collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So I lost my job today  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Storybelle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
So I lost my job today
« on: January 27, 2017, 02:51:52 PM »
This afternoon the manager asked if I was free to have a word with the CEO. He explained that conferencing has been struggling the past year and hasn't really made it's budget. He's had no choice but to make the hard decision. I was the last one in so it makes sense that I'm the first one out.

I was not expecting when I arrived this morning that it would be my last day. Still a bit in shock but coming to terms with it. Just wondering what I'm going to do now.  :huh:

Anyone got any advice?

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: So I lost my job today
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 04:16:47 PM »
Total bummer!  Will they give you a good reference letter?  Start looking for work at places that appeal to you and maybe try places that you hadn't thought of before.  Is there something you've always wanted to do for work but have never had the guts to try?  At this point the worst they can do is tell you "no" so you might as well just go for it!  You never know what will come from this if you treat it like an opportunity instead of something terrible (even though it really sucks right now).  :) 

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 10:48:54 PM »
:hug:  I'm sorry to hear this.

For starters, I highly recommend taking a moment to breathe and regroup.  Losing a job, no matter the reason, is difficult.  Take time for yourself, whether that means spending time with family/friends, on ponies or on a hobby.  Try to give yourself time before worrying about the next step.

As for the next step, I agree with asking for a letter of recommendation (or at least asking if you can use them as a reference,) if you're on good terms.  And then decide what you want to do next.   
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 01:02:08 PM »
Been there done that, same excuse too.  If you can afford to take a few days just relax before you start looking for new work.

You should ask for a recommendation and make sure your resume (if you have one) is up to date.

Offline Storybelle

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 01:58:46 PM »
Total bummer!  Will they give you a good reference letter?  Start looking for work at places that appeal to you and maybe try places that you hadn't thought of before.  Is there something you've always wanted to do for work but have never had the guts to try?  At this point the worst they can do is tell you "no" so you might as well just go for it!  You never know what will come from this if you treat it like an opportunity instead of something terrible (even though it really sucks right now).  :)

They will, they emphasised that it was no fault of my own and said of course they would give me a good reference. So that's a good thing.

To be honest I'm thinking about looking for part time or something so I can write more? This last job was 10-6 and then I didn't get home til 7 so that didn't leave me much evening to write. Definitely not enough energy. It was super hard to deal with the stress and pressure the job put on my mental health so it might be a blessing in disguise.

It is a bit. I was very much in shock but handling it ok until my manager asked me if I wanted my friends to come in and say goodbye. Then I bawled like a baby.   :lol:

Post Merge: January 28, 2017, 02:29:24 PM

kakenterprise: My dad is keen for me to start job searching right away but I do need a break. Even if it's just a week. I feel like I've been slowly falling apart the last few months because the job was pretty high-stress and 2016 was already doing a good job of kicking my mental health with steel-toed boots. I think a week of sleep and not worrying would be a very good thing. :)

scarletjul: Even if it wasn't the best job ever, it was a job. I'm supposed to be moving out this year and now I have no income. XD Trying to not think about that too much. Still, gonna try and make a plan and figure out what I want to do. I'm sure it'll be ok, trying to focus on the positives right now.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:29:24 PM by Storybelle »

Kanchii

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 04:18:42 PM »
Awww. I'm sorry to hear that.
I hear you need a break, which is fine. I'd recommend start looking for a job though because it can take up to month to get started through the application and interview process. It's scary how long it takes for a lot of companies to hire people. I hope you do leave yourself enough time with your new schedule to do more writing!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 03:33:33 AM »
Kind of been there, and a break is a good thing, as long as it's not too long. I had to go to the unemployment agency the day after my last day in order to get unemployment. Luckily I had known for a month I was gonna let go and could prove I've been looking for new jobs since so I got off pretty easy and could take two weeks off just ajusting before really start searching.
When applying for a new job, try hit the ones who's not advertising. With the unemployment rate being as it is, many companies don't want to deal with too many applications so they await those who come to them instead, that's how I got my current work.

Kanchii

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 11:57:44 AM »
Oh yeah, you should file for unemployment asap because it can take a while to get figured out, and take longer to find a job than you think!

Offline Storybelle

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 01:32:12 PM »
Thanks for the advice and support, guys :) I am slightly freaking out as the market for jobs isn't very good right now so I do need to sign on pretty soon. Trying to not stress about it too much though. I'll ebay for a bit and do temp work if I have to.  ^.^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal