collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: American Girl  (Read 44408 times)

Offline Itcheeee

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: American Girl
« Reply #180 on: September 28, 2016, 09:09:20 PM »
Pretty weird question, but I'm not really on any AG websites or anything, I'm sure there are though.
Would anyone know anyone who re-hairs the historical dolls at all? I have a Molly who was made before the Mattel takeover. Her hair is almost completely gone, in the past I foolishly used real hair de-tangle spray on it among other things >_< It was so dry and frizzy the moment I took it out of the factory braids, to find she did not have that shiny hair seen in the catalog photos of it down <_<;
She means a ton to me, she was a partial gift from my grandmother who chipped in a lot so I could get her, so I won't have anything but the hair replaced. Especially the head. :/
So the official doll hospital is not for consideration. I asked them in the store once, and was told yes, there's a huge risk you would lose her head if they even do Molly's now (that was 2+ years ago)
I'd take a picture of the poor girl if I had her on hand, she's with my family for the time being stored safely.
If someone here does this, I'd be eternally grateful (and pay, of course lol!) and much more trusting :) She's just so special to me, I could never get over her head being thrown away.
Buying any and all Sonic the Hedgehog items of any kind I don't already have. Can also trade ponies of all generations.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #181 on: September 28, 2016, 10:06:42 PM »
Hi Itcheeee! :D

The Doll Hospital does only head replacements, not just wig/eye swaps from what I've been told, so that's definitely off the table for you. But there's good news: AG dolls aren't rooted! You can replace her hair yourself easily at home without any risk of her getting lost in the mail.

You just need to buy a new wig :) You can hunt around for a Molly wig on eBay or buy a different wig if you want. I don't know what the usual wig attaching stuff is for AG dolls, but other dolls use stuff like wig caps, velcro, or even nothing. Super easy to do yourself.

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2016, 01:25:51 PM »
Oh, from what I hear wig swaps is one of the easiest things to do. I haven't had a doll need it yet. You might try looking for videos on YouTube.

sailorstitch

Offline Itcheeee

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2016, 06:03:18 PM »
Hi Itcheeee! :D

The Doll Hospital does only head replacements, not just wig/eye swaps from what I've been told, so that's definitely off the table for you. But there's good news: AG dolls aren't rooted! You can replace her hair yourself easily at home without any risk of her getting lost in the mail.

You just need to buy a new wig :) You can hunt around for a Molly wig on eBay or buy a different wig if you want. I don't know what the usual wig attaching stuff is for AG dolls, but other dolls use stuff like wig caps, velcro, or even nothing. Super easy to do yourself.
I had no idea they used wigs XD This makes so much more sense, then being super closely rooted or something haha

I'm keeping my eyes out for an original Molly wig to show up on ebay, I saw a few sold recently too. Thanks so much for the info, I might get her fixed up in time for Christmas :D <3

Post Merge: September 29, 2016, 06:04:33 PM

Oh, from what I hear wig swaps is one of the easiest things to do. I haven't had a doll need it yet. You might try looking for videos on YouTube.

sailorstitch

I looked up some videos, and it seems super easy!  I would never think it would be that simple lol Thanks :D
Buying any and all Sonic the Hedgehog items of any kind I don't already have. Can also trade ponies of all generations.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2016, 06:57:35 PM »
I'm glad I could help! Hopefully Molly can get fixed up for Christmas but if not at least she'll know what her belated Christmas present will be xD

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2016, 03:13:25 PM »
So pony pals, I'd like your opinion. I've been toying around with the idea of crocheting stuff to sell this holiday season. Because honestly I'd like a thanksgiving this year rather than pick up retail like I normally do. How well does doll size stuff go over? My specialty in general is character hats. I tried out a pattern with the character gir today. From what I've looked at online it looks like super basic hats go for $3 and character hats $7-10 depending on how elaborate the piece is.

I apologize with how terrible Addy's hair is. Her hair has always been a pain in the behind. At least this trial got her out of a box and a rubber band removed from her hair.  :blink:

My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 06, 2016, 05:16:03 PM »
I've been wanting some doll sized character hats to match my own character hats!

sailorstitch

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2016, 11:25:05 AM »

My toys R Us got the Wellie Wishers from American Girl. I was surprised to see them. They were with the baby dolls.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2016, 03:12:50 PM »
Normally at this time of year I already have a wishlist... this time though, I don't.  I don't really want anything from AG at this point... I want to get my dollhouse in order.  And that hasn't happened yet. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2016, 06:19:05 AM »
How awesome Ponyfan! I just found out that my TRU has them too! We're going to check them out on Monday :D

Aw ): At least you know what you do want lovesbabysquirmy? I hope you can do it!

I just got the October catalogue in the mail. I got two copies (addressed to different "families") and they're drastically different. Only the cover (aside from a graphic on the side), inside flap, and Bittie/Wellie pages (ordered differently) are the same. One looks like a holiday version and has beautiful photos of all the Historicals, minus Addy, with blurbs about their winter celebrations and is a good bit larger. The other is pretty standard. Is this normal? Do they just send a random one to people? That sounds like a great way to pile up the complaints on Facebook...

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2016, 09:25:38 AM »
How awesome Ponyfan! I just found out that my TRU has them too! We're going to check them out on Monday :D

Aw ): At least you know what you do want lovesbabysquirmy? I hope you can do it!

I just got the October catalogue in the mail. I got two copies (addressed to different "families") and they're drastically different. Only the cover (aside from a graphic on the side), inside flap, and Bittie/Wellie pages (ordered differently) are the same. One looks like a holiday version and has beautiful photos of all the Historicals, minus Addy, with blurbs about their winter celebrations and is a good bit larger. The other is pretty standard. Is this normal? Do they just send a random one to people? That sounds like a great way to pile up the complaints on Facebook...

Sounds like you got the Holiday Wish Book, plus the regular catalogue!  Congrats!  The Wish Book is what they send to their customers BEFORE they become loyal - once you become loyal, they won't send you much of anything so cherish your catalogues.  They don't send them often!  A few years from now, someone will likely want to pay you for that Wish Book (they are collectible, in a way) so keep it somewhere so it doesn't get bent, creased, etc. :) 

They stopped sending catalogues in Canada last year- claimed it cost too much.  They were able to bombard my husband with catalogues 4x a year before they officially "expanded" and now have a Canadian Head Office - but that means that lots of merchandise can't be imported here now, they don't send catalogues, there is no "free shipping with only a $10 surcharge", the loyalty programs aren't available to us (AG Rewards or Register Your Doll), plus we are NOT getting AG in our TRU stores, nor Kohl's, nor Costco.  :(  we have Chapters Indigo which is lovely for sure, but it doesn't carry everything and they have their own restrictions on coupons, loyalty programs, etc.

And as you have seen, general coupons and promo codes from AG are just about impossible to get.  :( 

My husband says that he will only build my dollhouse if I draw him blueprints and AUTO-CAD, so that all he has to do is cut the wood and prep the screw holes.  Which I haven't done any architectural designs in .... uhhhhhh  12 years?  So I feel like it's a convenient way for him to push my project to the side "because she'll never get around to it."  :(  Also I can't afford for any of his woodworking friends to build it for me.  Soooooooo...  yeah. 

In the meantime, my doll stuff piles up and gets trashed by my child because "you told her she could play with it, you aren't allowed to go back on that.  Don't want her breaking your stuff?  Shouldn't have told her she could play!  I'm not watching her.  Get rid of the breakables before I hear any more whining about it."  :(  Yeah.  I said I had no problem with her playing under supervision - which meant he would have to watch her when I'm at work.  Oh noes! 

Anyone know of any good designs for an AG doll house that can be locked?  I'm wanting some kind of front-opening cabinet with plexiglass doors...  2 or 3 rooms tall.  It has to accommodate both Felicity's high-poster bed as well as Maryellen's Diner...  Everytime I Google, I only get massive dollhouse complexes that fit in a playroom or I get so many miniatures displayed in museums, it makes me dizzy trying to see the details! 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 09:34:05 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline JazzMatazz

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2016, 03:57:23 PM »

Anyone know of any good designs for an AG doll house that can be locked?  I'm wanting some kind of front-opening cabinet with plexiglass doors...  2 or 3 rooms tall.  It has to accommodate both Felicity's high-poster bed as well as Maryellen's Diner...  Everytime I Google, I only get massive dollhouse complexes that fit in a playroom or I get so many miniatures displayed in museums, it makes me dizzy trying to see the details! 

I'll grab some measurements from my dad's shelving in the basement. It fit's Felicity's high poster bed just fine, just not the old school giant backdrops from pleasant company. And I'll grab some photos, it's an excuse to play.

I haven't gotten a wishbook in years. Every now and then they send us one. I think our last was 2010ish? Every 5 or so years we seem to get one since I grew up out of them and my mom stopped buying.
My Wishlist  Instagram

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 09, 2016, 08:51:12 PM »
So pony pals, I'd like your opinion. I've been toying around with the idea of crocheting stuff to sell this holiday season. Because honestly I'd like a thanksgiving this year rather than pick up retail like I normally do. How well does doll size stuff go over? My specialty in general is character hats. I tried out a pattern with the character gir today. From what I've looked at online it looks like super basic hats go for $3 and character hats $7-10 depending on how elaborate the piece is.

I apologize with how terrible Addy's hair is. Her hair has always been a pain in the behind. At least this trial got her out of a box and a rubber band removed from her hair.  :blink:

That's super cute.  :)

Head's up that Costco has begun getting their holiday merchandise, including a dark brown AG horse for $49.99.  Haven't seen the gift cards yet, though.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #193 on: October 10, 2016, 12:40:03 AM »
Thanks so much lovesbabysquirmy! I thought one might be the Wish Book but I wasn't quite sure. I'm guessing the Wish Book is the smaller one. At the beginning there's a spread about the quality of the dolls and the whole set up is totally different from normal catalogues. Very white and mostly flat lays instead of modeled photos. It definitely feels like its meant to attract adults!

There have been so many complaints on Facebook about the loss of catalogues in Canada. I get that they might have to make a second catalogue but it seems like it would be worth it to actually advertise in all the countries that have stores of some kind... Plus then they could explain right in the catalogue that only some of the AG lines are available in Canada. Maybe that would help people understand instead of be frustrated trying to place orders online for things that don't seem to exist. (Based on the complaints I've seen.) I just really don't get it. AG is just like... bafflingly behind the times.

I'm so sorry your husband is being kind of a jerk about your dolls, that's awful of him ): At the very least he could actually watch his kid! That's so rude. How would he feel if she trashed his stuff because you didn't watch her? Ugh. Unsupportive family are so frustrating. Its got to be worse with a partner. Either way, I hope you're able to find some measurements you can use as a starting point! It sounds like it'll be better for everyone once the dollhouse is all taken care of.

Offline JazzMatazz

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 11, 2016, 10:20:55 AM »
lovesbabysquirmy,

An idea on height, you can adjust the shelves for however tall you want them my dad was using up scrap lumber to build these shelves. Though you'd have to design doors for them. Really basic nothing too pretty going on here. You can sort of see how he's notched the lumber to fit together.

Obviously needs several inches lower on the shelf to accommodate her bed.

More furniture for scale

Measurments: sorry these were quick I could have done a better job but hopefully it's a nice starting point for you?
63 x46 wide and roughly 24 inches deep.
Looks like he was using up a bunch of inch and a 1/4 plywood for shelves.

My Wishlist  Instagram

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal