collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What kind/type of dragon is G1 Spike in theory or canonically?  (Read 805 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: What kind/type of dragon is G1 Spike in theory or canonically?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2022, 07:20:12 AM »
IIRC there was a VHS cover of Rescue at Midnight Castle or Escape from Katrina where Spike had wings and a boy was riding on his back. (Maybe prototype Danny?)  It would have been fun if he'd grown wings as the cartoon went along.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2022, 09:23:04 PM »
I feel like I should clarify, I don’t mean spike being more like the monster dragon in personality, but more so in physical characteristics. Spike is still an individual, and so can develop his own personality. Spike and the monster might be the same or closely related species, but they are two different individuals.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2022, 02:06:12 AM »
It's only after reading these posts that I realise how odd it is that Spike has ears! I just never questioned it before haha  ^.^

Interestingly G2 Princess Silver Swirl's dragon friend also has ears (and wings!) so same species?

I propose that Spike (and the aforementioned dragon) are a sort of 'domesticated' dragon breed - kind of like in domestic dogs/cats we humans tend to breed them to have features we find cute (https://www.dogwalkersmelbourne.com.au/articles-dog-walking-pet-sitting/71-dog-neoteny-puppy-love ), so Spikes' particular kind of dragon may have been bred to have ears (along with large eyes and maybe small stature?) for this reason, because it's cute and emotive to ponies/humans haha.

You could also add in that (in animated canon at least) he originally lived with Scorpan, who was a prince, and royalty were the ones to first start breeding regular dogs into lapdog breeds (see Pekingese and Italian Greyhounds) so you could make that connection also? Idk, that's just my theory haha :heart:
I finally found my grail! :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TarkanDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • Just your average 80's dragon boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2022, 11:14:09 AM »
It's only after reading these posts that I realise how odd it is that Spike has ears! I just never questioned it before haha  ^.^

Interestingly G2 Princess Silver Swirl's dragon friend also has ears (and wings!) so same species?

I propose that Spike (and the aforementioned dragon) are a sort of 'domesticated' dragon breed - kind of like in domestic dogs/cats we humans tend to breed them to have features we find cute (https://www.dogwalkersmelbourne.com.au/articles-dog-walking-pet-sitting/71-dog-neoteny-puppy-love ), so Spikes' particular kind of dragon may have been bred to have ears (along with large eyes and maybe small stature?) for this reason, because it's cute and emotive to ponies/humans haha.

You could also add in that (in animated canon at least) he originally lived with Scorpan, who was a prince, and royalty were the ones to first start breeding regular dogs into lapdog breeds (see Pekingese and Italian Greyhounds) so you could make that connection also? Idk, that's just my theory haha :heart:

Honestly I never ever thought about that. It's really a good theory and I like it. I mean somewhat it made sense about Spike's time with Scorpan. Though honestly I wish I have anything that would connect more to a domestic dragon type of thing. However I've also never brought up G2's dragon at one point but wish G2 show atleast have showed a dragon character that is like a baby dragon as well...

Not sure if there's anything else to add to this topic but then again so far I'm still waiting how other theories would there be. Sorry if I'm at one point been getting to like get more attention but honestly I want to hear more about this and see what other people have in mind and maybe we could get an answer for it at one point.

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2023, 06:08:13 PM »

Honestly I never ever thought about that. It's really a good theory and I like it. I mean somewhat it made sense about Spike's time with Scorpan. Though honestly I wish I have anything that would connect more to a domestic dragon type of thing. However I've also never brought up G2's dragon at one point but wish G2 show atleast have showed a dragon character that is like a baby dragon as well...

Not sure if there's anything else to add to this topic but then again so far I'm still waiting how other theories would there be. Sorry if I'm at one point been getting to like get more attention but honestly I want to hear more about this and see what other people have in mind and maybe we could get an answer for it at one point.

Aww thanks haha! I just remembered that in the UK, the Princess Ponies came with dragon attendants instead of Bushwoolies too (https://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/1987_princessponies.htm) so I guess that further adds to the royal connection?

The only animated G2 media we got are the cutscenes for the PC game unfortunately, I think the lack of animated media is partially due to the fact that the line was only distributed in the US for 1 1/2 years (the line ran for 7 years in total but was exclusive to Europe) and during this time period 'toytoons' seemed to be more of an American thing?  :P

Either way it's pretty neat that we have a dragon in one form or another existing in all 5 'proper' MLP generations ('proper' not counting any of the .5 gens)  ^.^
I finally found my grail! :heart:

Offline dippindot

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2023, 12:04:31 PM »
Hopefully 4 months isn't too long to ressurect a thread, because I started looking into this last night and now I have OPINIONS about this topic  :whoa:

Warning: Overthinking and pictures ahead, strap yourselves in

Disclaimer: I stand by none of my theories, I think Spike is whatever kind of dragon is the most fun!

That said, someone had to design the little guy. What might they have had in mind with his design? Why does he have ears? Why no wings? Why was he living with Tirac before the ponies came along? Maybe he's just a generic 80's fantasy dragon hodgepodge? They were selling toys, so they might not have been that invested in Spike's specifics (but I sure am going to be, lol)

I started by looking at Rescue at Midnight Castle from 1984, since far as I can tell, that's Spike's first appearance (unless he was a toy before then, in which case  :shrug:)

I spied 4 names of interest in the credits:

Animation Supervisor
John Ahern

Model Design
Takashi
George Goode
Jerry Eisenberg

My guess is that these guys would have had a say in the design of the characters. I'm sure there were people from Hasbro with fingers in the mix as well, but I have no idea who how or when, so I'll stick with these fellas.

Takashi right off the bat is kind of a bust because they didn't credit his surname, so lets set him aside for the moment.

IMDB time!

Ahern is pretty interesting on his own as an animator; he was an inbetweener and assistant animator on tons of Disney films, all the way back to Lady and the Tramp and Sleeping Beauty! He was also an animator on a 1978 film called Metamorphoses, which we'll come back to. For our purposes, I think the most relevant credit is in 1983 - animation supervisor for a Dungeons & Dragons animated TV show.

For reference:

Moving on to George Goode, I see a familiar credit - 1983, Dungeons & Dragons.

Jerry Eisenberg... No D&D. Hm. But he DID work on Metamorphoses.

What the heck kind of movie is that, anyways? I pull up Metamorphoses and what's this?

Who is this director? Takashi Masunaga? Is that OUR Takashi?

Yes, yes it is. Model designer for My Little Pony Tales AND 1983 Dungeons & Dragons.

To recap, we have 4 guys responsible for animation and model design who have worked together before, and 3 who worked together on a Dungeon's and Dragons animated show. I think at this point we can safely say that there's a good, solid chance that they are aware of D&D specific dragons and draconic creatures, AND that that knowledge may have worked it's way into Spike's designs.

Drake would a very valid choice for Spike's creature type. It's a dragon type creature with four legs and no wings that fits his description very well. But Spike is always saying he's a baby DRAGON, so for his sake, I'm going to keep looking for a dragon.

Of course, that wouldn't be a dragon from the current list of a bajillion dragons that D&D has these days, it would be whatever they had available in 1983-1984.

To the Internet Archive!

Specifically, to the Monster Manual II, published in 83.

Look at this guy!

Look at those ears! and those spikes! and that boxy nose!

I'm sold, I think Spike is a shadow dragon, personally.

But let's KEEP GOING! To some still unanswered questions.

Why doesn't Spike have wings?
Your mileage may vary depending on your willingness to go with G4 explanations for a G1 character, but I'm inclined to think it's because he's a baby. He'll molt one day and get wings like he did in G4.

But he could also be a drake, or a dragon-drake hybrid, or any other explanation that is cool.

More critically, I'd say Spike doesn't have wings because that would have made him a terrible hostage in Rescue at Midnight Castle.

Why does he have cute little ears?
I haven't watched all of the D&D cartoon, but I think we can pick up some design cues just from the dragon on the cover, specifically THIS guy -

who has what looks very much like ears to me. Maybe they are horns. Maybe they are frills. But ear-like protrusions seem to be perfectly acceptable for this big honking hydra dragon monstrosity, as well as for the shadow dragon artwork in the official D&D monster manual, so I'm just going to conclude that dragons can have ears.

But why are his ears so cute and cat-like?
More to they point, I think they are cute and pony-like, in the pony show for little kids who like ponies, so my personal opinion is just that they were made cute and triangular to better match the style of the show. That's pretty meta and not much of an in-universe explanation though, so go wild!

In conclusion, if anyone wants references for Spike as an adult dragon/drake, I think it's a great idea to look at Dungeons & Dragons in general for inspiration, and the 1983 animated show specifically.

:coffee:

CloudBurst Reference

Signature is rotating, PM for artist info! : )

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2023, 12:11:14 PM »
Neat detective work Crystal
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2023, 01:02:58 PM »
Spike's toy came before the cartoon, yeah. I'm not sure if any of the characters that exist in both the toyline AND the cartoon, were designed for the cartoon first. Maybe the Bushwoolies?

(oh, and the Furbobs - their toys were cancelled - but didn't the timing there suggest they were created for the cartoon and then adopted by Hasbro, or am I misremembering?)

But yeah, it'd be a Hasbro designer that came up with Spike, though of course the cartoon peeps had to adapt his design. It wouldn't surprise me if their take on the character had some influence from the D&D cartoon, I think other people on here (who've actually watched the D&D toon, lol) said Twilight's teleportation ability is likely inspired by Uni?

Offline dippindot

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2023, 01:11:06 PM »
Spike's toy came before the cartoon, yeah.

Well it was a fun theory while it lasted   :sad:

Post Merge: April 24, 2023, 01:20:11 PM

New theory: someone at Hasbro color inverted Pete's Dragon and left the wings off to save plastic?  :yikes:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 01:20:11 PM by dippindot »

CloudBurst Reference

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2023, 03:14:33 PM »
Yeah, the character designs were based on the toys in G1.  But if you watch the D&D cartoon episode "Valley of the Unicorns" you can see some influence for the setting.

- beautiful pastoral valley which is the home of magical equines
- rainbow waterfall, just like in Rescue at Midnight Castle
- D&D unicorns can teleport, which I presume is why Twilight (and, later, all G1 unicorns) had this power. Even the sound effect is the same.

Maybe MLP 'n Friends was set in D&D all along, it would explain all the monsters. :P
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline dippindot

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2023, 07:17:28 PM »
Do either of you happen to  know when exactly the first Spike toy was introduced? I wanted to look that up when I started getting interested in this discussion, but I couldn’t think of where to start looking for that info

CloudBurst Reference

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2023, 10:25:55 PM »
Yeah, the character designs were based on the toys in G1.  But if you watch the D&D cartoon episode "Valley of the Unicorns" you can see some influence for the setting.

- D&D unicorns can teleport, which I presume is why Twilight (and, later, all G1 unicorns) had this power. Even the sound effect is the same.

Maybe MLP 'n Friends was set in D&D all along, it would explain all the monsters. :P

:thumb:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline TarkanDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • Just your average 80's dragon boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2023, 04:10:59 AM »
Wow. After a month I can't believe that this is resurrected and finally give some answers almost.

Hopefully 4 months isn't too long to ressurect a thread, because I started looking into this last night and now I have OPINIONS about this topic  :whoa:

Warning: Overthinking and pictures ahead, strap yourselves in

Disclaimer: I stand by none of my theories, I think Spike is whatever kind of dragon is the most fun!

That said, someone had to design the little guy. What might they have had in mind with his design? Why does he have ears? Why no wings? Why was he living with Tirac before the ponies came along? Maybe he's just a generic 80's fantasy dragon hodgepodge? They were selling toys, so they might not have been that invested in Spike's specifics (but I sure am going to be, lol)

I started by looking at Rescue at Midnight Castle from 1984, since far as I can tell, that's Spike's first appearance (unless he was a toy before then, in which case  :shrug:)

I spied 4 names of interest in the credits:

Animation Supervisor
John Ahern

Model Design
Takashi
George Goode
Jerry Eisenberg

My guess is that these guys would have had a say in the design of the characters. I'm sure there were people from Hasbro with fingers in the mix as well, but I have no idea who how or when, so I'll stick with these fellas.

Takashi right off the bat is kind of a bust because they didn't credit his surname, so lets set him aside for the moment.

IMDB time!

Ahern is pretty interesting on his own as an animator; he was an inbetweener and assistant animator on tons of Disney films, all the way back to Lady and the Tramp and Sleeping Beauty! He was also an animator on a 1978 film called Metamorphoses, which we'll come back to. For our purposes, I think the most relevant credit is in 1983 - animation supervisor for a Dungeons & Dragons animated TV show.

For reference:

Moving on to George Goode, I see a familiar credit - 1983, Dungeons & Dragons.

Jerry Eisenberg... No D&D. Hm. But he DID work on Metamorphoses.

What the heck kind of movie is that, anyways? I pull up Metamorphoses and what's this?

Who is this director? Takashi Masunaga? Is that OUR Takashi?

Yes, yes it is. Model designer for My Little Pony Tales AND 1983 Dungeons & Dragons.

To recap, we have 4 guys responsible for animation and model design who have worked together before, and 3 who worked together on a Dungeon's and Dragons animated show. I think at this point we can safely say that there's a good, solid chance that they are aware of D&D specific dragons and draconic creatures, AND that that knowledge may have worked it's way into Spike's designs.

Drake would a very valid choice for Spike's creature type. It's a dragon type creature with four legs and no wings that fits his description very well. But Spike is always saying he's a baby DRAGON, so for his sake, I'm going to keep looking for a dragon.

Of course, that wouldn't be a dragon from the current list of a bajillion dragons that D&D has these days, it would be whatever they had available in 1983-1984.

To the Internet Archive!

Specifically, to the Monster Manual II, published in 83.

Look at this guy!

Look at those ears! and those spikes! and that boxy nose!

I'm sold, I think Spike is a shadow dragon, personally.

But let's KEEP GOING! To some still unanswered questions.

Why doesn't Spike have wings?
Your mileage may vary depending on your willingness to go with G4 explanations for a G1 character, but I'm inclined to think it's because he's a baby. He'll molt one day and get wings like he did in G4.

But he could also be a drake, or a dragon-drake hybrid, or any other explanation that is cool.

More critically, I'd say Spike doesn't have wings because that would have made him a terrible hostage in Rescue at Midnight Castle.

Why does he have cute little ears?
I haven't watched all of the D&D cartoon, but I think we can pick up some design cues just from the dragon on the cover, specifically THIS guy -

who has what looks very much like ears to me. Maybe they are horns. Maybe they are frills. But ear-like protrusions seem to be perfectly acceptable for this big honking hydra dragon monstrosity, as well as for the shadow dragon artwork in the official D&D monster manual, so I'm just going to conclude that dragons can have ears.

But why are his ears so cute and cat-like?
More to they point, I think they are cute and pony-like, in the pony show for little kids who like ponies, so my personal opinion is just that they were made cute and triangular to better match the style of the show. That's pretty meta and not much of an in-universe explanation though, so go wild!

In conclusion, if anyone wants references for Spike as an adult dragon/drake, I think it's a great idea to look at Dungeons & Dragons in general for inspiration, and the 1983 animated show specifically.

:coffee:

Y'know it's interesting how you at one point find out that MLP G1 and D&D SHARE the same universe. Which also explains why humans were present in G1.
Although I do remember that someone tried to do a cross over of MLP:FIM with D&D: https://friendshipisdragons.thecomicseries.com/

I'd say that maybe MLP G1 would work with a cross over of D&D instead of FIM.

And oh as for Spike... I have never thought about a Shadow dragon would be close to the kind. And I like how somehow you pointed out about ears actually being Pony-like ears which I guess makes sense with trying to match the show's style and I agree... I really loved the MLP G1's style to be more interesting.

Which by the way there was a official D&D MLP crossover toys or boardgame as well.

Honestly you did a good work with research and all and you really brought something that we didn't even know about.
So Great Job! I'll let everyone else do their theories but honestly this is the most impressive theory or research that someone would ever come up with. So I would props to you that. And also thank you as well.

(also if there's anything more to add about your theory please let me know. I can't wait to hear more as well.)

Spike's toy came before the cartoon, yeah. I'm not sure if any of the characters that exist in both the toyline AND the cartoon, were designed for the cartoon first. Maybe the Bushwoolies?

(oh, and the Furbobs - their toys were cancelled - but didn't the timing there suggest they were created for the cartoon and then adopted by Hasbro, or am I misremembering?)

But yeah, it'd be a Hasbro designer that came up with Spike, though of course the cartoon peeps had to adapt his design. It wouldn't surprise me if their take on the character had some influence from the D&D cartoon, I think other people on here (who've actually watched the D&D toon, lol) said Twilight's teleportation ability is likely inspired by Uni?

Wow. I didn't know Furbobs originally going to have their own toys... but honestly if there is one either if it's a prototype or something then we get more info as well.
although maybe we misremembered but then again if there is a Furbob toy that exists and was never released then it's part of the collective history and also a curtian character that would get a spotlight for a toy.

Yeah I kinda feel like G1 Twilight was inspired by Uni at one point. but yeah...

Yeah I thought the same thing. Maybe also MLP 'n Friends and D&D were set in the same universe.

Do either of you happen to  know when exactly the first Spike toy was introduced? I wanted to look that up when I started getting interested in this discussion, but I couldn’t think of where to start looking for that info

If I remember there was a documentary series. and it's "TOYS THAT MADE US" on netflix. Honestly I really like the documentary and somehow I really amused how it was made this franchise.

Though the documentary had not at one point mentioned anything or briefly mentions about D&D.

and great to know that you're interested on this discussion. And as for helping to find info. I suggest maybe do some research of the show and media or such. I couldn't exactly tell what other stuff that may be useful for research. But take dippindot's as an example.. I'm sure you would find something useful.

That's all I have to say right now. I wish you guys luck and also I might be busy so I may not be able to respond. So, keep this discussion going. and good luck out there!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 05:00:30 AM by TarkanDragon »

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2023, 07:47:15 AM »
The Furbob protos were shown at a Pony Fair a couple of years ago, they were supposed to be attendants for the second set of Princesses (like how the original princesses came with Bushwoolies/baby dragons):

https://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=380943.msg1566772#msg1566772
https://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=380943.msg1566793#msg1566793

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal