Pony Talk > Pony Corral

What is going on with G1 sales?

<< < (2/7) > >>

kingluke:
The same happened to me, but on a second hand flea market. There were commonponies with flaws for 7.50 euro's a piece. I didn't want to spend a small fortune (there were many) on ponies that were hard to rehome. Poseys, lemon drops, ect. They thought they were rare and wouldn't budge in price. They said they were rare. I never thought I'd see the  day I 'd leave g1s behind in the wild. I did pick up french cotton candy and poor condition good weather, who I will try to rehome.

Barnacle_lady:
I also leave common G1 ponies behind. Not just because of the price but I think everyone has a Peachy, Bow tie and Lickety Split :) The vendors think they can fetch a lot because it's original.

flowersinherhair:
I have also not been buying ponies much in recent years, but I've started checking ebay to check prices since I began selling again and WOW, yeah, prices are through the roof while photos are abysmal, descriptions are nonexistant, and conditions are questionable. Everyone seems to think they are sitting on a gold mine with their dirty, wild-haired common ponies. I'm glad I already bought most of the ponies I wanted years ago, but it makes me feel a bit hopeless about ever getting the ones I'd still like to have (of course I was waiting on buying some of the more sought-after ones which have now become ludicrously expensive... sigh). Kinda takes some of the fun out of collecting when the prices have gone from "little treat for myself" to "serious purchase to think hard about first."

tailrustedtealeaf:

--- Quote from: flowersinherhair on April 03, 2024, 03:54:32 PM ---I have also not been buying ponies much in recent years, but I've started checking ebay to check prices since I began selling again and WOW, yeah, prices are through the roof while photos are abysmal, descriptions are nonexistant, and conditions are questionable. Everyone seems to think they are sitting on a gold mine with their dirty, wild-haired common ponies. I'm glad I already bought most of the ponies I wanted years ago, but it makes me feel a bit hopeless about ever getting the ones I'd still like to have (of course I was waiting on buying some of the more sought-after ones which have now become ludicrously expensive... sigh). Kinda takes some of the fun out of collecting when the prices have gone from "little treat for myself" to "serious purchase to think hard about first."

--- End quote ---

Definitely where I land. I have a lot of the common ponies you'd find for cheap in lots (and a lot of Lots are much higher priced than they were beforehand) and at this point only do serious splurges (which are few between because price AND because of space) or accumulating them at thrifts.

Taffeta:
I honestly miss when Ebay was actually a site for collectors selling stuff to one another, rather than another corporate marketplace. But that's how life rolls I guess?

Although some ponies have gone up in price, some have also dropped over the years. I am glad I collected most of mine when I did, but at the same time feel as though I can't downsize or organise (particularly my mip ponies) because it's a wild west out there :/

And I may never be able to replace things if I get rid of something precious.

I was looking on ebay earlier, and saw a few UK G1 MOCs. I was amused by one of them listed at £300 (which is what, around $400), when the pony has a massive discount sale label on the card saying £1.99 ($3),

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to see actual UK G1 MOCs still emerging, especially ones like this whose names are different - but that's a biiiig markup for a minor packaging difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version