collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Actitivity on that MLPArena  (Read 7529 times)

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Actitivity on that MLPArena
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2023, 07:28:34 AM »
I am glad the Arena is still around. And where else would I get to see new releases, American conventions since I am not on Facebook? I also love ID-ing ponies and see different insights. :) I do think the uploading images should be easier instead of linking.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2023, 09:24:51 AM »
I'm old. I prefer the forum type. I'm kind of active on a MLP group on Facebook and I do have an MLPInstagram that I update rarely. I prefer it here. Every other forum I've been a member of has closed down and this is the only one left and I hope it stays. I do miss the faster pace, but at the same time it is a bit of comfort to see familiar usernames posting all the time as well and not see the interesting threads drown in others.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2023, 12:01:55 PM »
I love everyone post on this topic! Social media is very stressful at times and also agree should not be on it.

I have seen over and over how it's not good for a young mind. Another reason why our world is becoming what it is also! Its sad! :(

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2023, 01:03:04 PM »
I have facebook but it's mostly for people I've met irl and still get together to do things with.  I also love the funny meme content.  But, the rest of social media... its chaos.  And sometimes with the trolls, it seems like it's a set up to make people mad and argumentative.  No matter how positive the post is, someone has to be angry about it.  I understand that's how the public works, but it doesn't seem healthy to make our lives 100% public.
So, I don't use it unless its for work.

I do love forums though! Moderators are the best and there is nothing nicer that having lunch while reading posts about ponies and other toys.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline cowboyopossum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • So Soft Pony
  • I cannot contain my silliness | he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2023, 07:30:04 PM »
I love everyone post on this topic! Social media is very stressful at times and also agree should not be on it.

I have seen over and over how it's not good for a young mind. Another reason why our world is becoming what it is also! Its sad! :(
it really is, especially with the issue of kids not liking toys for a long time. its all based in fast-paced stuff abf i do not understand their heads anymore. i love all my ponies so much, and i have been for years... its really dissapointing what mlp is now based on what it used to be. i hope they at least have a holiday release.

Thank you Squarepeg and Wizard for my profile and sig!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2023, 04:22:28 AM »
I think the slower pace works. I do find myself spending more time on the TP but either way when it comes to forums I’m fine with it not being as fast as before. I work a lot and my life is busier than it used to be. I don’t have to feel like I’m missing out on something just because I’m not here all the time.  :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2023, 05:04:04 AM »
I think another thing is on a forum you have to read. Social media is very visually based with pictures and videos. We post pics here too, but the majority is text. I think younger generations don't want to read or even worse, don't know how to read proper words instead of U R 2 cute. I read an article some time back that people don't worry about spelling because it's always being corrected by our devices, and there will be a generation that can't spell.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2023, 02:02:01 PM »
I think another thing is on a forum you have to read. Social media is very visually based with pictures and videos. We post pics here too, but the majority is text. I think younger generations don't want to read or even worse, don't know how to read proper words instead of U R 2 cute. I read an article some time back that people don't worry about spelling because it's always being corrected by our devices, and there will be a generation that can't spell.

I find it very annoying when they can't just spell the whole word out! LOL. They even talk weird also. Stupid. :( 

Post Merge: October 20, 2023, 02:05:35 PM

it really is, especially with the issue of kids not liking toys for a long time. its all based in fast-paced stuff and i do not understand their heads anymore. i love all my ponies so much, and i have been for years... its really disappointing what mlp is now based on what it used to be. i hope they at least have a holiday release.

It's sad to see kids are not being kids anymore. I think all the new toys are just horrible looking.
Hasbro in my eyes has murdered MLP. I know there are some that do like them though. So, I am not trying to come off mean.
I wish Hasbro would back to the G3 styles, it's the closest to G1's.
I am worried about our furture with this younger society! Yes I know not all of them are bad. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 02:05:35 PM by achab1984 »

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2023, 09:06:29 PM »
I guess maybe im stubborn or I dont like social media much. Yeah its a slower pace here but its not bad. I still just love ponies. I guess im not as active as I used to be. I lurk sometimes. Im an old person here too. I dont understand why people cant read anymore that sounds weird. I dont own anything Facebook and I only have a google page. thats about it. Im content with my collection.  :lookround:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2023, 04:17:39 PM »
I guess maybe im stubborn or I dont like social media much. Yeah its a slower pace here but its not bad. I still just love ponies. I guess im not as active as I used to be. I lurk sometimes. Im an old person here too. I dont understand why people cant read anymore that sounds weird. I dont own anything Facebook and I only have a google page. thats about it. Im content with my collection.  :lookround:

Yes, its crazy that people have an attention span of a grain of rice! I also find it stressful at times to keep up with all the posts and comments on those other sites!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2023, 03:34:41 AM »
I overheard some coworkers with teenage kids talk a couple of months ago. In Sweden every school provides laptops or tablets now. They rarely have physical books and write by hand. Everything is on the computer. So they have like ten to fifteen tabs open every lesson which they switch between and they write their assignments on the computer as well. When they write a word wrong and the red stripes appear under the word, instead of making it correct, they just include it so the spelling becomes really bad and the teachers wont correct it because it takes time they don't have. I feel like school is going down hill.
Also, social media wants things to go fast. Have you seen kids going through tik tok or instagram? They give a video four seconds before deciding if it's worth watching or not and move onto the next one. My own eyes haven't even started focus on what I'm seeing at that time and if I watch a reel and want to rewatch it, at least the instagram app keeps pushing a bit of the next reel into the one I'm watching to make me switch. It's super annoying.

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2023, 06:41:13 AM »
i kind of cringe when i hear people say that non-social media type websites are dead. there's a ton of non social media websites out there. idk i think some of the panic around social media is a bit overblown. there were similar panics around books, radio, TV, video games. and a lot boils down to moral panics. i'm waiting to see what the studies are 10 years from now. there's a lot that annoys me but i'm older and easily annoyed. a lot of it just isn't for me. i still see kids playing outside all the time. playing the same way I did over 30 years ago.

if i had kids i do think i would want them to stay off social media though. the privacy aspect of it bothers me. i really hate the data collection that the largest companies do. and as a software developer i hate how there are only a handful of dominant companies who control a lot of the internet.

Social media companies are ad and data platforms. they are not there to make you happy. they will autoplay and push you to keep watching video after video to inflate their watch numbers so they can charge advertisers more and justify their fees. they don't make money off hosting your content, they make money selling your data and selling ads.

i personally hate Facebook. i don't really understand how people do like it. when i did use it and when i followed my friends and people i know IRL it was bad for me. i have a lot of anxiety about friendships and the times when i would call or text one of my friends, get no response and then see them posting away on Facebook was upsetting. or seeing photos of my friends out without me. after i moved to a different city it was even more upsetting to see. also i don't need to be reminded that most of the people i grew up with have horrible politics. i was pretty done with it after the 2012 US presidential race.

i think i'm a bit of an outlier in the way i do use social media because i purposely avoid following people i know IRL. i use it to keep up with stuff i'm interested in. when Twitter was tolerable i used it to follow journalists and extremism researchers because i'm interested in knowing what far right idiots are up to and how people are fighting back. i also used it to keep up with stuff going on in tech, labor movement stuff, etc. I don't go on instagram all that much because it's jarring to see tragic events happening next to a video of someone decorating their house for Christmas. now i use that Bluesky app some and a lot of the same people i followed on Twitter are there now.

i'm glad the Arena is still here. it's not as active as it was in 2010 or so when i first joined, but i like it better than any social media. i do wonder if some of the migration to social media is just a matter of convenience. of not having to remember to check another website. i don't think non-social media websites will die. i think it's more important than ever to keep online spaces that aren't under the control of the big tech. too many good places were bought up and shut down or left to die after they sold out. social media is a tool and shouldn't be the main place for content IMO.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2023, 09:37:24 AM »
I've noticed the lack of attention spans re: social media, too. Everything has to be instant! I HATE how some sites (like deviantART journals, don't even get me started on how badly THAT site's been butchered) now have text at the top of posts/articles/etc that give an estimate on how long it'll take you to read it. ?!?!? Who cares??? I see it with "binge watch" culture too - I moderate on a cartoon community (for a long-running series, so lots of episodes) and one of the most commonly asked questions is "How few episodes of the show can I get away with watching?" - SO many people just can't fathom the idea of watching the whole show because they're used to speeding through shows as quickly as possible! It boggles my mind!

And I agree that people just don't bother to read things properly these days, don't even get me started on THAT. x_x

What concerns me about kids on social media is how much it's been normalized to post all your personal info online. (That was awkwardly worded, sorry. I don't know how to phrase it!) Some of the things I've seen on peoples' blogs, Twitters, etc are just shocking... In my day you were taught to be careful with what you shared online, to think it through before posting personal/identifying info like real name, age, location, photos, etc. These days I see lots of people, especially younger folks, posting all of that and more - some people practically have their entire medical records easily accessible on their "about me" page - now I'll freely admit I'm guarded about my own personal info and don't share things unless I've known the other person for a long time and can trust them - but I really think we need to bring back online safety/privacy!!!

Don't get me wrong, if someone's comfortable sharing some personal info online then that's their business - share as much, or little, as you want to. I'm just saying that I really think everyone, especially kids, need to be reminded to THINK before posting this info where all and sundry can see it. A lot of them just don't seem to realize that if it's public, anyone can see it - I see so many people go "Oh no, some total stranger shared my tweet/reblogged my post/etc that I posted publically, how dare they!" - like, yeah, that's the idea of the "world wide web" ^^; I don't use TikTok personally but I've heard that's really bad for this sort of thing, too. Kids posting videos with their school's name in full view and such. I just think with how widespread the internet is these days, it'd be good to bring back Online Safety lessons etc too.

Beth, I agree that the big draw of social media is everything being in one place. In the age of forums, email groups etc you'd have to find a community specifically for your fandom (etc) but nowadays you can just go on one site and interact with multiple different communities on there. I'm not against that, but I think there's still very much room for forums and other non-social media sites! The rise of sites like Neocities gives me hope that we're starting to fight back against social media taking over the web though :)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2023, 02:04:43 PM »
I’m still here!  But many folk have come and gone over the years.

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2023, 02:33:53 PM »
O_O

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal