collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sticky Pony Hair  (Read 866 times)

Offline jenpen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
Sticky Pony Hair
« on: December 30, 2019, 03:48:54 PM »
Just wanted others opinions on what is going on with my G1 Tex Big Brother Pony.  Even after I've washed him his mane and tail have a sticky feeling to them.  His body does not feel sticky.  I've heard of plasticizer leaching out of ponies bodies but not just their manes and tails.  Do you think that is what this is?  Any other ideas?  Also do you think it's safe keeping him with my other ponies or should he be quarantined?  Please let me know your thoughts.

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky Pony Hair
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 05:39:00 AM »
This happens to monster high and ever after high dolls as well. I think the glue thats used to seal in the hair, has softened and is leaking out, making the hair greasy. I suggets using baby powder to cancel out the stickiness. This will however, lighten the hair permanently and make it lose some sheen.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 06:39:45 AM »
Depending on the soap you used, it may be worth doubling up. When I have run into this I have used all three of these in tandem:
~ White Ivory soap
~ Colorless hand soap
~ Regular blue Dawn Dish soap
The problem there is that these may dry out the hair more than expected, so using a nice natural (and odorless) conditioner may be necessary to return the sheen and detangle.

I stay away from baby powder, myself. Pure corn starch (straight from a local grocery store) is more natural and does not have a composition that should compromise the nylon hair due to light exposure or other chemical reaction. Use that and gently comb it through if you just want to reduce the tackiness, then wash after combed through. Only leave it in the hair if it doesn't leave a gritty deposit.

Nylon will also (should) withstand a spritz of 50% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. I would recommend spot-testing with the alcohol first because of the age of the nylon, but I would only recommend that as a last resort.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 09:36:02 PM »
I don’t think glue was used in their hair.  It might be something that got inside him that’s leeching out.   You may need to open him up to check it out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 03:26:59 AM »
I have the same problem with my MB Sunburst... :( had him for years, nothing worked, it always came back.

Offline jenpen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 03:29:41 PM »
Thanks so much for all you responses!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal