Creativity > Customs

Australia based customs! What do you use for your customs?

(1/1)

freezestime:
Hi!

I rescued a G3 Fashion Styling Rainbow Dash from the trash and I'm thinking of customising her, I just need to know other people's experiences and what they use.

What do you use for primer?

Do you think I could use white spray paint as a base then use vinyl paint on top for the details?Or would I have to use spray paint again?

I have a suggestion from a friend to use Jo Sonja's all purpose sealer to use for repairs, dabbing it in a certain way to make it look like the original vinyl but does anyone else have any recommendations?I'm not looking for matte or shiny, I'm looking for just the perfect G3 shine.

Also what should I do first? Spray paint the pony first then put hair in, or put hair in then spray paint? Keep in mind for her head I'll have to keep putting it in hot if not boiling water to reroot her head?

Also if I wanted to make the pony have a shimmer like the first G3 Sweetberry rainbow release, what would I use? A shimmer paint?

Cheers for any info

BlackCurtains:
I'm not in Australia, but I can offer some advice :)

I would not use spray paint. It usually doesn't dry and it doesn't last. Acrylic paint is recommended. You can brush it on or use an airbrush (but they are expensive if you're not going to customize regularly).

Some people prime their ponies but a lot of us don't.

I'm not familiar with that sealer, but generally you want to use a polyurethane sealer. I don't think you can replicate the shine from the original vinyl. Using a matte sealer is best. You can use a shimmer paint after painting the body and the symbols.

Why would you need to put the head in boiling water to rehair? I've rehaired Styling ponies and didn't need to do that. You just want to use a strong needle and go slow. You can also use a larger needle to help widen the hole before you put the hair in.

You would add the hair after painting is done.

freezestime:

--- Quote from: BlackCurtains on March 25, 2024, 10:17:15 PM ---I'm not in Australia, but I can offer some advice :)

I would not use spray paint. It usually doesn't dry and it doesn't last. Acrylic paint is recommended. You can brush it on or use an airbrush (but they are expensive if you're not going to customize regularly).

Some people prime their ponies but a lot of us don't.

I'm not familiar with that sealer, but generally you want to use a polyurethane sealer. I don't think you can replicate the shine from the original vinyl. Using a matte sealer is best. You can use a shimmer paint after painting the body and the symbols.

Why would you need to put the head in boiling water to rehair? I've rehaired Styling ponies and didn't need to do that. You just want to use a strong needle and go slow. You can also use a larger needle to help widen the hole before you put the hair in.

You would add the hair after painting is done.

--- End quote ---

Sweet thank you for your help, just wondering how much you had to pay for your air brusher? I've brushed on paint and I don't like how I kept on leaving brush strokes. I have found ones on aliexpress for $30-$40 AUD and $70 ish AUD on Amazon. And what size of needle would you recommend for the pony?

cowboyopossum:
Use watered down acrylic paint. Never use spray paint. I have heard horror stories about the chemical reactions ruining customs.
Using light coats of acrylic mixed with water prevents paint strokes. YouTube is a good resource for tutorials.

BlackCurtains:
The trick to not leaving brush strokes is to use a good quality brush and paint in several thin layers.

My airbrush was $120, it's a Badger 105 Patriot. My first airbrush was $75 and that's a Paache VL5. Both are double action. The Badger is gravity fed and the Paache is siphon. I much prefer the gravity fed. You don't have to break the bank for a nice airbrush though. I don't know if they are available in Australia, Master Airbrush sells some good brushes and compressors. - https://www.amazon.com/stores/Master+Airbrush/page/12935309-7341-4148-B742-19FDF540E8AC?ref_=ast_bln

As for needles. For a FBR I use a .5. For gradients and blush .3 and for fine details a .2

There's an article linked the Supplies thread that is helpful too :) Here it is - https://spraygunner.com/pages/airbrush-buying-guide

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version