collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toxic Chemicals in Our Ponies?  (Read 8009 times)

BerryPunch

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Toxic Chemicals in Our Ponies?
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2012, 02:15:08 PM »
Reading this thread make me think of the Spongebob episode where he's afraid to leave his house because he might hurt his butt...

Going along with that, we can't all live like Spongebob and live in fear!

LOL I love that episode!  And his "friends" Penny, Chip, and Used Napkin!  *starts singing the "Indoors" song*

Anyway...carry on.  *back out of thread*
Kinda OT but that was one of the best Spongebob episodes, before it got dumbed down.

Rosse

« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2012, 02:19:29 PM »
Great post, Whippycorn!

I don't appreciate people making fun of a legitimate concern. Many of us have health problems that are related to modern society in one way or another. Toxins in plastics, fabrics etc are a big health issue. Just because we haven't all fallen down dead by now doesn't mean that we are completely unaffected by these things. And just because you take interest in the topic and try to limit the bad stuff in your life doesn't make you a crazy paranoid hippie :/

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2012, 03:12:10 PM »
I don't appreciate people making fun of a legitimate concern. Many of us have health problems that are related to modern society in one way or another. Toxins in plastics, fabrics etc are a big health issue. Just because we haven't all fallen down dead by now doesn't mean that we are completely unaffected by these things. And just because you take interest in the topic and try to limit the bad stuff in your life doesn't make you a crazy paranoid hippie :/

:like: Thank you for saying so. I know I can't go live in a cave or throw out all my possessions, but it is irksome that this stuff is so prevalent.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2012, 03:51:07 PM »
Interesting post. I certainly agree that we live in a world which - no matter where we are and what we do - is fundamentally dangerous. However, we are all entitled to our own opinions and personal preferences with how we live our lives and to what we expose ourselves - whether that be that the concept of chemicals in our ponies worries us or doesn't worry us.   

I will continue to be reassured that I live in a country which has the degree of health & safety and quality control and product control that the UK [and most many other nations] has. At least once every couple of weeks I ll walk into a retailer who has a sign up about a product recall - the fact that such recalls happen assures me that there is a testing and proactive action [not just reaction] system out there. That being said, again as others have mentioned, such measures get safer and safer as the years pass and back in the 80s there was no where near the same level of control. It was and is possible that red pigments back in the 80s had a lead based content - however this is now an outdated notion as it is now illegal in the UK and I believe in the US for modern toys to contain certain chemical products [there is a maximum level for lead and an all out ban on phthalates]. So for this I would think if your concern is safety then modern toys are a much better idea than anything older.

I understand and appreciate that my ponies may have a chemical base which is not "good for me" but at the same time I work and live not far from an exceptionally busy main road, 3 miles from an airport, 4 miles from a Royal Airforce Base, 20 miles from a nuclear power station and 35 miles from the UKs nuclear submarine base - if I focused on it I think I would most likely be more concerned with these and their chemical elements than the plastic toys I enjoy. But that is my personal opinion and its my choice to not concern myself with it - it is on the other hand understandable that the OP and others would find this as something important enough to concern themselves with.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2012, 05:44:47 PM »

:like: Thank you for saying so. I know I can't go live in a cave or throw out all my possessions, but it is irksome that this stuff is so prevalent.

True that. DX

Though honestly, I try to live without so many anxieties because honestly everything kills you in one way or another. It's best to just limit your exposure to anything that might do it quicker.

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2012, 05:56:53 PM »
phthalates have been proven to be harmful in lab rats when they are injected with vastly higher rates then the average person would be exposed to.  Ingesting on the other hand is neutralized at the molecular level by adding a single sugar molecule to the chain. Our bodies naturally do this , however it does not mean someone will not react differently given certain genetic conditions.  In any case a toxin or possible cancer gen varies it effects biased on time of exposure,  amount of exposure,  ones genetic predisposition,  age, health , and many other factors than changes the outcome of said substance. merely being exposed is no guarantee either way that one will or will not have a harmful effect.

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2012, 06:38:37 PM »
I too back up Whippycorn's post! We can chose to do whatever we feel is best. I don't see why everyone is getting so incensed about it.
I'll put something here some time

Offline agnusdei

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • little lamb
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »
Excellent post, Whippycorn - thank you for sharing your insight!

Offline mayanbutterfly

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+146)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Mayanbutterfly's Custom My Little Ponies and More!
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2012, 11:42:39 PM »
Here's the response that I got from Hasbro:

Thank your for your patience while we researched My Little Pony for you.

My Little Pony, both old and new, do contain PVC and chlorine. Regrettably, the levels information is not available. They do not contain any of the other ingredients you inquired about. Please let us know if you need additional assistance.

(I had also asked about what levels of Phthalates, Lead, Chlorine, Cadmium, Arsenic,   Mercury,   Bromine, Chromium, Tin, and Antimony are in My Little Pony toys if any)

Also, this link looks informative and is on PBS's website, I'm just starting to read it.

http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/412/toxins-in-toys.html

I also asked Hasbro to try to provide me with more information about how much  PVC and chlorine are in the ponies.

Edit:  I just read this:

Phthalates have been banned in the European Union since 2005. Nine other countries, including Japan, Mexico and Argentina, have also outlawed the chemicals. China, which makes 85 percent of the world's toys, has developed two manufacturing lines, one for the European market and the other like-minded nations that ban phthalates, and another one for the United States and dozens mostly developing and third world countries that don't restrict them.

http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/412/ban-phthalates.html

Do you think that means that My Little Ponies sold in Europe have less toxins in them than ones sold in the United States?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:56:29 PM by mayanbutterfly »

Jypsy

« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2012, 08:04:14 AM »

My Little Pony, both old and new, do contain PVC and chlorine. Regrettably, the levels information is not available. They do not contain any of the other ingredients you inquired about. Please let us know if you need additional assistance.

(I had also asked about what levels of Phthalates, Lead, Chlorine, Cadmium, Arsenic,   Mercury,   Bromine, Chromium, Tin, and Antimony are in My Little Pony toys if any)

Also, this link looks informative and is on PBS's website, I'm just starting to read it.

I also asked Hasbro to try to provide me with more information about how much  PVC and chlorine are in the ponies.

Phthalates have been banned in the European Union since 2005. Nine other countries, including Japan, Mexico and Argentina, have also outlawed the chemicals. China, which makes 85 percent of the world's toys, has developed two manufacturing lines, one for the European market and the other like-minded nations that ban phthalates, and another one for the United States and dozens mostly developing and third world countries that don't restrict them.

Do you think that means that My Little Ponies sold in Europe have less toxins in them than ones sold in the United States?

According to hasbro's statement on their hasbro, inc site :
(http://csr.hasbro.com/saf04-material-content.php)

PHTHALATES
Phthalates are chemicals used to soften plastics. All Hasbro’s products comply with applicable phthalates global laws and regulations, including the European Union Phthalates Directive and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA).

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2012, 08:15:20 AM »
If I die being happy then so be it :)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2012, 08:21:48 AM »

According to hasbro's statement on their hasbro, inc site :
(http://csr.hasbro.com/saf04-material-content.php)

PHTHALATES
Phthalates are chemicals used to soften plastics. All Hasbro’s products comply with applicable phthalates global laws and regulations, including the European Union Phthalates Directive and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA).

"It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture for sale, offer for sale, distribute in commerce, or import into the United States any children’s toy or child care article that contains concentrations of more than 0.1 percent of di-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), dibutyl phthalate( DBP), or benzyl butyl phthalate (BBP)."

So that is the amount in the law that Hasbro complies with. So complying with that law may indeed mean that they do not have any Phthalates in their products.

BerryPunch

« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2012, 08:55:48 AM »
Hmmm.... I say that's a pretty reasonable response.

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2012, 10:10:57 AM »
Great post, Whippycorn!

I concur. There are lots of bad things that are being produced. There are an increasing number of countries banning Monsanto also (GMO food) because of the evils they entail.
I say people need to get back to doing for themselves and get back into the self sufficiency arts that are starting to go by the wayside. I can food and have a vegetable garden. I am interested in learning candle making and soap making. I know how to make my own laundry detergent and i have a food storage. I encourage people to educate themselves and trend away from all this synthetic stuff in our food if you can.
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline mayanbutterfly

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+146)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Mayanbutterfly's Custom My Little Ponies and More!
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
Here's one more reply that I received from Hasbro:

Hello Maria,

Thank you for your email.

Regrettably, as Stephanie mentioned, the levels information is not available.

Please be advised that our products are free from Phthalates in material and paint. We believe based on scientific evidence that PVC in toys presents no health risk to children. Hasbro’s toys are designed to be compliant with all current laws around the world, including those relating to PVC. For more information on PVC, please go to www.cpsc.gov and to www.toy-tia.org.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal