collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Commissioning A Pony Art Drawing?  (Read 305 times)

Offline BrinnyTheBrave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Commissioning A Pony Art Drawing?
« on: August 08, 2013, 08:05:35 PM »
I want to commission a simple coloured drawing from this person on DeviantArt:

http://scarleykwinn.deviantart.com/gallery/

I guess I'm asking if anyone has heard of them? They say that they'll draw before I pay, but I'm not 100% comfortable with that. So yeah, I dunno... can you give me some advice?  :lookround:

Please and thank you :3

[moving to Art ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 03:37:33 PM by hathorcat »

Offline Aerora

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Commissioning A Pony Art Drawing?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 11:00:43 PM »
Honestly, if they're willing to do the art before you pay, that's... very trusting of them? I see a lot of artists getting scammed out of payment for art they've already done, and subsequently asking for at least partial payment up front. Technically they're the one taking a risk, not you :P

That said, they have ~180 watchers, and their name doesn't autofill in google - probably they're not a particularly well-known artist. If you're that worried, I'd suggest contacting a user who's commissioned them in the past and asking if they'd recommend them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:03:57 PM by Aerora »

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 11:10:27 PM »
Here's a really good guide on commissioning an artist.  http://arynchris.deviantart.com/journal/How-to-Commission-an-Artist-214212067

If she's offered to draw it before you pay, I think you're fine. Sometimes you just have to trust your gut more than other's opinions. You can always google for them to see if they have any complaints against them, and go from there. But I think you're okay.

The pony fan art community has grown by leaps and bounds due to FIM and it might be hard to find someone on the Arena who has dealt with your potential artist. If you're in doubt, trust your own instincts.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline BrinnyTheBrave

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 01:34:46 AM »
Here's a really good guide on commissioning an artist.  http://arynchris.deviantart.com/journal/How-to-Commission-an-Artist-214212067

If she's offered to draw it before you pay, I think you're fine. Sometimes you just have to trust your gut more than other's opinions. You can always google for them to see if they have any complaints against them, and go from there. But I think you're okay.

The pony fan art community has grown by leaps and bounds due to FIM and it might be hard to find someone on the Arena who has dealt with your potential artist. If you're in doubt, trust your own instincts.

i decided against them and am trying to find someone else.  ^.^ i feel bad though, but.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal