collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you collect every single G4 release despite repeats?

Yes, I have to get everything despite not being able to tell which Pinkie Pie is from the various sets!
9 (10%)
Yes, got to have my Army of main 6 ponies!
3 (3.3%)
No, I don't have the space for the Armies of Pinkies to invade my room!
5 (5.6%)
No, because what is the difference between the main ponies from set to set really?
37 (41.1%)
Indifferent. I'll get some of them if something stands out to me
32 (35.6%)
I only collect the Merchandise, not the toys
0 (0%)
Both toys and merchandise! GOT TO SNAG THEM ALL!
4 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: So do you really collect every single release?  (Read 1039 times)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: So do you really collect every single release?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 11:39:01 AM »
Bow Tie - the first option would still count as well as the 2nd option. They are both kind of the same but not. The one that says Main 6 is a general one because I know not everyone wants a Pinkie Army xD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Dusky

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Firebird Designs
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 12:04:25 PM »
I have some of the Twilight variants, I'm actively after the Shine Bright ponies only because they're so different to the regular brushables, other than that I pick up the ponies that I like from each wave. I might get an entire wave of non-mane-6 ponies when I see them, but like as not I'll pass on the ones I don't like to collectors in case anyone is trying to complete a set.

Mostly what's putting me off is the resale prices of ponies, so if I want Ploomette I'll end up spending ~£20 to get her.

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 12:12:41 PM »
I only purposely buy a variation of the same character if I see it as an improvement upon the one I already have somehow. Most of my doubles and variants I have accumulated have been because they came in a set with another pony.

(Having a BB, playful pony, FS ver. etc. of the same pony doesn't count to me as I see them as different lines in my collection.)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:20:29 PM by 3377345 »

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 12:21:44 PM »
For the most part, I won't get any repeat sets if the pony is the exact same as every other set (which it usually is). One exception will be the re-release of FS Pinkie Pie because the new one comes with the umbrella hat she wears in "Pinkie Keen".

I will also get doubles if they come in exclusive sets with other ponies I don't have/haven't been released previously. In those cases I'll set aside any doubles for customizing.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 12:24:02 PM »
I definitely do not collect every release.  Ugh, that sounds exhausting and unfun. 
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Saber-Toothed Crow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 12:48:05 PM »
I try to avoid doubles whenever I can. I just don't have the money to try and grab every release, and it sounds exhausting. Don't have the room for loads of doubles either. The only time I end up with doubles is if they're packaged with another pony I really want, though in most cases I still won't pick it up. Don't want to pay extra money when there's really only on pony in the package I want.

Thanks Jennifer2004 for my sig and Shaiyeh for my avi! ~formerly Crowpriest~

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 12:53:32 PM »
I'm indifferent.  I really like the toys but I only buy them if I'm in the mood.  Making room for them all and keeping them clean, brushed and dust free also limits how many I display and therefore buy.  I have to really, really want it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:55:23 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline GustyFox

• Trade Count: (+102)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • A Planewalker fox in human disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 01:00:23 PM »
I try to avoid doubles (even if the pose is different) but I end up with doubles anyway because some sets are must have for me, like Favorited collection gave me some extra RD and Pinkie.
I avoid stuff like glimmer wings.

I was going to stick with a few favs but already failed that plan >.< I can't stand uncompleted sets/waves in my collection. :P

Lovely GustyFox adoptable by MoonFlower. Thank you.

Offline ShannonInPonyland

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 01:04:40 PM »
I try to avoid having 50 Twilight Sparkles and Pinkie Pies, so like when they had the singles with the luggage I got those but didn't get the wedding singles because they are the exact same ponies just with different accessories. I did however get the Crystal Empire singles because of the tinsel hair. I will get a few of the same pony as long as they have something different about each, for example: different poses (some have a raised leg), tinsel, symbol on the opposite side, glittery symbol :)

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 01:54:51 PM »
I am not sure how to answer the poll. I collect just the brushables and I just try to get one of each pony.

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 02:00:19 PM »
Nope, I specifically don't do that.  I prefer to keep it one of each pony.  I do have blindbag/brushable and most styling size as an exception, and if it is a completely different mold maybe (like with the different Celestias).  I do definitely have doubles of the main, but only when they are released with another pony I don't already have, and as I keep them MIB they stay in my herd.  Also I do have a bunch of AJs and RDs because they're my sort of army ponies from pre-g4.  I don't get the same pony in the same pose just because she was released another way, but if she's noticeably different I'll usually get her.

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 02:13:04 PM »
I prefer to just have one of each... but have a serious weak spot for "special" versions, like playful size Rarity that has a sparkly cutie mark and horn!  <3  (came with the boutique set)

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 03:26:46 PM »
I have *almost* every pony/set that's been listed in the thread at the top of the forum that's been released so far, MIB. All of the playful ponies with pets, traveling ponies, wedding singles, and crystal empire singles. I think I have at least 4, if not 5 sets of the main six MIB spread out over those releases. I also have some of the variants for each wave, like bangs/no bangs, and dvd/no dvd. I also have a lot of the international only releases, I think the only set I'm missing is the French Rarity's Carousel. I'm also missing the Story-Teller stuffed ponies, Pinkie Pie Learns To Walk, and the plushies released in 2010-11, otherwise I'm just waiting for all the new things to show up in my stores. I also have Waves 1, 3, and 4 complete of the blindbags, the two TRU blindbag sets, the Walmart blindbag set, and all 6 3 packs.

Then I have doubles of some ponies that I wanted loose. At least one each of every character released in the US, brushable sized, and then one of each character of the Fashion Style ponies, except for Applejack (I only have her MIB).

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 04:39:02 PM »
Gosh dx that must be an amazing collection!

When G4 started I fully intended to do something similar - but that is because I had the amazing thought of lots of ponies - different colours, characters, types...an amazing variety. But to be honest in the last year I have realised that is not the case with G4. So now I collect one of each character - I dont need different poses or symbols on a different side or a different hair order or with tinsel or with a funny eye - just one of each character thats all.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 04:58:50 PM »
Nope. The only way I'll buy a reissue is if there is something really unique about it that I like. Otherwise, I avoid them like the plague.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal