collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rapunzel (I am so sad!)  (Read 3411 times)

Emerald

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Rapunzel (I am so sad!)
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2015, 02:47:08 PM »
Aw I feel bad now that this thread got a little fighty. ClawleenMeowlen is my sister (actually I'm married to her brother but I basically married her too LOL), so she's super protective and understands the situation. I didn't mean for anybody to get upset here, just bumming out over what could have been and looking for some commiseration.

We try to keep our kids' toy collections down to a minimum so that we don't end up needing to downsize a lot to avoid them missing stuff when they're older. Obviously they can't keep EVERYTHING but the important things and/or stuff that we assume may become collectible (like zelfs, etc.) we keep. My mom made me get rid of my stuff when my younger brother was born because I basically became the live in nanny and nobody wanted me to be distracted by toys.  >_<

Either way, though, thank you all for your support! I actually got another pony today as a gift that I never thought I would own and I'll be making a post about it in a minute. :)

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2015, 03:03:52 PM »
:( sadness re your childhood ponies. :) happiness re current ponies :)

Jules x
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline baby_gusty

• Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2015, 03:10:28 PM »
 :sad:
Totally get you're frustration and I'ms ad for your sake! I had some rare accessories with my childhood-ponies that got trashed by my dad when he did a cleaning... little kitty that goes with baby katie for instance, I still remember that cute little kitty with her raised paw *someday* Thankfully he didn't throw away the larger toys, such as the ponies, so they are still with me :heart:

Thank you specialk070581 for puffyavatar
My Wantlist               Looking for Spain Baby Gusty and Baby Gustys Puffysticker

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2015, 09:23:28 PM »
Spoiler
I dont understand parents that get rid of their childrens toys like that. I could never do somehing like that to my child. It should be the childs choice.

Well it has to do with space. We all only have so much space in our rooms and houses and toyboxes. Some of it is about passing down stuff for younger relatives to enjoy too.

I do give away some of my kids toys to younger relatives or charity, I just make sure its the ones she doesn't play with anymore, I never give away her favorites. If I kept every single toy she's ever been given, the poor kid wouldn't be able to sleep in her room. :lol:

This is sensible, but would you give away your child's toys without consulting your child - and while that child is STILL a child herself? 10 is a bit young to decide for the child that she's too young for something you know she still loves. That's what happened with Emerald's toys.

I think some people in this thread are being kind of cavalier and insensitive in the way they're trying to just shrug off something - just because it wouldn't bother you doesn't mean it isn't worth being sad about.  :huh:

She's always there when I do it, and can be very helpful pointing out which toys she does want and which ones she doesn't want. It's not a bad thing to give away stuff she no longer wants to someone else who might love them and as I said before she only has so much space in her toybox and in her room.

Not everyone is cavalier and insensitive just because they give away stuff their kid has outgrown or doesn't want anymore. Would appreciate it kindly if you did not broadbrush. Thank you.

The second part of my comment was meant generally, I only referenced what you said in the first part, because Emerald's experience and yours are two completely different situations. I'm sorry if you took it as being directed at you; I thought separating my thoughts into separate paragraphs would make that clear, but misunderstandings are always going to be a part of text-based interaction, I guess!  :drunk:

To clarify my previous comment, I didn't mean that it's cavalier or insensitive for a parent to respectfully downsize a child's belongings when they've outgrown them - I meant that the attitude some members have responded with in this thread was a bit cavalier and insensitive, in that they seemed to be pretty much along the lines of "oh well,"  and started really veering off topic.

It just always bothers me when people completely brush off another person's feelings simply because it's not something that would have bothered them, personally.  That sort of attitude especially surprised me in this thread, because since we are ALL collectors and lovers of MLP, I would have thought everyone would sympathize when stories like this are shared.  :huh:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 09:25:03 PM by ClawleenMeowlen »

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2015, 05:34:19 PM »
I'm sorry you're having to go through this. I miss my childhood ponies too :( But as a parent, I do understand a parents need to often down size on some things a child has. my daughter has a large room and too much to fit into it, too much for one child thats for certain. Somethings I can put into storage because she won't use them. But others, I know she would never miss. In fact, I've gotten rid of a lot of my daughters toys and she never even realized they were missing. But I'd never get rid of ones she obviously cares about <3

All my love hunni <3

Emerald

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2015, 05:49:03 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I totally understand having to downsize for whatever reason. I have three kids myself and most of their toys are in storage because of our current living situation. My toys were taken from me when my younger brother was born because I had to "grow up and help the family," which was essentially code for parent your brother. It is what it is now (a looooong time later) but it definitely fuels my need for getting my childhood toys back.

Offline DappledHazel

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2015, 03:24:44 PM »
I get super sad when I see my old favorites pop up on ebay (movie Firefly and Goldilocks) since I don't have money to buy anything right now. I had A TON of ponies as a child and don't even remember one Rapunzel, let alone two. I wish I had just oooooone of them still. I have to admit I get jealous of those of you who still have your childhood collections.

Don't worry, you aren't the only one who 'lost' a lot of your childhood toys. Hopefully you will get her eventually. :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:34:19 PM by DappledHazel »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal