collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cataloging ponies? Databases with checklists? (Currently using google sheets)  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Sharpskirt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
  • Steady thriftin'
    • View Profile
Hi! This is one of my first threads, I hope I've posted in the right area.

I was just wondering what some of you folks were using to keep track of what ponies you have! I'm currently using google sheets, with a separate tab for each generation that I'm collecting. I made an account with MLP Merch because I saw there was a checklist, but then I was unable to access it and use it for some reason! I've decided to use their database as my reference links in my spreadsheet, though.

I'm a library cataloger by trade, so cataloging my collectibles (mainly ponies!) is right up my alley for what's satisfying... I just kind of based it off what I use for donated book data! So yeah I suppose I was curious as to what ways work for you, and if you have any suggestions or tips! I'd love to eventually just make a website or something so that I could add pictures easily. I'd also be up for sharing my ongoing list if that's something that's appropriate, or that people want to check out (not sure if that's brag arena material or not)! I'd like to also make a separate sheet or file for ponies I'm willing to sell and trade so that I can keep track of that.

Thanks for reading :) I'm excited to hear how you track your ponies!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
I use MLPMerch primarily. I'm curious why you're unable to access it?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
MLPMerch is definitely nice - is it the whole website that's iffy or just when you use your account?

As for alternatives, Pinterest is cool. You can upload your own pictures to a board, and it allows you to make sections, so you could separate your sales/trades :)

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Sharpskirt

• Bratz Pony
  • Steady thriftin'
    • View Profile
Thanks for responding! I managed to figure out how MLP Merch worked! It's pretty awesome. I think I will use pinterest too when I start taking pictures!

This will be so much easier!  :lol:

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
I use an app called Checklist+, and fill in my own information and lists. It’s very basic, but I like it because it’s versatile, quick, and allows for converting lists into documents. It doesn’t allow for much detail or photos, which is unfortunate, but it’s great for a quick overview.

I’m a huge dweeb when it comes to cataloguing things. :P I’m relieved to know I’m not alone, lol.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
MLP Merch is quite comprehensive but despite all the efforts they've put into correcting the mistakes, the organisation of ponies and sets is not particularly intuitive, especially for users outside the US and Canada, although they have tried to make it better and I appreciate that they have.

I think it's a bit tricky having ponies made in Spain in with ponies not made in Spain and so on, but at least it's come a long way from where it started. But for me it's still incomplete and needs to sort out where Nirvana ponies belong and how some of its sets and information is structured. I tend to think of it as still being a bit of a WIP. So yeah, I don't use MLPMerch.

From a personal perspective, too, it also defaults to US names and I hate that. :)

But yeah, I have a spreadsheet for my collection. It's more or less up to date. I have pages for G1, G3, G3, G4 and also Basic Fun. There is also a page for my backcard/mip ponies from G1, as I've around 300 of them including loose cards and ponies in package. I don't really need a catalogue for G1 because I tend to remember them, but I really do need it for ther other generations. Especially G3, I often have to check it to see if I do have a certain pony or not. :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 01:11:49 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
I just use an Excel spreadsheet. It's pretty messy, but it serves its purpose!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
I forgot about Snupps! I got really tired of taking pictures for everything, but it's an option if you're primarily on your phone.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Sharpskirt

• Bratz Pony
  • Steady thriftin'
    • View Profile
You've all been so helpful!

I think I've decided - I'll run my spreadsheet for lots of detail, and use MLP Merch for quick/initial tracking. For more photo-centric stuff, I'll probably have more social media-ish stuff, maybe eventually a little personal website (as I do collect some other things)! I did notice that there was a lot of images missing when it came to Nirvana ponies. Also, generally over the few places I've looked, each place has sparse descriptive information somewhere or another - I was a little sad to see that, especially since some seems like it could be done, but hasn't been gotten around to! The only databases I've checked out are Strawberry Reef, MLP Merch, and I think My Little Wiki? Or something called along those lines. I'm pretty new so I'm sure I'll be scouring the internet for info for a while. I wonder if there's any place that's documented packaging (aside from product advertisement shots). I'm nerd enough to want scans of boxes and instruction manuals and stuff, haha :P

I think I've just learned that I can probably organize and catalog my ponies forever in many great ways  :biggrin:

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
I go a bit nuts over lists so I have a bunch of checklists on my website: https://mylittleponyaccessories.weebly.com see the checklist section :) There are also loads of MOC photos of G1 and G2 ponies :)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
You've all been so helpful!

I think I've decided - I'll run my spreadsheet for lots of detail, and use MLP Merch for quick/initial tracking. For more photo-centric stuff, I'll probably have more social media-ish stuff, maybe eventually a little personal website (as I do collect some other things)! I did notice that there was a lot of images missing when it came to Nirvana ponies. Also, generally over the few places I've looked, each place has sparse descriptive information somewhere or another - I was a little sad to see that, especially since some seems like it could be done, but hasn't been gotten around to! The only databases I've checked out are Strawberry Reef, MLP Merch, and I think My Little Wiki? Or something called along those lines. I'm pretty new so I'm sure I'll be scouring the internet for info for a while. I wonder if there's any place that's documented packaging (aside from product advertisement shots). I'm nerd enough to want scans of boxes and instruction manuals and stuff, haha :P

I think I've just learned that I can probably organize and catalog my ponies forever in many great ways  :biggrin:

I don't have a checklist or database function, and I shouldn't really be promoting it when I'm in the throes of rebuilding it to be more user friendly, but there's also my site.
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2
It is definitely not sparse on the detail, whatever other issues it may have.

It is from the UK perspective but does include all mainstream ponies (not Nirvana, I leave that to PKW and the gallery).

And it is more accurate for ponies not sold in the US than any of the sites you listed.

It really bothers me that people still use Strawberry Reef for G1 even though it hasn't been updated in forever and is full of data errors for ponies outside the US.

Anyhow, I mention it because pony packaging is actually one of my obsessions. I am not sure whether it will be what you are looking for, but I am hoping to get more of my own packaging collection up on my site as part of the ID resource. Also leaflets and other stuff, although CHrissytree's site also has a lot of those already.

Wiki does have quite a lot of MIP scans though, which is also nice.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 02:34:27 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sharpskirt

• Bratz Pony
  • Steady thriftin'
    • View Profile
Oh wow!! I think it's so wonderful that folks have been doing this work, I love having as much detail available so thanks so much! :) the packaging details are really fun to be able to go back and see too - I love watching it change over the years. Thanks so much! :) I'll add these two places to my bookmarks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal