collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3 non canon ships  (Read 2165 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: G3 non canon ships
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 03:55:40 PM »
Heart Throb x human Prince Charming.

It's hard to get more cracktastic than the canon ships.

*puts on Team Prince Charming shirt*
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 04:15:39 PM »
Heart Throb x human Prince Charming.

It's hard to get more cracktastic than the canon ships.

*puts on Team Prince Charming shirt*

I loved that episode XD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 05:03:23 PM »
Since I never saw the G3 cartoons I never shipped.. in fact.. unless the characters where male and female I would never ship. I would say I'm curious in some of these, but with my point of view that would be opening a can of worms... As far as I know, all the G3 characters are female so for me no shipping would occur and I find it would be hard for me to convert some of them to males...
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Always dresses in style
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2014, 05:34:58 PM »
Rainbow Dash wanting to be with Sunny Daze but she wasn't interested
This is... surprisingly accurate... to this Rainbow Dash's love life too.  Obviously not with Sunny Daze (or any other pony) but since that's my screen name I have to make the connection.  Nobody loves me.

Was shipping even a thing pre G4? I will admit to never even having heard the phrase or come across the need for it before this current generation.
I'm right there with you.  Shipping just leaves me scratching my head.  Insert romance where there is none and somehow this is a recipe for success.  I just don't get it.
Shipping can exist within all medias depending one's own perspective, and imagination - shows like this where everyone just seems so close makes it a lot easier, but I am speaking as someone who has always been a "shipper" since I was a kid, so I would have shipped ponies in someway as a kid if I had watched it more back then.

Where did the idea that people include romantic shipping to boost the success?  If I was to even at the very least imply romantic shipping it's because I personally see it that way.  If we only did what we thought others wanted to see, rather than how percieve things there would be no original fanon anywhere (if that's what Rainbow Dash meant, I appologise if it wasn't).

If you spend any time on deviantART or a certain FIM specific fiction site, you'll find shipping stories, shipping art, shipping, shipping, shipping.  If there was any more shipping Fed Ex and UPS would go out of business...  I find it funny, however, that many of these artists/authors will switch pairings on a whim.  Might be FlutterDash one day but AppleDash another.

But, look, its probably its just me. It seems understandable when we are talking about adult humans in tv shows where there is romance or the content is geared at adults against when we are talking about cartoon ponies which are for children. Maybe its just that I have always thought the need or desire to sexualise everything is a little unnecessary. To each their own however.

I assure you that it's not just you.  Once again you've expressed what I wanted to say more eloquently than I would have.

If Applejack and Rainbow Dash (or Fluttershy and Big Macintosh, or Star Catcher and Minty, or Tex and Truly) are in a relationship, it stands to reason that at some point, the two of them would start doing it like they do on the Discovery Channel.  And I don't need that mental image.  So even if a fic or pic is G-rated, the implications go well beyond that.

As for friendshipping, uh, aren't they all already friends to begin with?  Do we really need a specific term to basically say 'this is light shipping without all the making out'?
Rainbow Dash always dresses in style.

Offline lockette

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • twice as fancy as you
    • View Profile
    • toylockette.tumblr
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2014, 06:08:56 PM »
as far as friendshipping goes, it's about having an especially notable interest in the platonic relationship between two characters. like yay sure they're all friends whoopee but THOSE TWO THEIR FRIENDSHIP IS JUST SO GREAT I GET REALLY EXCITED ABOUT THEIR FRIENDSHIP... that's friendshipping. I get really excited about relationships between fictional characters, be it familial, platonic, romantic, or even just "physical" ahem, though I don't extend that very much to MLP (though I do pair them up sometimes, I don't get too invested in it) ... romantic relationships are just one kind of relationship to get excited about.

as far as G3, if I were to ship anyone, it'd be Minty and Pinkie Pie. err, actually more like G3 Minty and FiM Pinkie Pie, really. the G3 cartoon didn't have enough characterization or substance for me to get invested in it at all q:
:rainbow: toylockette on tumblr & instagram!
& check out g1mlp & g3mlp on tumblr!

☆☆ wish list! ☆☆ ISO baby sparkle Firefly w/ dark gold tail factory error!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2014, 06:45:21 AM »
If you spend any time on deviantART or a certain FIM specific fiction site, you'll find shipping stories, shipping art, shipping, shipping, shipping.  If there was any more shipping Fed Ex and UPS would go out of business...  I find it funny, however, that many of these artists/authors will switch pairings on a whim.  Might be FlutterDash one day but AppleDash another.
I do spend a lot of time on DeviantArt, it is my main go-to place for pony art, as I know that I am very unlikely to run into the kind of art I never want to see when it comes to MLP (think of a rule with a two digit number), but I can see what you mean now that you've pointed it out to me.  Some artists/writers probably to switch who they're shipping, and maybe it is for the viewers (but it is possible to like more than one paring, I guess).  I guess I just never noticed it as I mostly just favorite what I like, and take more notice of if it's something I like, if that makes sense.

For the most part if I was to include shipping in my artwork (if I had any) it would be mostly consistant, because it is part of the "storyline" I would have set up by now, if that makes sense.  Thanks for explaining what you mean, and you are probably right, but there are exceptions.

If Applejack and Rainbow Dash (or Fluttershy and Big Macintosh, or Star Catcher and Minty, or Tex and Truly) are in a relationship, it stands to reason that at some point, the two of them would start doing it like they do on the Discovery Channel.  And I don't need that mental image.  So even if a fic or pic is G-rated, the implications go well beyond that.
Ah, that is what was meant by "sexualize".  Well, I can understand what you mean, but I just choose not to let it conjur up that image, but we are all different, and look at things differently, so I understand if there are some who look at it like this.

As for friendshipping, uh, aren't they all already friends to begin with?  Do we really need a specific term to basically say 'this is light shipping without all the making out'?
Pretty much what Lockette said, but to extend it's like they're not just best friends, they are beyond that, they don't just like each other as friends, but love each other as friends, but it is different to loving someone the romantic way.  It's difficult to put in words, but that's basically it.

the G3 cartoon didn't have enough characterization or substance for me to get invested in it at all q:
Dissagree with this, but to each their own.

I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2014, 07:21:18 AM »
I agree that, at least in pony communities, "shipping" wasn't prevalent much at all before G4.

I drew this

and it got labeled "lesbian shipping" on certain imageboards. THEY'RE JUST HUGGING. WHY. I can't draw ponies hugging without certain persons thinking there's connotations.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2014, 08:13:51 AM »
I agree that, at least in pony communities, "shipping" wasn't prevalent much at all before G4.

I drew this

and it got labeled "lesbian shipping" on certain imageboards. THEY'RE JUST HUGGING. WHY. I can't draw ponies hugging without certain persons thinking there's connotations.
It's kind of like when it looked like G4 Rainbow Dash kissed G4 Fluttershy in the season 2 finale, practically everyone I saw mention it thought that it had to mean that they were now lovers, when some girls actually do kiss their friends, and it means no more than when, say a parent kisses a child.

They probably didn't even kiss at all, but I at the time thought they did, and still like to imagine they did, but I always took it to be a Friendship kiss, not a romantic kiss (and this is coming from someone who actually ships romantic Flutterdash).
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »
HollowZero that picture is absolutely beautiful!

MJNSEIFER, I can completely understand your opinion and it is a beautiful thought that romance is a completely innocent thing. And perhaps in a 1950's Harlequin/Mills & Boon it is; in today's age it isn't and whenever I come across it within this fandom it largely is far from meaning "friendship". The very nature of romance implies something has been sexualised - it has to otherwise the word romance is not the right one in the context. 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2014, 05:13:05 PM »
Can I just say at the risk of derailing that "sexualized" is not the right word because everyone has different sexualities in multiple respects and there's no reason that e.g. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash couldn't be just as much in love as they might like and express that in all sorts of verbal/emotional-but-not-physical ways and never go "beyond" chaste pecks or something because there's nothing wrong with that if that's who they are sorry.
<- this is fine
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 05:15:51 PM by VioletCLM »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2014, 07:30:11 AM »
Nope, actually sexualised is exactly the word I mean. As you say people define things differently. I am not expecting people to go with my definition and I likewise dont expect to be told I am not using the word in the context I mean.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »
But... have you not heard of asexuality? Because it genuinely sounds like you're saying it's not possible to romantically love someone without wanting to do specific physical things with them. :( Unless you mean nothing more than orientation, but user Rainbow Dash clearly didn't above, and was not disagreed with.

Forcing this thread back on-topic with a pink hammer, I can certainly see the impetus behind Sky Wishes/Starcatcher, but I worry they might be too one-sided. :| Sky Wishes doesn't strike me as incredibly self-confident, and could easily continue to accord Starcatcher higher status in their relationship, based on Starcatcher's higher confidence and her initial mentorship role in Dancing with the Clouds. And Starcatcher is a pegasus pony, and pegasus ponies are very shy (though in her case it can come off as confidence), and so I worry she might not talk about herself enough, even though doing so would presumably allow Sky Wishes to view her in a less idealized manner. So I dunno. IIRC some people like to say Honolu-Loo is Starcatcher's daughter, and if that were true, I could definitely see Honolu-Loo warming to Sky Wishes, and so Starcatcher, as a single mother, being inspired by that affection to open up and welcome her to the family...

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2014, 12:29:35 PM »
Sexualising something covers any kind of sexuality - whether it be active or passive. Its a terminology. Asexual is also defined as a sexual orientation. Therefore the very fact we are talking about ponies having an asexual relationship is sexualising them. :/

As you say its not a discussion for this board. But as I have said in other threads people are entitled to their own opinions. For many its not an issue and something fun they can add to their enjoyment of the toy/cartoon. For others, like myself, I just find it odd. Neither opinion is wrong.
Loa is my love god!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2014, 12:33:31 PM »
Sexualising something covers any kind of sexuality - whether it be active or passive. Its a terminology. Asexual is also defined as a sexual orientation. Therefore the very fact we are talking about ponies having an asexual relationship is sexualising them. :/

As you say its not a discussion for this board. But as I have said in other threads people are entitled to their own opinions. For many its not an issue and something fun they can add to their enjoyment of the toy/cartoon. For others, like myself, I just find it odd. Neither opinion is wrong.

^^ this x 10000000000000
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2014, 09:26:26 PM »
Egyptian Art Pony (I guess I should name him at some point) and Sun Shimmer.  That's it for me. XD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal