collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: American Girl  (Read 44429 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: American Girl
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2016, 11:23:31 AM »
Here's my mini Samantha.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
    :lovey: :lovey: :lovey: :lovey:

I just love her. I will have to find a stand for her.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2016, 07:17:30 PM »
Congrats! She's adorable <3

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2016, 11:48:50 AM »
Has anybody heard the rumor that 2017 will be a black goty AND the LAST goty?

http://livingadollslife.blogspot.com/2016/06/rumors-lots-of-rumors-1.html

I'm not a fan of this blog. Let's just say she has issues with not giving credit where credit is due. So I'm taking this rumor with a mountain of salt! But it is an interesting idea to discuss. How would you feel if the GOTY line stopped?

sailorstitch

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2016, 12:59:38 PM »
No way. The GOTY is way too good a seller for AG. I'll believe it when I see it. :P

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2016, 01:47:15 PM »
As long as we GET a DOC for the GOTY, I'm not going to cry when the line ends.  I don't collect it really myself, just parts I like, and the prices have skyrocketed past what I think is the value, so I haven't bought anything retail GOTY since.... uhhh.... Jess?  I can't say Nicki as she was bought for me. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline sailorstitch

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2016, 07:02:21 PM »
No way. The GOTY is way too good a seller for AG. I'll believe it when I see it. :P

They do, but the last two GOTY dolls (Isabelle and Grace) haven't sold to AG's expectations. This has resulted in fire sales at the end of the year and massive overstock problems. Lea is also selling, but not meeting expectations. AG has dug themselves a hole and they have to find a way out.

sailorstitch

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2016, 08:39:49 PM »
I don't trust random rumors, but I hope we do finally get a DOC next year. The rumored one is cute so I'd be fine if she's the only, though of course I don't buy that as being the case :P But its a fun thought and I like the name Gabby.

As far as GotY ending, I don't really care? I just got into AG this year and started to "age out" originally around the time GotY happened (I don't remember any of the dolls, but I remember a special doll that I thought was based on a real girl who did something really awesome). So there's not really any specialness or nostalgia or even really much appeal with GotY for me. There's not much diversity in the line and there's only been one real redhead (Saige looks like she dyes her hair), and most of the past themes don't appeal to me at all (thankfully!). I really want Mia, Lea, and maybe Grace but most of the GotY dolls don't do anything for me (or are insanely expensive secondhand so I'm not even gonna entertain the thought).

If the line is cancelled I don't think I'd be very upset. I'd prefer more focus on the Historical dolls and fleshing out their worlds. I'd do anything for a "Welcome to [name]'s World" for more of the dolls! The modern dolls don't do as much for me, but there are some I really like. I'd love to see them flesh out the line with more options and diversity. But at the same time, I don't know. I like the idea of modern stories because those are easier to connect with. I have absolutely nothing in common with Samantha or Addy, but I loved Maryellen's story (and would've LOVED it as a kid) because we had things in common. Since she was more recent, I could identify and connect with the things in her story, like how she had at least one of the same Girl Scout songs I did. That was really cool. So I dunno. If GotY ends I hope they made some more modern-ish Historicals, like 80s/90s, even if they don't replace GotY with another modern line with books.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it end though, honestly. From what I've heard from longer term collectors GotY hasn't been doing great over the past few years. I've been checking AG's Facebook pretty often and a lot of parents seem really angry with Lea's movie. How crappy and poorly planned the premiere party things were and the actual movie itself. Some have said they won't buy Lea or regret buying her already. AG may have shot themselves in foot.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2016, 12:39:44 PM »
Thanks Taxel.  :)

I still need to get Maryellen's 2nd book. How were the reviews on Grace's movie? I've only seen parts of some of the movies but I caught Grace's on the Disney channel and it took me a while to figure out whether it was a movie or a reality show (when she in the cooking competition) . I didn't have access to an on screen cable guide at the time.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2016, 08:11:58 PM »
I don't know how Grace's movie was received, but I've seen some complaints about being "unrealistic" etc on other AG spaces. I watched it on Netflix a couple months ago and personally, I loved it. I thought it was really pretty visually and just a cute movie in general. Its a bit unrealistic, I guess, since its a movie and things magically work out, but its really not all that out there (especially compared to Lea's apparent "saving my brother from poachers" and "entering the jungle with no supplies", based on FB comments I've seen). Kids do compete in cooking shows and win so I think the complaints are suuuper nitpicky. No one wants to watch a movie of a completely average person that nothing extraordinary happens to. That would be really boring, especially for kids.

I haven't read Grace's books yet, but from what I can tell the movies seem to be different from the books in general? At least with Lea's and Grace's for sure. I watched the other AG movies on Netflix (GotY only), but I haven't read all of their books yet.

Offline sailorstitch

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2016, 07:41:22 AM »
I also watched Grace's movie on Disney Channel. The cooking competition part rubbed me the wrong way, but I think that was more due to my personal childhood experiences. Thanks to my dad I can't even watch fictional stories of kids doing extraordinary things without feeling bad about myself.

sailorstitch

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2016, 03:58:03 PM »
Hi all! Does anyone in here know the wig size for AG?

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2016, 04:57:46 PM »
I love love American Girl. I have collected since the 90's.   I have a massive collection of dolls, clothes, accessories and furniture.  It is all put away at this time because I have unruly cats.  I miss looking at all my things.  Even most of my dolls are in plastic crates.  I do so love them, but I have not bought anything for myself in a while.  My MIL did buy me a doll a year or so ago.  Oh and I was going to say that I really want the Mary Ellen doll badly.  I collect dolls from the 1950's and should have her, but my dog has a brain tumor and all my money is just gone.  No doll buying for me.  AG is so addicting.  Julie is my favorite because, she represents my childhood actually.  I tried to get everything from her line but I wasn't able to keep up after a while. LOL
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 05:00:32 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline sailorstitch

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2016, 09:34:45 AM »

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2016, 09:52:16 AM »
hannaliten - They seem to fit size 10-11, if you haven't found it yet.

tulagirl - Wow, it sounds like you have an amazing collection! I hope you're able to enjoy it outside of boxes and crates more soon. I'm so sorry to hear about your poor pooch ): I hope they recover well and you're able to add Maryellen to your collection later. She's a really lovely doll!

sailorstitch - I saw that on Facebook earlier!!! I'm completely in love with it! Now that is a beautiful doll kitchen! I want it so badly but I know realistically its not gonna happen, and I wouldn't even have anywhere to put it. Though I do love drooling and dreaming!
Of course I'm also excited about seeing more photos of the new redhead. She doesn't do a lot for me personally so far, but that is some seriously red hair! I love it!

Offline Radha

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
  • It goes ding when there's stuff!
    • View Profile
    • Tactile Memories
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2016, 10:11:18 AM »
  Oh, I'm late to the party but I too have fallen in love with AG.  My personal collection is small (Caroline, Addy, and a lovely WB Sam) but I built a dollhouse for DD8 and she has a small collection of her own.  I enjoy fixing up the dolls just like I do fixing up ponies :heart: visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Has anyone on this thread mentioned the Costco gift cards yet? If you live near one you can sometimes get AG giftcards at a 20% discount, and then if you use them during sales it's even better.  If the Wellie Wishers are included in any sales that plus the giftcards could help make them more affordable.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal