collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any weather enthusiasts/storm chasers here?  (Read 1218 times)

zenith

• Trade Count: (0)
Any weather enthusiasts/storm chasers here?
« on: February 01, 2016, 02:44:20 PM »
One of my favorite things to do when I am able is to go storm chasing across the Great Plains.  I've chased a total of 8 states (Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico) and have seen a total of 3 legitimate tornadoes, all in Colorado.

Anyone else here like to watch severe weather or just weather in general?

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
Re: Any weather enthusiasts/storm chasers here?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 03:27:26 PM »
I like watching WINTER weather, which we've had practically none this year!  :sad:

I could do without severe weather altogether, to be honest.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

|My Collection|

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 04:47:50 PM »
I live in the land of thunderstorms and hurricanes. I'm afraid I'm not terribly impressed.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 05:17:02 PM »
live in Kansas and as much as I like and appreciate the weather.... I rather go hide when the sirens go off.
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 06:04:53 PM »
I'd love to see a real tornado, but from a very safe distance and location, with no chance of harm.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Princess Lala

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 07:38:10 PM »
My husband is! He was actually in collage studying meteorology but he changed his school to take classes for cyber security/program engineering all the techy computer stuff xD

Time to time we will go out, we have the vehicle and knowledge for it to keep safe and hey he knows his stuff! We have intercepted two funnels but they weren't tornadoes. We absolutely love watching hail from underneath car washes! We are just intrigued by the beauty of raw nature and how it will take everything from you if it wants to. Much respect.

What is hilarious is my area of Texas doesn't get hit by tornadoes. We will have to drive out of the county to see anything crazy. Everyone is scared to come here because everyone stereotypes everywhere in Texas as tornado Alley, truth is I have never seen a tornado here in Frisco/McKinney/Plano/Allen/Fairview/Anna. Its usually near Oklahoma City, south of Dallas, or out closer near Lubbock or Armarillo. My little tiny county gets ice storms if any! xD

Now I have been IN tornados before bit not in Texas. I lived on the county line of Indiana an  EF4 tornado tornado (the cell that hit van wort, OH) hit us and my house was shown in the news. Half our house was gone and I lost darn near alllll my Pokemon toys. I wasn't until I was in that bad one I stopped being afraid, I was then amazed. I've been inside a total of four, all of them in Indiana as a kid. In Minnesota we didn't have any, same with Florida.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:07:29 PM by Princess Lala »

zenith

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 06:38:22 AM »
I'd love to see a real tornado, but from a very safe distance and location, with no chance of harm.

So...something like this?

@Princess Lala I've only ever seen tornadoes in Colorado, despite dozens of chases across many other states.  Last year an EF3 went through a nearby town, but thanks to where I was positioned at the time, it looked like it had formed and dropped somewhere in the city I live in.

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 08:42:28 AM »
Watching a blizzard from my living room now...
:socks:   :frog:

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 08:47:10 AM »
I watch the weather too, be it DVDs, or just what's going on outside, though I need to see at least lightning before decide to watch.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 10:27:24 AM »
Yep--I wanted to be a storm chaser when I was 9.

I love seeing violent weather, but I now like doing it from the safety of my garage or back yard.  For a tornado though, its still get down into the basement.

This area has been a hot spot for them--especially in the middle of the night ._.  Nothing super strong but still a pain in the butt...they are NOT fun when you cant see them!

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 03:49:41 PM »
I was in a tornado a couple years ago. I mean really. It went right across my house. For real! I even saw it happen... it was about 11pm and suddenly the wind started whipping the trees like crazy...

It was an EF 0! But it was a legitimate tornado! It totally knocked dead branches off my trees, and tipped over my neighbor's garbage cans.

I'm a survivor!

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline shimmer73083

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 05:40:48 PM »
I find my self a bit obsessed with the weather. About two weeks ago we had a blizzard come through that was the 4th largest snowstorm this area (Philly) has seen. I was glued to the weather reporting on TV all day and it was cozy to watch inside from my couch. Driving in bad weather like ice though, no thanks!

I also love a good thunderstorm though tornados would scare me. We had a tornado watch last spring/summer and I was about to scrub the bathroom in order to hide in it, lol. I also like watching hurricanes too.

I think it will be interesting to see how the weather changes with El Nino, global warming, etc.

zenith

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 07:51:24 PM »
I find my self a bit obsessed with the weather. About two weeks ago we had a blizzard come through that was the 4th largest snowstorm this area (Philly) has seen. I was glued to the weather reporting on TV all day and it was cozy to watch inside from my couch. Driving in bad weather like ice though, no thanks!

I also love a good thunderstorm though tornados would scare me. We had a tornado watch last spring/summer and I was about to scrub the bathroom in order to hide in it, lol. I also like watching hurricanes too.

I think it will be interesting to see how the weather changes with El Nino, global warming, etc.

We just experienced a sizable blizzard here in Colorado that dumped up to two feet of snow in various places.  It was fun to watch the snow accumulate but an absolute nightmare to drive around in later the next day.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 02:11:33 AM »
We got stuck in the open field during a thunderstorm last summer. It wasn't fun. :bolt: We didn't see it coming and we don't have those fancy cell phones with internet and such, so the storm took us by surprise.
In hindsight it's a cool story to tell people, but it was one of the scariest moments in my life, and I'm still so grateful that we made it out alive. I never want to experience this again, EVER. :shocked:

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 11:05:55 AM »
I live in Oklahoma so I get to experience a lot of weather.  :)  Some of the ladies at my office are terrified of any wind over 10 mph so in the spring one of my unofficial duties is to monitor the weather by watching live streams from chasers in the area. 

Last spring I was at a birthday party at one of those adult Chuck E. Cheese places.  Around 9 PM we'd just finished playing laser tag and as we passed the front doors I thought I heard a storm siren, so I checked my phone - we were in an active tornado warning and were being told to take cover.  None of the staff had heard the sirens because it was so loud in there.  I asked where we should go and no one knew.  I was streaming a local weather broadcast on my phone and the weatherman was giving street by street information for which areas were in the path of the storm.  He said a funnel cloud had been identified by trained spotters and it was a very dangerous situation and people needed to take cover immediately.  To my utter horror he named the intersection where I live.  My only thought was, all my cats are home alone. 

I don't remember driving home.  It was pouring and I was very far away but I must have broken all kinds of speed limits getting back.  When I got there it was over, but a small tornado had dropped only a few miles away from my house in an open field and everyone I know had been trying to call me to check on me.  The cats were unimpressed and had all been sleeping.  That's the closest I have ever come to a tornado, though I do have to take cover several times a year during bad storms. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal