can't accept you, why should you accept that?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 04:25:49 AM »

I only collect G1, though I do have a G3 lurking about somewhere from my sister's ponies.  I've thought about getting another gen pony to put in my car, too   ^.^

I have a bit of G1 merchandise, but I'm not strict on what I collect.  (Like my taste in music... I don't just go for a specific artist or genre, mostly just individual songs I like!)  I love early international back cards, and I have a couple of pony magazines in French which are pretty cool.  I'm going through a bit of a petite pony craze at the moment too  ^.^

I have a lot of doubles, but I wouldn't say I have an army of one in particular.  Although... I have a whole bunch of the bedtime newborn set, they were the last G1s to be sold here and they were prolific.  My mum, sisters and I did a lot of flea-marketing back in the 90s and recently my sisters gave their collections to me, so any armies are more incidental than deliberate.  Also they tend to me in near-mint condition, which makes it really hard to choose which ones to keep and I sort of gave up, heh

What do you find to be easy/challenging about collecting ponies?

The most frustrating/hard thing for me is not being able to do a lot of physical work with my collection cos of chronic fatigue.  I have so much work to do, cleaning them all, comparing and selling (and of course endless hair-styling, restoring, re-hairing of baits and ponies that will be gifts for my niece).  I'm good at the buying side, cos you can be in bed or lying on the couch with your laptop, but I have to reserve my energy for my job and give that priority, so it's a very slow process!

I think just being involved in the pony community is a great tip!  It's awesome to have people in your life who share your love of ponies and affirm it!  I'm lucky, my mum is a secret pony-lover and I'm her excuse, haha  :biggrin:  Sometimes when I get a new pony she's even more excited than me! I don't talk about it a lot with friends as I can feel self-conscious, but ultimately it's about accepting yourself I think which makes you a happier person :)  It's amazing the way ponies bring people together.  The Arena has got to be one of the best places online, IMHO :)

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 05:46:18 AM »
I collect only G4 for now.

Just the brushable ponies

I only have one of each character in my collection

I find it easy to buy new ponies once I've found them (almost too easy...)! I also enjoy styling their hair, which with G4 you have to if you take them out of the box like I do. The challenging thing is finding space to keep them, and the shops near me often get new ponies in long after other places.

Just enjoy the ponies you have, and try to be patient waiting for the ones you want to show up in shops/online

Offline HorsingAround

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 06:27:29 AM »

I collect all generations but G1s are my favorite. I probably have more G3s than any other gen as I've been able to get them the cheapest.

I try to keep my collection mostly limited to ponies vs. merchandise as I have limited space.

I have 5 TAF Yum Yums and some inadvertently collected armies including common G1s and core G4s.

-What do you find to be easy/challenging about collecting ponies?

I think it's wayyyyy too EASY to overspend on ponies! :PThe most challenging things for me are trying not to overspend and organization/displaying my collection. Right now my collection is a hot mess with ZERO organization. It honestly stresses me out looking at it right now.  :shocked:

-What tips would you offer people starting their pony collections?

The two mistakes I initially made when I first started collecting, was overpaying for ponies and not keeping a checklist which resulted in buying multiple of the same pony!! Do your research and keep track of what you have! Enjoy your collection and have fun!  :biggrin:
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 06:28:46 AM »
I collect all generations to a degree but my main focus in G1 and I don't add G4 ponies to my collection anymore. With merchandise, playsets, and accessories I'm a lot more picky about what I'll buy but I'd be happy with almost anything as a gift! I'm not a fan of G4 merchandise most of the time, unless its handmade, so I tend to avoid it.

With G1 and G2 its just everything, whatever I can find. Ponies, merchandise, mommy charms, playsets, accessories, erasers, random household stuff, etc. I like pretty much all of it! With G3.5 I like customs or babies, but I wouldn't turn down a couple regular ponies. With G3 its sort of random, but most brushables and playset/accessory stuff. I kind of like Ponyville but I want to see them in person. I LOVE Ponyville playsets though! As for G4, I mostly keep special gifts, white ponies, and the little animals. I have one playset and that's it. Although i do love blind bag ponies, they got very stale very quickly for me.

Sundance! :D My main focus is G1 but I'm happy to grab other generation Sundance stuff whenever I get the chance.

What do you find to be easy/challenging about collecting ponies
These days I find it easy to enjoy my ponies. I have okay displays in the process of being upgraded and I actually get to enjoy them instead of shoving them away in drawers. Probably most challenging for me right now is actually getting new ponies. I have a lot of collections to balance and when ponies aren't my #1 priority its really hard to justify things like perfectly fair shipping costs. Its been a few years since I bought a pony for my collection.

What tips would you offer people starting their pony collections
Don't listen to the first cleaning advice you hear. Do a LOT of research before you touch your ponies with anything - water or products. If you get a pony who looks weird, research them. Ask if they need to be cleaned a special way. Don't be afraid to sound dumb or like you're asking silly questions. You're not! Its better to ask a ton of questions instead of accidentally ruin a pony and feel horrible about it.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »
I mostly collect G1 and a small smattering of G2 and 3.

I tend to just focus on the ponies themselves, no proper MLP accessories but I do pick up cute things to complement my display.

Not at the moment, although given the opportunity, I would totally have a Moondancer army!

Finding certain ponies is a challenge, especially those that tend to be tough to find in the 'right' condition (like Ringlet with unfaded pink hair)

Maybe start with ponies that relate to your interests, like space-themed ponies or nautical ones. That way you have a nice cohesive foundation to build your collection on. :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 08:33:34 AM »
Do you collect all products or just a specific various/generation?:

I collect Gens 1,3 and fakies. I'm not interested in accessories really, but a brush is always welcome, I would like a bushwoolie and there's a couple hats I'd like to have as well as repro shells and if I could find a reasonably priced sea pony with her float I wouldn't turn it down .

What sort of lines of pony products do you collect?:

I collect brushables. I'm not fond of the BB ponies and I hear petites are expensive. Wouldn't mind the G3 tin ponies.

Is there a specific army of ponies?:

No. I don't collect repeat characters. I have limited space.

What do you find easy/challenging?:

Easy-I can find alot of ponies for good deals and I do very well not going over my spending limit for a single pony.
Challenging: Trying to limit my collection numbers. I also have several ponies that need new hair and i don't feel comfortable doing it myself. Sometimes I go overboard spending especially since my daughter loves them too. :lol:

What tips would you offer people starting their collection?:

Collect what you love.
Go onto sites and compile your wishlist.
There are resources to help you with price check estimates
There are resources to help you in case you want to clean, restore or customize, including sourcing it out to others if you aren't comfortable in those areas.

Don't be afraid to ask questions; The pony community is quite happy to help.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:43:34 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

CottonTALE

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 09:09:25 AM »
I love all the responses so far! it's interesting to see what everyone finds challenging as a collector because the answers vary a lot.

Shaiyeh, of course you can use my questions in you link the thread :)

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 10:20:18 AM »
yay, thanks CottonTALE! Just posted ^^ http://shaiyeh.webs.com/apps/blog/show/44129100-let-s-talk-about-my-pony-collection-

I agree, it's nice to see everyone's different answers and tips for beginners :D

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 01:16:03 PM »
My main focus has been G1 which is quite a bit of individual ponies. I have a few select G3's; under 20 total.
My main focus is just ponies. I've slowly worked on play sets, with only having the dream castle complete, other sets I'm in no rush to totally finish up. I do have quite a few puzzles, but not a ton of merch.
I unintentionally have 3 Nightgliders (and the coolest part is all of them cost me under $10!). Bluebell is my only army pony that I purposefully have purchased other country versions to add to. Currently Megan and Sundance have a good sized grouping...
At this time my challenge is that I'm down to about 20 ponies left between US store & MO's. The sheer cost to finish up is difficult to cope with. That and some are just not that easy to track down!
Look for lots and if you're not picky you'll be able to add more quicker!

Also, if you collect things other than MLP, feel free to talk about those too!
Rainbow Brite is my second favorite, I wish I had a pic of everything together, but the majority is stored at this time.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 05:36:17 PM »

I collect anything that catches my eye, but it's mostly G4 and to a lesser extent, G3.  I have a few G1s, but am not interested in G2.

For G4, almost everything.  Brushables, Blind Bags, Funkos, EqG, POP ponies, trading cards, comics, books, you name it.

G3 is just brushables, no real interest in Ponyvilles yet.

I have a large G4 Pinkie Pie army. She's been my favorite ever since I first got into MLP, and I can and will buy pretty much anything and everything of her.

I have more or less the same attitude toward Princess Celestia and Cadance, but they're not released anywhere near as often as Pinkie.

It's not too hard to find a lot of what you want, once you know where to look. And it's pretty easy to find bargains, especially with G3 and new G4s.

One of the biggest challenges is space managment, especially when a collection grows to a certain size. Planning and organization help out, as do basic carpentry skills (for modifying/creating new shelves).

One of the biggest challenges for me (as well as a few guys I know) was not being too embarrassed to buy them in person, or at all.

For brand-new stuff, always wait for a sale, never pay full price. 

You can tell yourself that you'll only get a few, but that's just not going to happen.

You can never have too much shelf space.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal