collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My First Real Drawing  (Read 675 times)

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
My First Real Drawing
« on: September 12, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »
Here's a little something I've been putting on the backburner for a while, and was able to finish up recently.  There are a few pony-related things I've been wanting to draw for a while, and this is one of them. It's the first pony drawing (or any kind of drawing) that I've put some real effort and attention to detail into.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I don't think it turned out half-bad, especially considering I admittedly don't have much in the way of drawing talent. (Ironically, as a drafter, I make drawings for a living, albeit a different sort of drawing.)

Interesting tidbit about this one: This actually started out as a ponified heavy metal album cover (something I'd like to do more of), but I ended up removing the text, thus the large amount of relatively empty space at the top.  I figured I'd make a version without it since the text was Cyrillic (the album cover this is based off of is from a Russian band), and most people don't know how to read it (I also may have made a spelling error).

In any case, I know a number of you here are quite good artists, and I was wondering if any of you had any kind of advice to give me to get this looking good.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: My First Real Drawing
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 04:07:55 AM »
Oh I can see this as a stylised album cover - very clever. I love the NMM shadow . Very impressive for your first artwork! :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 09:18:31 PM »
That is very good :)

kittyberry

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 09:24:23 PM »
that's pretty darn fab for a first real piece! you have a definite style developing and i dig it.

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 04:40:29 AM »
I agree with everyone above, you did an awesome job if this is your first polished drawing! There are so many clever and well-executed effects like the NMM shadow on the wall, the ray of moonlight (and the light spot on the ceiling!), the shimmery manes of the princesses, the glowing Elements of Harmony... I also find your draughtsman skills beautifully represented in the background and the perspective of the room. The ponies perhaps look a little flat in comparison -- it's more noticeable with Luna, Celestia's turned head gives an illusion of movement and makes her look more three-dimensional. But I'm sure it's something that comes with time, your skills in spatial perception are a promising start and with a little practice you'll sure be able to translate those skills into drawing living creatures. :) I hope to see more of your pony works soon!

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 07:27:25 AM »
For a first drawing this is great! I can make a couple of suggestions- maybe take the ray of light effect away from Celestia's hair. She seems to be too much further into the foreground for that ray of light to be hitting her. The only other thing I would change to give it more flow would be to lower the window and the moon so the light is directed more toward Luna, then flip the shadow on the wall to match Luna's head position, to make it look as though the light of the moon is casting the shadow ^^ You really did do a very nice job, though. I think with some practice you could go a long way, you have a good sense of colour and composition.

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 08:30:17 PM »
I'm not much of a digital artist, so I'm afraid that I don't have much in the line of real advice here.  But I can say that I really like the shadow of Nightmare Moon, the transparency around Luna's hair, and the moonlight.  Those three things really make this picture shine for me.  :)  Really, the background is stunning.  As you practice, I think you'll find your ponies become more dynamic and will fit in better with their settings.  In this pic, your background outshines them a bit.  I don't often say that, lol.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 03:15:32 AM »
I'm not much of a digital artist, so I'm afraid that I don't have much in the line of real advice here.  But I can say that I really like the shadow of Nightmare Moon, the transparency around Luna's hair, and the moonlight.  Those three things really make this picture shine for me.  :)  Really, the background is stunning.  As you practice, I think you'll find your ponies become more dynamic and will fit in better with their settings.  In this pic, your background outshines them a bit.  I don't often say that, lol.

I'm not surprised. I have more skill with drawing buildings and machines than living things. Although I think the perspective may need some tweaking.

Offline Sukeile

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Dancing through life, Brainless and careless
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 04:50:32 AM »
It looks fantastic! I love the emotional tension in the image, and the composition is really nicely done!

I ca only agree with the advice of the others, there is not really anything more to add to what they already mentioned.

Just wanted to comment because I really liked the picture :)

Avatar by Griffin. Carebear by MistyBlue2010 and Pony by Lina. Thank you <3
Join My Little Pony Facebook group!/ My Wishlist/ My Etsy/  Polly Pocket Locket

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal