collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To open or not to open...  (Read 922 times)

Offline kirinafa

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
To open or not to open...
« on: December 06, 2013, 01:08:30 PM »
Hello all!
I'm rather new here and to collecting in general. For the past two years whenever i see a new G4 fluttershy i snatch it and just leave her in the package.

Now my question is, do you leave yours in the package or do you take them out? I know to keep the price up would be to keep her sealed, but what do most do? I look to start expanding my collection and maybe even start completing sets eventually. Is it really hard to find the more rare G4s still in its package? How big of a task is it really to complete collections?

Flugangst

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: To open or not to open...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 01:32:44 PM »
I pick and choose which I open and leave in box. Like, my exclusives for example are all in box. Not because I plan on getting rid of them in the future, but just for some reason it doesn't feel right opening them. Such as Rainbow Dash Shadowbolt, Zecora, SDCC Muffin pony...

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 01:49:57 PM »
 if you can get  2 ,one to open and one to keep mib that would be the best , on my first year  I opened everything I was getting , but then I started leaving some in their boxes and buying a second one of the ones I had opened to also keep mib ,mostly I kinda started doing that because of the buy 1 get one  50 % off  sales:)  so sometimes I get them right away when they get released and if they are later on sale I get them again and open them , some of them I never open, and only get one like the pinkie's boutique stuff :)
I recently opened   my second  CMC set  after I got it  with a coupon at target , also the  Favorites Set and Masquerade ponies after a sale at TRU :)
If you are going after the old  releases from 2010-2012, there are still around but just be patient, there are a lot overpriced ponies on e bay ,but do expect to pay a bit more than retail, I got a new RD and TS fashion Style  recently and it was a long wait until  one of each came out at a decent price .
I also went after the MIB G4's that I had opened before and bought a second one to keep MIB
Blossomforth and Flitterheart were the most expensive ones  30 plus dllrs ,and they are even going for higher now :(
I do find some old releases at Ross for half their original price sometimes though,so it is nice sometimes to find them that cheap .

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:51:39 PM by HoustonCollector72 »
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline starflyer425

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 03:13:20 PM »
i usually keep them outside the box, though i do keep the boxes in a safe place if i decide to sell later. however, with ponies like zecora and shadow bolt dash, i kept them in the box, but the package is open so i can take them out if i want too. however, FS :muffin: Pony will stay snug and sealed tight in her pretty box.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar credit to BotchanMLP on DeviantArt, and the Starflyer equestria girl is by LordBlumiere here on the arena!

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 03:32:57 PM »
I keep mine all in boxes unless I get doubles OR they have a badly damaged box...That's why I opened my EG Doll Rarity :lol:
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Always dresses in style
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 04:18:30 PM »
I open them.  I collect ponies, not cardboard and plastic. ;)
Rainbow Dash always dresses in style.

Offline Rainbow Revolver

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • An actual dog!!
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 04:20:08 PM »
I usually try to buy two if I can so I can take one out xP If I can't I just keep it in the box then!

3DS Friend Code: 0619-4155-8870

gypsyunicorn

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 04:25:58 PM »
hard to get ones leave MIB
I have my TRU exclusives MIB and my SDCC too
now if you can get 2 open 1 otherwise keep MIB and look for loose ones to toy with 2nd hand or in yard sales

Offline shindow

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Derpy's Scrapbook: Collecting Ditsy Doo
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 02:05:38 AM »
Almost all my items are CIB, unless they're part of a larger set (but I collect Muffin pony so most of hers are exclusive/limited). But for example, her future blindbag and her current brushable are going to / are out of the box. My Snuggle Bubble is out of the plastic and when I get the flocked one in today, she's going in a plastic case because that thing will attract cat hair like no tomorrow. :p
Collecting :muffin: Pony / Ditsy Doo?
Check out her latest releases, news, and reviews at:
www.derpyscrapbook.blogspot.com
- The :muffin: Pony collector expert. And I love My Little Pony Tales. And Muffins.

Offline Deep Purple Crystal

• Dazzle Surprise
  • "Jewels! Jewels in your eyes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 02:09:33 AM »
If they are older G4's I'd say no. They might JUST fetch something on ebay if you, say, listed a 2010 Fluttershy.

I kept my Zecora's box when I got her last August, so there's no shame in keeping boxes as memories.

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 02:52:05 AM »
I've opened all my G4s except Diamond Rose. I found her earlier this year and had been looking for her for months so I want to keep her "special"....even though she has a massive black smudge on her nose >.< Thanks, Hasbro QC.

I have a handful still in boxes because I don't actually have space for them at the moment and my other ponies' hair has suddenly frizzed up so I'd rather keep them mint until I have a place to put them so I've not got a tonne of untangling to do.
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 04:39:14 AM »
I set them free.  :biggrin:

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Eurocoin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 06:04:50 AM »
I open all my toys. My personal point of view is that there is no point in collecting/buying toys, if you don't open them.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 06:12:01 AM »
I've been collecting for about 8 months now :) Much like yourself I was keeping everything MIB, I didn't want to open them. Then I had my birthday 3 weeks ago and that's when I decided to start opening a lot of items. For me it has more to do with display space as opposed to anything else.

I was running out of room to hang all of the MIB/MIP items, So what I decided was that I would keep all of my regular brushables (singles) MIB, anything that has 2 or more ponies or a ton of accessories was opened. I put all of the accessories in baggies and put them in a dresser drawer, now the majority of the pony collection is out of package and on display :)

I think it looks better now that most of them are out of their boxes :)

It really is up to you, you have to do whatever you are most comfortable with ^.^

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 06:38:15 AM »
I de-box almost all of mine- my international exclusives, older ponies (g3 and older), some of the ones I know are just rare and doubles stay in box. Everyone else gets freed. There are a few reasons- first one is space, I have a lot of ponies, enough that they now need there own room. With that many I need to make the best use of all my shelf space, because I hate boxing them up and storing them, if I own them I want them out where I can enjoy them. The second reason is enjoyment- de-boxing a new pony is fun! I like styling there hair and being able to pick them up and show them off. Taking photos of them or dressing them up is a blast! Also I don't plan to sell mine- if I get an upgrade I might sell one who is less perfect but over all selling for a profit is not a goal with my collection.

I think you should consider how you enjoy your collection- do you like the box art? and the way to boxes look on display? Do you have space for all of them? It is a bit easier to keep boxes clean and free of dust. or do you like styling hair and playing around with them? Are you planing to sell them in the future?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal